Which is better for street traction

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Wheels and Tires' started by DNTBTHR, Mar 21, 2016.

1. DNTBTHR

DNTBTHR Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Which is better nitro 555r or nt05 thanks

2. dragrcr

dragrcr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You're comparing an R tire to a non R?
    The NT555R is a good compromise if you want them to last at all. Just keep in mind if you burn them on the street or even if you are "on it" a lot, then won's last long at all. One member on here burned up a set of Mickey Thompson Drag Radials in 200 miles.

The NT05R will probably hook the best. But will not last that long. The NT05 would be a good all around tire and will last probably 10,000 miles max on the back of a Hellcat.

I plan on running the NT555R in a 305/45R18 on the back of my Hellcat as my daily driver tire. I expect to get 10,000 by driving normal and rarely ever getting on it and NEVER any Static burnouts on the street. I am selling my stock wheels/tires and will never run them again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    555r for daily driving, you'll get longer treadlife. Mine hook extremely well, vastly superior to the stock P-Zeros.

Won't hook like an MT DR, but you'll want treadlife and the ability to drive in the rain I would think.

4. ManicMechanicMD

ManicMechanicMD Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I was about to pull the trigger but some people were saying that you need quite a bit of heat in them for it to work well. Given that it's 30mm wider than the stock, the 555R should hook better I would think. Here in Kansas, we're still having some cool mornings...36 F this morning. I know that's too cold even for the summer P-Zero's I have. I know the stock tires will be better in rain, but I don't want to put the 555R's on and find that they're really not all that better.

You have found that they're good for street use? I don't plan on tracking the car and am just looking for something that hooks easier because it's just so hard to really put the power down with the stock tires, IMHO.

5. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

We were in the 80s when I ordered my tires and as luck would have it, we hit 40 degrees the day I went to get them put on. I was leery about driving it home, but found no issues when I did. Once I got off the freeway, i did a couple little hits from a stop and the car just went... no spinning. But since it was cold streets, I wasn't doing any WOT launches either.

Since then we have been up and down from the 50s to the 80s (Springtime in Dallas), and I can say that without a doubt, there is a noticeable difference between the Pirellis and the Nittos, and I will never go back. I only got 6k miles out of my stock tires in the rear (fronts still looked like new) because at pretty much any speed under 70mph when you slam the throttle, the tires would spin. Sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. All the way through acceleration till you let off. You don't always know it either... but the treadlife tells you the story. Once I put the Nittos on, my car got faster. Much faster. Because the tires were no longer slipping, the car just propels forward.

• Like Like x 1
  6. HERD_HELLCAT

HERD_HELLCAT Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Bandit, do you have your nittos on the stock wheels or did you get wider ones?

7. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Stock wheels. 305s fit great

8. HERD_HELLCAT

HERD_HELLCAT Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    sweet. Did you have any trouble finding a place that would mount the tires? I think people on the forum were having issues with places not wanting to mount wider tires on the stock wheels?

9. ManicMechanicMD

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    That's what I am looking for. Thanks!

10. frank358fr

frank358fr Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I'm looking for better rear tires. Can I keep my P-Zero in front and put 555R on the back of my Hellcat? And can you tell me what exact size you put on your stock wheels? 305-35-20?
    Thanks

11. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

I have the stock P-Zeros up front and the NT555r's on the rear... all stock wheel.

DR size is 305/35/20

12. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

I got lucky because my Dodge dealer just got some new fancy mounting machine that doesn't touch your wheels. But my writer said that prior to getting that machine (I was the 1st customer on it actually), they might have had a hard time.

So you will need to ask around prior to dropping your car off somewhere.

13. ManicMechanicMD

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    My dealer has the same machine. Amazingly, they still f*cked it up and marred the finish on the wheel. A wheel repair guy did an absolutely amazing job on it but they started to say "well the machine doesn't touch the wheel so that's not possible." Funny, because the only wheel they moved the tire on was the one that had the defect. Anyway, they paid to fix it.

14. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

OUCH that blows. This is exactly why all my tire changes will be done at a dealership. IF the wheel gets messed up, no tire place is gonna replace my wheels, but my dealership will.

15. frank358fr

frank358fr Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Awesome! And can you tell me if the speedometer is right or the speed is off a little bit since it's not the right size at the rear?