Who Has 11' inchers On The Rear??

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Wheels and Tires' started by VanishingPoint, Oct 30, 2015.

1. VanishingPoint

VanishingPoint Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Post the most pics you can, the offset, and what rubs & where please.

I need room for an 11 inch rim in the rear without it sticking out more than a few mm...

2. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    VP I am going to give you my opinion, based on actual pictures and examples. If you can figure to get another 1/4" each side of that 10.5" wheel after viewing and reading, let me know.

Stock wheel, with a 305/35. Works, but it actually is not effective, much of the thread will not contact the road until you get the pressure < 20psi. Looks good, fits great, can lower the car. A 305/35 on a 10.5" wheel as shown below is perfect, I bet. But keep reading, remember, my opinion.

image.jpg

Ok, now we have what I believe is the largest piece of rubber that would be acceptable, and in some circles they will say it sticks out to far, most say just about right, I do not believe you can lower the car, and I proved it again today taking a sharp corner, they will rub all the way to the steel, and again, this tire really wants a wider wheel to be totally effective. Specs here is a 10.5" wheel, approximately at 20 mm backset (wheels are cut 25 mm backset with a spacer of about 3/8" installed). VP note, you asked about getting an 11" wheel to not stick out further than stock, this 10.5" sticks out more than stock. Tire is the largest 315/35 tire sold. The Pirelli PZero 106Y has a section width of 12.6". I have seen one other recently, do not recall the name that was that wide. The Nitto and most other brands (I believe every one I have looked at) 315/35 allows a 27 mm backset with no rubbing.

Also, folks the car does not like these tires for handling. Strange but true, I could not believe how much more "fun" my car was to drive with the stock tires (PZero 275/40 all around) when I put them on after driving this configuration for about 4000 mi, last month. Had them on for a week and took it road racing, and had a blast! I will probably NOT purchase a tire this wide for the street again for this car. Day trip or wheel/tire change at the dragstrip, fine go for it. But it seems like we have seen good hooks with 305/35 or about that width or more narrow with the MT racing tires.

image.jpg

Okay, my conclusion and answer, impossible. 10.5" puts a wide 315 into the steel, sounds awful and I need new rear wheelwells, they chewed them up of course. You cannot expect to take the tire another 1/4" into the car and it will work. Cannot stick out more, that is what you said was a limiting decision point. You must stick out another 1/4", at 20mm. You want to take that 1/4" into the backset, won't work, you will not be able to put the rubber you want on an 11" on it and not rub.

Check out my thread about the ceremony we held today for my rears...
    A proper pre-disposal ceremony | SRT Hellcat Forum

Attached Files:

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. VanishingPoint

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I posted in the wrong spot-

I am trying to find a DOT road course slick, and I found a Hoosier at 28.1 inches tall on a 19 inch rim, however can't seem to find it now. Would love if it was a 20, but...there ain't one.

4. DGatzby

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What have you found for 20" anything? I think we are basically saying the same thing in two threads, funny. I think I will put my independent tire guy on a hunt and see what he can come up with. I am afraid, 10" fronts may be needed to fit about anything, and I screwed that up. May have to sell/buy some wheels this winter.

5. fflundy

fflundy Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    GREAT R&D Gazt!!! I appreciate your write-up! Saves a lot of time, money, and damage it sounds like too! Going to put the Hellcat away in the coming weeks! Been a fun summer! Thanks Dodge/SRT!!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. VanishingPoint

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Actually Dr. G I posted in the wrong forum. I think I found some super sticky 295 (60 wear rating) but again, they need a 10.5 to really put the flat part down.

Two things need to happen:

1. Someone needs to gut the inner well and maybe weld so 10.5's really work on lowered vehicles too.
    2. Someone needs to push the edge of the fender out just wide enough so 11's don't look ridiculous IMHO.

Why do you think your handling sucked by the way? Too wide of a tire on the rim, or the size made the rear less tossable?

7. BIG DAWG

BIG DAWG Hellcat, 1st Florida Cavalry Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC National Exec. Director HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Triumph (Biz) is working a set of wheels for me, 20x11 rear, 20x10, front. MT Drag Radials, 305 35 20 rear, TBD front. Still working specs...may pooch out from the back, but not adverse depending on the amount of pooch...so to speak...more to follow.

• Like Like x 1
  8. YLWJKT

YLWJKT Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I don't know about the Hellcats but on the SRT8 and scat Pack you can run a 10.5" wheel with MT 305's DR's and they will fit, even on a 1" lowered car.
    An 11" wheel simply will not fit. There's just not enough room inboard no matter what the offset if you don't want the rim to stick out past the fender.
    Depending on the tire size/rim offset you may even need to roll/stretch the fenders with a 10.5" wheel.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. DGatzby

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    1. Yep and 2. yep. Your original request/question is can we go 11". No, without welding or sticking out more than the pictures I posted. Pick your poison, just trying to help. I did register 0.96 lateral on them, so I won't flat say they did not handle, I do have them on 10.5" wheels.

If you find nice 295's we are thinking the same thing...check it out and post up.

My goal is throughout the winter with the Club and Forum here, is to figure out what we all think is best.

Street, drag track, road track... We are lucky to own a car that can do all of that! Amazing.

10. Hb hellcat

Hb hellcat Black Betty...BamAlam!!!

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I would agree 100%. :cool:
    Now that I need tires (and brakes) at 3500 miles, I'm thinking specialty tires for special uses! After all, this a very special car!
    Really happy with ride, handling, and predictability with the stock tire, so will be reinstalling stock on stock for everyday.
    Racing, however, is a bit different.
    Looking at needing six wheels. Four for sticky road racing tires, and two for some Mickey Thompson et's.
    Seems that best handling is with a square setup. So, the question for me is, what is the widest wheel and tire to fit on front?
    For the rear only, my research so far says mickeys are the best launching dot tire in stock sizes,
    Looks like 18's will fit to give more room for sidewall and more leeway for brand preference. Who's tried this? What are your results and impressions? Not worried about clearing front brakes as I'm talking track only scenarios. At the most, driving to track.
    Looking forward to updates and thanks to all for the input so far!
    Eagerly awaiting what winter r & d brings!:cool:

• Like Like x 2