When to do the first oil change?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Maintenance' started by mxer14, Feb 15, 2015.

1. mxer14

mxer14 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    For my last Challenger, I admit I over "maintenance" the car. First oil change was at 1K and every 3K there after. I commute with it (every other week) and do some spirited driving once in a while (average 9K/year).

A few things I've considered:
    1) The owner's manual recommends every 6,000 with nothing mentioning of the first. I notice oil capacity is only 6 quarts (verses 7 quarts on the 6.4L) which doesn't seem to be a lot to me compare to other manufacturer like Mercedes who runs 9-12 quarts.
    2) Talked to the local service department and service manager told me wait until 3K miles to do the first. Reasoning is that "there are additives for break-in". Makes sense but still not sold on this.
    3) Stick with my original plan of 1K for the first and 3K there after.

I'm wondering what everyone thoughts are on when to do the first oil change? I appreciate the feedback.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    its been stated here that its more like 6.5qts.. , also somewhere I read the oil is changed after the breakin on the dyno...

im at 1060ish and am getting a little antsy.. but will hold off a bit yet.

gonna see where im at in miles when the oil life gauge hits 20%

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  3. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No break in additives in oe fill after car leaves factory.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Daniel Carter

Daniel Carter Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Check engine light came on the other day, diagnostics code of P1524.I have 2153 miles. I took the car in today and apparently that means the oil level is low. So it is topped off now. I will check it again in two weeks to get a baseline on how quickly it is burning through the oil. I am wondering if maybe it wasn't properly filled when I picked it up. Hmm..

5. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    manual recommends checking at every fillup at least during breakin. mine was 3/4qt low at 600miles.. and no I don't check it at every fillup.. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. mxer14

mxer14 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Damn it you guys! Now I have to go check my oil level before I go to sleep.:p

• Funny Funny x 12
    • Like Like x 4
  7. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I check mine every time I drive it. Hit 475 miles on the trip to work today. No oil consumption at this time. :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. HOONAGN

HOONAGN FLOOR IT!

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I changed mine at 1k just a few days ago. I'll vary the oil changes depending on the abuse the car gets. So it can vary from 3 to 5k in between. But it has to be serious abuse for me to change it at 3k. I run my Raptor very hard (actually offroad it) and do the changes at 5k. New synthetic oils can go 5k easy with normal spirited driving.

9. HellcatKid

HellcatKid Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Will change it after 500 miles for first time as I do with all my new rebuilt motors then every 3 k or every year whichever comes first these engines run rich and require changing more often than manual recommends imho!

• Like Like x 3
  10. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Broke 500 this morning. Will schedule oil change ASAP.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Next Phase

Next Phase Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would check the oil levels regularly up to 2k miles. First oil change will be at 500 and sending a sample to Blackstone labs. I will probably change the oil at 5k miles unless it is getting tracked a lot.

I change the 300 at 5k miles (wife's daily) and I change the Jeep at 4k miles (our weekend grocery getter). Viper is once a year. Benz says every 13k miles....but that to me is way too long. I'll probably change it every 7k miles (takes 8.5 quarts)

Anyone running a catch can on their HC???? I'm running one ob the Jeep and 300 and the 6.1s have a lit of blow by. I imagine the same with the 6.4s and the HC.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Paladin06

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I recall reading on this forum that a catch can is not required due to the engine design.

13. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    High capacity sumps are all about long drain intervals. The German cars with 9 to 12 quart sumps (I have two of those) usually recommend changes between 10 and 15K miles. I change mine at 6K (I figure oil is cheaper than motors). I do it myself so no big deal.

I think it is odd the Hellcat has less oil capacity vs. the Apache (oil is used for cooling too -- more is better) but I'm sure it is more than adequate for the recommended interval when using the specified oil.

I was always a proponent of changing the oil early (1K) but I"m honestly not so sure that makes good sense. Some of the factory oils have different break in additives in them (I have no idea if this engine does but maybe someone with inside info knows).

I'm not sure what I'm going to do on my car. Change at 1K, 3K.... I don't think I'll ever go past 5K.

Is the doctor in the house? I'd be interested to here what DRBuick says.

If you are really interested start sending your used oil out for oil samples. It will add about $40 to the cost of the oil change but it's amazing what they can tell you about the condition of your motor from what is in the used oil. I used to do it on my diesel truck (out of curiosity) and it was very interesting information. I had a good engine and my air filtration was working well...

14. VanishingPoint

VanishingPoint Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    A lot of myths surrounding "oil changes" and "oil additives" etc. I have heard of "break in" oil before, but don't know with the SRTs.
    IF there is break in oil, and they say run till 3K, leave it.

If not, for middle of the road peace of mind, I would say 500-1,000 miles is a good mid point.

If you have less faith in the oil filter, then maybe 500 miles. If this is the case, heck, a simple transfusion with no filter change/wrestling with oil cooler could be utilized to reduce the unfiltered particulate in the oil's mass. The half quart of "newish" oil in the cooler won't make a difference IMHO-again-assuming your oil filter will not be clogged at 1K unless something is grotesquely wrong. Then do full oil/filter changes at manufactures suggestion.

YMMV...

Synthetic oil is truly superior not only for its lubricity, but its ability to take higher heat and sustain it's labeled quality longer. A test (I have no link to, and can barely recall) was done where they measure various weights of oil over time, and with conventional motor oil such as 10W 40 after 1,000-2000 miles was found to be like a 20-30 weight. The syns in the test were less effected, and over more mileage.

What a lot of people don't do is change rear differential fluid early, which turn to crap a lot quicker than one thinks during the first 1-5K. I have done that before on brand new vehicles (after a few K) only to find the fluid in deplorable condition. You can consider trans fluid to, but maybe at 3-5K for peace of mind too.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  15. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good advice on the rear diff fluid... Personally I wouldn't bother with the trans until about 25K (unless you are at the drag strip daily). When you see the price of the ZF/Mopar fluid you might change your mind too. I think ZF uses some sort of unobtainium in their fluids. The stuff ain't cheap!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1