Wheel hop issues?..

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Performance' started by MKSRT, Apr 25, 2016.

1. MKSRT

MKSRT Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Brings me back to my 03-04 cobra days. What are you guys doing to fix this, I would like to do rolling burnouts without the car shakeing apart. These factory summer tires can't be attempting hook that good.

2. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Replace rear control arms.

There are billet and round stock versions that have been reported to help

3. themarshall

themarshall Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Step up to dr's that will take some of the hop out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Senderofan

Senderofan Track in, Apex, Track out and Repeat! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Just finished the Spohn Rear Suspension Package this past weekend. Did some testing yesterday and didn't get any hop. The car will spin the tires.....but I think with the rear having all hard bushings in the arms there isn't any slop to start an oscillation.....plus the arms are very solid.....keeps things planted.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Senderofan

Senderofan Track in, Apex, Track out and Repeat! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    [GALLERY=][/GALLERY]

These are the three arms that get replaced on each side. The bushings on the replacement arms do not have the soft black rubber like the OEM arms....but I didn't notice any increase in noise or vibration......just a slight increase in what might be described as being firmer or stiffer in the rear. Here's a link to see what the arms look like....installed:
    Rear Suspension Package - 2005-2015 Chrysler 300C & Dodge Charger, Challenger & Magnum

IMG_2520.JPG IMG_2519.JPG IMG_2514.JPG IMG_2513.JPG

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Never had any wheelhop on mine

7. Slowpoke387

Slowpoke387 VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Stock '15 SRT 392. Massive amounts of wheel hop. So basically it stays planted and you can spin em up?

8. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yep, have done the same thing as Senderofan. Actually it is the bushings like he said, but may as well replace the arms with adjustable units since you need to do lots of work anyway and some good bushings are about the same cost alone. That cures it, Trailing Arms alone DO NOT solve the problem.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Slowpoke387

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ok im sold. How much/where? The whole kit n kabootle...

10. 1 Fast Kat

1 Fast Kat Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I went with the billet arms from Speedlogix and am happy so far.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Slowpoke387

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ok i clicked on the link for this kit. So choosing all of the adjustable stuff is the way to go? I wont be installing it so would a good shop know the adjustments or is it safer to just get the tubular stuff.

12. Senderofan

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I did not go with the adjustable arms. I'm not planning to lower the vehicle so I went with the solid arms. You can get arms from SpeedLogix, BWoody....I went straight to Spohn.....This is the whole kit:
    Rear Suspension Package - 2005-2015 Chrysler 300C & Dodge Charger, Challenger & Magnum

And yes.....I mean the car spins the tires and takes off. I didn't experience any hop....where as before, it wasn't too difficult to induce hop. But as always, YMMV?

• Like Like x 1
  13. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Okay, as a member of NASA (National Autosport Association) I receive their monthly Speed News electronic magazine. Last month they had an excellent article explaining this destructive WHEEL HOP motion. The link is for a Mustang by BMR suspension that makes aftermarket bushings. I would suggest viewing. The IRS of a Mustang is similar to our suspension. I have posted I suspect the rear lower arm is the criminal in this. Why? I have replaced the Trailing Arms, still hopped like a rabbit. Then saw this about the same time my friend Speedman (this forum) told me about the Spohn arms. After looking at the OEM arms, notice the lower rear has dirt cheap Mexican bushings. My John Deere tractor has better looking wheel bearings than these pieces of chit. The upper front has more firm bushings and looks like adjustable units, I am not convinced it is criminal in this, but until someone just changes one at a time we can't be sure. Senderofan, me and Speedman have certainly discovered that after the PIA install of the two members on each side that contain four new Delrin bushings, the wheel hop is GONE! Later! The Hellcat spins freely now. So much that these new Nitto NT05 315/35's are junk IMO. Nitto, I will burn these to a pulp some afternoon when I really get pissed because it feels like I am driving on an damn icy road and it is 70 out. Another $1040 for four tires wasted. Next year I am either doing some Michlien PSS or just putting a 305/35 PZero on the back with stock fronts. They stick better than these cheap things. I know because my PZero 315/35's recorded solid 1/2 second better 0-60's. EASY!

Check out this informative video courtesy of the NASA link in their March issue and BMR suspension.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Slowpoke387

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ok so whaddya figure time-wise if brought to a reputable shop?

15. Srt8u

Srt8u Silver Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Glad you are enjoying them, and to the OP, here is some info on our billet arms. Our arms are the only billet arms on the market we have a solid billet tension arm as well as adjustable billet control arms as well. Beefier than OEM with full adjustability with far superior bushings when compared to OEM. The feedback we continue to get from customers is these hell with proper alignment as well as wheel hop
    Speedlogix Billet Rear Trailing Arms 05-16 Challenger, Charger, 300, Magnum
    Speedlogix Adjustable Billet Rear Control Arms 05-16 Challenger, Charger, 300, Magnum