Wheel touch up paint

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by gerlacher, Jun 12, 2015.

1. gerlacher

gerlacher Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Haven't bothered calling the dealership yet, has anyone else ran into stone chips on their black wheels? I have a few :( drives me nuts. Wondering about a touch up paint?

2. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    the finish appears to be the quality of a can of spray paint...they arent going to look good for long

saw a set that was black chromed for $1,000.....WOW is all i can say...its what im going to do with mine when they get to hacked up...

any touch up you do will show...i dont think you can touch up flat black and have it not stick out...you will have polka dot rims

i had chips from 500 miles on

i figure by 10,000 miles they will be so hacked ill be ready to black chrome them

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Touch up is available on Amazon.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have a few stone chips on mine, does not look too bad yet, so I am going to wait a lil longer before addressing the issue. I will, most likely, replace the rims completely ... I have been looking at a few options. There are some reallllllly pretty rims out there!!

April

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ask StellasHC to show you a pic of his rims.....you will be sold....i believe you send them $4,000.....they send you a set of black chromed rims, you send back your old ones and get $3,000 back

they really, REALLY looked nice on a HC....

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    can you send a link?

i went to amazon and typed -2015 dodge hellcat black rim touch up paint- and nothing came up

they have a universal touch up pen...gloss black....not what id use...thats all i saw from my search

7. HCone

HCone Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    code is RXF, I got my dealer to order me some, it came in yesterday

8. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    When mine are all hacked up I will just not wash them any more, maybe the brake dust will hide stuff.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. monte2310

monte2310 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    I had mine powdercoated for $900. Looks great and I don't have to worry about chips.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. RoadwarriorCA

RoadwarriorCA Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    ...and there's the rub. We are finally at that point of realization that the HC is great to look at but they like to go out and play. They don't really mix well..LOL.
    Personally, I think the best bet, is to keep two sets of tires/rims...one for show and one for play.
    May I suggest....take pictures NOW....it will probably never look the same once "she" gets a taste of the play ground..LOL:D
    BTW..remember the black chrome....nice.

11. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Will send when I get home.

12. Nitemare

Nitemare Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Are the HC wheels not powdercoated as well? I was told my SRT wheels are, and so far I have a spot on two wheels, definitely not a durable finish... one inside a lug barrel from a socket that had rust, and one right by the opening for a lug where I believe the bonehead at Discount Tire who installed my wheel locks hit it with a socket... no way to prove it though, especially since I was standing right there as he did it. I didn't watch his every move since he is the manager and did it by hand as I asked. Got the locks for free since they scratched the wheels on my last car when mounting new tires (was the machine's fault). Should have put them on my damn self.

I thought powdercoating was pretty cheap?

13. monte2310

monte2310 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    I had powdercoating done on my last car for $500. This time I had a clearcoat put on because the brass color I picked did not have any UV protection in it. I was advised it would turn chalky after a while, so the clearcoat was put on to prevent that. I imagine that's why it cost more this time. For what you get, I don't think it's that expensive. It's a lot tougher than paint. My last set of powdercoated wheels fell victim to someone at the dealership playing NASCAR when I had my tires rotated. It didn't chip, it just had a small mark in it.

14. goingsolo2

goingsolo2 Beast will be back bigger and better than ever! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have a few rock chips as well, but in the sunlight you can't see them unless you're up close on the wheel. I will probably wait a bit longer as well and have them powdercoated. Can they powdercoat it to the same sheen as the current wheels? I happen to like it the way it is.

15. monte2310

monte2310 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    The guy who did mine had a pretty big book of colors to choose from. I would imagine they can match it or come very close. I was shooting for Brass Monkey, I got very close. I got some Brass Monkey center caps and the bronze powdercoat on the wheel is very close to the color of the center cap. IMG_0883.JPG