whistle sound???

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat' started by Gabes hellcat, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Gabes hellcat

Gabes hellcat Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Hey everyone. So I've been driving my 2016 charger hc for about 800kms now and I've started to notice a kind of a whistling sound under slight acceleration. I had a 2015 challenger hc and it never made this sound. Now before anyone says..."uhhhhh its the supercharger" lol. It's definitely not, it's a completely secondary sound which is pretty annoying actually. Almost like an old-school carburetor vacuum leak!
    Has anyone experienced this??

Thanks.
    Gabe

2. Mills

Mills Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Perhaps the rear or tranny. I think I hear it sometimes in mine as well. Not consistent, and only under very slight throttle cruising around 60 - 80 km/hr. 1st time I heard it I went to parking lots and did some figure 8's and haven't noticed it since

My ram has the same sound (very faint whistle/whine) from day 1 and zero issues now at 80k kms. Dealer took it for a drive when new, heard it, then we drove 2 other rams they had and both did it so I have to assume it's in the gear machining

Can only hear it if radio is off and no one is talking inside. But yes - it's annoying to someone that any noise / rattle / squeak drives them nuts like me haha

3. Gabes hellcat

Gabes hellcat Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    yeahhh it's definitely coming from the engine somewhere...not the rearend or trans.

4. Parawxman

Parawxman Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Have the same sound here too on 16 Charger HC. Light throttle, sounds like a bypass hissing. Only have 400 miles on the car now, will keep listening to narrow it down

5. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    when driving my car after dark and the temp is cooler than during day (85-90+) I can hear what I think you are talking about. I only have 600 miles on it and I don't drive it enough to make a decision on whether or not it is a issue.
    When it makes the noise for me, I am under a very slight load, with no other cars around, can hear this high pitched noise, I only had had my driver window open, as I tired to narrow it down to one side or another. The noise was the same to me when either window was open which tells me it may be coming from the center of the hood area (maybe)
    Looking forward to seeing some responses, I will also do some research on it too.

6. BamaTurnUp

BamaTurnUp Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I have BWoody CAI I have the same noise when I accelerate slightly. Not sure if you have aftermarket intake but on mine when throttle body opens and a little air starts to squeeze through you get the whistle noise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Sammy123

Sammy123 Active Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I started noticing this noise as well. Under light throttle, I can hear a "whistle" in addition to the supercharger whine. Sounds like a leak somewhere.

Is there such a thing as "boost leak" on these cars? Has anyone been able to pinpoint the source and fix it?

8. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Likely exhaust valve warranty you get a new exhaust. (If it happens on acceleration and not when foot removed from gas pedal. Sounds like high pitched whistle not continous.) Sticky valve.

9. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Same for you. Brief high pitched sounds like whistle almost squeak, there then gone on acceleration then that's it.

10. TallCool1

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Same for you.

11. TallCool1

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Likely same for you.

12. TallCool1

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Have a tech put car in gear on lift hit gas pedal, they can do that safe immediately identifiable. A good tech will prove it by ear in ride along.

To verify yourself. Track mode i find best works. Accelerate to 40mph in auto shift on quiet road. Very quiet area. Crack windows. Lift foot completely off gas. Slowly re apply throttle. Almost immediately you will hear whistle it will be brief and last only as long as it takes valves to open. Adjust as necessary as far as this procedure. Vary mph up down +/- 10 switch between track and sport you should be able to replicate.

Once you find it, with very sensitive throttle you can make it last longer and barely change pitch.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  13. Parawxman

Parawxman Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Appreciate the info...will get it checked out and post some results

• Like Like x 1
  14. MAXKILLS

MAXKILLS Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I heard a squeak or tear type sound out of either the drivers or passengers seat.