When changing you oil yourself, beware of this:

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Maintenance' started by Driver72, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Today I changed my oil in the Hellcat and came across something I've never experienced before:

When taking off the oil filter, and BEFORE you put on a new one, make sure that the black seal around the oil filter you are taking off, comes off WITH the oil filter and does not stick to the base of the oil filter pan.

Reason I say this:
    Well, I took off the OEM one, let it drain into my oil pan for 10-12 minutes, oiled up the new seal and reached up, twisted it on good and snug then gave it a bit more of a twist.

Fill up car with 6 quarts of the Pennzoil Ultra Premium, start up car wait a couple minutes, look under my car and WTF, there is a small puddle forming as it's dripping very fast out of the oil filter.
    Turn off engine, clean up oil and filter, this time grab wrench and tighten filter another nearly full turn.

Start up engine again, and I'm still getting a small bit of oil leaking out.
    What? Must have wrong oil filter.
    Check the one I ordered, yup that's correct.

Look at OEM one, and notice there is no black seal around it. That's weird I thought, I've never seen an oil filter without a seal around it.
    Then it dawned on me.

I bet it came off and I put the new oil filter on, over top of it, because it stuck to the oil filter pan.
    Mother-effer.
    So I have to remove the new oil filter, losing 1/2 quart of brand new oil and lo and behold, there is two of them. And I kid you not, even the brand new one stuck to the other and came off the oil filter itself.

So, warning to you guys, when you remove the oil filter to change the oil, make sure you check to see that the oil filter seal did NOT come off the oil filter and stick to the oil filter pan other wise you'll have two black seals when you put your new oil filter on, and it won't be a full seal and you'll get leaking oil out of your oil filter.
    Again, I've never had that happen ever on any other car I've changed oil with, so it may be unique to these Mopar oil filters.

But now I have to go to the Autoparts store tomorrow and get another quart of the Ultra Premium, because I lost probably 1/2 quart when I had to take the filter off again.

Lesson learned.

• Useful Useful x 16
    • Like Like x 1
  2. zippy

zippy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks happened to me before too

Sucks, but a good reminder !

• Like Like x 1
  3. cruizinrc

cruizinrc HCC New Jersey State President Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    At least you did not start it and find it leaking after... Tons of pressure
    been there done that what a mess for a extremely anal person to clean up

4. rayzazoo

rayzazoo DRIVESRT.COM Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hehe, ahhh memories.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Srt8Cat

Srt8Cat Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Happened to me on my 413 wedge motor a while back. Same exact thing you went through.

• Like Like x 1
  6. WNY Cat

WNY Cat SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    When I was changing my oil, I took a picture of the oil filter seal surface for no reason at all.o_O Now I have a use for the picture in this thread!:D
    2015-07-03 00.35.04.jpg

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Useful Useful x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

I did start it, that's how you check for any leaks, gotta get the oil moving.
    After 10-12 seconds I noticed a small puddle under the car, and oil dripping from the oil filterand then turned engine off, cleaned up puddle and went to work diagnosing the problem.
    Luckily I figured it out a few minutes later after I inspected the OEM filter and noticed the seal was not on it and must be still on the oil filter assembly pan on the engine. So realized there are two seals up there and therefore oil filter isn't seated all the way. Doh!
    I figure I lost about a cup of oil on the floor that I needed to clean up and close to 1/3-1/2 quart when I had to pull the oil filter off and remove the second seal and put the oil filter back on.
    So I will take one of my other cars to the auto parts store and buy another quart and add 1/3 quart at first and then check levels.
    All is good, but definitely a lesson learned.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Apparently it's quite easy.
    When taking off the old one, the second it comes loose, I turn it face down and set it in the oil pan that I'm draining the old oil into.
    After 10 minutes of draining, you pull out the new filter, oil up the seal and reach up and screw it in.
    I've done this many times on many cars over many years, never has a oil filter seal come apart from the oil filter and stuck to the oil filter pan on the engine.
    Apparently due to the replies here, it's happened many times to many other people.
    Just never me before.

And I did oil the filter gasket before putting on the new one. What I, and apparently many others have done, is not look up oil filter pan on the engine before screwing in the new filter.
    I just laid on my back and reached up there and screwed it in.
    Happens to the best of us apparently. I've been doing some of my oil changes (from time to time) for 25 years or so.
    I used to do it all the time when I was younger to save money and feel the pride of doing it myself, but this has never happened before. And now, it will never happen again. :)

• Useful Useful x 2
  9. cruizinrc

cruizinrc HCC New Jersey State President Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sorry I missed that you started it,when I found out that something was wrong my car sounded like it was leaking air as oil was shooting out I guess from the pressure big mess for me wish it was just a puddle,learned that mistake along time ago
    Ron

• Like Like x 1
  10. fnkychkn

fnkychkn swollen member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Just because you've been lucky for 25 years doesn't mean you're doing it right.
    Always, always, always wipe the mounting surface.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    True, but never said I was doing it right. ;)
    It was on oversight I never considered or had issues with before.
    As stated a few times, I've learned a lesson.

• Like Like x 1
  12. fnkychkn

fnkychkn swollen member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I've seen this happen several times but never to the same person twice.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Noquarter

Noquarter Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I did that once on my old 5.7 jeep and it exploded oil everywhere.. that clean up sucked

14. solo7777

solo7777 SRT Terminator Hellcat Car Club Western Regional President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Kinda embarrassed, but this exact thing happened to me on my very first HC oil change. Except, after firing it up, ALL the oil came out under high pressure. 6 qts. Penzzoil lost to my driveway. $50 down the drain. I couldn't believe it and what a mess to clean up, it still took a couple of months for all the residual oil to make its way out of the engine in places where I couldn't reach. Luckily I had ordered a extra case of oil. Live and learn. I was so pissed at myself for such a rookie mistake. And I'll never use the OEM filter again, only the SRT one.

Oh and I wiped too, but somehow didn't catch it. It was very strange.

15. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    At least you caught it. Unlike my last Honda auto purchase where at 1st oil change at dealer they spaced the oil. Another lesson it's called a dip stick for more than 1 reason.