Who has a 2015 Hellcat and a 2015 ZO6?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Driver72, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Met a guy today in his new ZO6.
    He also has a Red Challenger Hellcat.

He's a car, and motorcycle guy, as he owns a motorcycle/powersports dealership.
    He also has a 2008 SRT8 with a 4 liter blower on it, making 1000 hp.

Anyway, of course we talked cars and the Hellcat vs ZO6.
    I mentioned to him, that I've seen several tests where the Hellcat actually gets to 150 mph faster, and will do the 1/2 mile faster.
    His response: "oh for sure, the Hellcat definitely hits harder"

He went onto say, "when both are in track mode, the A8 trans in the Hellcat shifts faster"
    He was there with his business partner who also has a White Challenger Hellcat ordered (he's waiting of course).

They both seemed to agree that the "brick" Hellcat is a brute. I mentioned that's surprising that the much lighter ZO6 doesn't easily walk the Hellcat. He said, well because the Hellcat clearly has more than the 707 hp (he said 800 hp, which I think is too high, probably more like 740-750) but the ZO6's 650 hp rating is closer to accurate.

But the numbers don't lie, in so many tests the ZO6 gets to 60 a tenth or so faster,
    To 100 about the same time, and those times hold equal through 120 mph. But above 120 the Hellcat starts to pull away a bit. He said he definitely believes that, as the ZO6 seems more "relaxed" and the Hellcat more of a brute.

I was looking at the tires on the ZO6 and good God are they wide. 335 size.
    I personally think that if the Hellcat had the 315 size tires on it from the factory (as they SHOULD) the ZO6 would not even be able to get out of the gate faster than the Hellcat.
    It's 0-60 time is faster pretty much exclusively because it has MUCH wider tires and therefore more grip for the launch. Once the Hellcat is above 60 mph and has full grip, it seems to accelerate just as fast for a bit and then begin the reel in process.
    I wonder what a ZO6 could do in the 1/4 mile if it had only 275 size tires on it like the Hellcat.
    I'll bet it would be 11.4-11.5 best.

I know, I know, the ZO6 will dominate on a track with curves....no duh, it's 1000 lbs lighter, it's lower and has a lower center of gravity.
    But I'll bet with the same professional driver, the Hellcat could match or beat the ZO6 on the 5th hot lap. As the ZO6 has major heatsoak issues, the Hellcat not so much. :)
    The ZO6 looks mean though, but personally if I was going track car, I think I'd go for the new GT350 (or 350R if one was REALLY wanting serious track duty) and save $35-45k over the price of the ZO6.

Lastly, I asked the guy, "why did you want to get both the Hellcat and the ZO6?" He replied, "why not?" with a smile. Nice. He was a cool dude. Harvey if you are on these boards, I'll have to swing by your store someday soon, and see all your toys. Thanks

Anybody here have both ZO6 and Hellcat? Would love to here your views on the two cars, even though they are totally different and in different classes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  2. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Don't forget to add that the Z06 is close to 40k more then a hellcat.....I bet if we put 5 grand into a hellcat we will be in the very low 10s

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No doubt.
    I'm not sure why the ZO6 commands $40k more than the Hellcat.
    Smaller car with same size motor, smaller supercharger. Both have 8 speed autos, both have large brakes, nice seats, similar quality interiors, etc. But the Dodge still has more of just about everything, and rear seats too.

If the Hellcat was 10% smaller, and weighed just 10% less (around 4000 lbs) it would embarrass a ZO6 in a straight line and possibly take it on a track too, and still weigh hundreds of pounds more and still not have as low of a center of gravity. It would only need to come standard with wider rear tires.
    I just don't see where the extra $40k is justified from the ZO6...or I guess you could look at it that it just shows everyone what kind of a performance bargain a Hellcat really is. Dodge could probably charge $10-15k more for it, and still sell nearly as well.
    That's why I'm pretty confident the Hellcat's MSRP is going to go up by at least $4-5k for 2016. At least Dodge would be smart too.
    Might make a few thousand people upset, but they'll get over it, and then still write the check.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The Z06 is a great looking car,, but I love my hellcat,, easy to get into,, and looks cool..I'm keeping my hellcat

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. cereal killer

cereal killer Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Had the Z06 for 4 days to do a review on it. I put a lot of miles on it and took it through its paces. Let me cut to the chase. Z06 is an incredible machine, BUT there is no comparison when it comes to the total driving experience. The Hellcat is a loud and raucous experience, all your senses are assaulted. From the NASCAR stock car exhaust note to the supercharger whine to the 707 ponies that break into a full sprint with the slightest hint that you'd like to go fast. The Hellcat taunts you to go fast. It seems the only time its happy is when its gulping gas and kicking ass.

The Z06, on the other hand, feels like a stealthy leopard. You can cruise around, easily abide the local speed laws, and fetch a few groceries along the way. It's a docile car and it doesn't beg to be driven hard. It's surprisingly very very balanced. Matter of fact I got so relaxed and comfortable in it I forgot I was driving a performance machine. I was heading west on the 620 and totally relaxed in the cockpit when I noticed a guy in heading East waving his arm wildy out his drivers side window. I thought to myself "WTH is this guy doing?" Then it dawned on me he was in a Z06 as well and was saying "HI!!" lol

Let me put it this way. The Hellcat is intoxicating and it constantly taunts you to get your 'fix'. You know the fix ;) The need for speed and rambunctiousness fix. The Z06 is a Zen master and will calm your soul. Everything is great, breathe......ahhhhh....no need to go fast.....yes, that's it....relax

No comparison for this driver. The Hellcat gets me in trouble, the Z06 keeps me on the straight and narrow.

• Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Comment on getting this thing quicker.....Got 315 tires on 10.5" wheels, 160 tread wear, big sticky PZeros. We have pulled a 3.8 second 0-60, I may be able to get a wee bit more with a good concrete surface. The 305 DR with the 9.5" wheels pulled a 3.6 second 0-60. These are street numbers so you guys from the prepped tracks don't match up here. The Hellcat can rip that 315 to shreds. It is tough getting traction on the streets. I doubt a larger tire can get the weight penalty any quicker to 60 or 100 or so. It is just two tons plus of weight to get moving, and that is hard to do. BUT! Seems like the 315's set into hooking the road earlier than with the drag radials, so I can't wait to get some additional time trying them out.

I agree with you guys above. I could have purchased a Corvette, matter of fact my dealer is a combo Chev/Dodge/Jeep. But without restating your three opinions above, I obviously agree the Hellcat is a great value for the money. My neighbor who currently has a ZR1, drove it away quietly after piloting my Hellcat.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nutshell

Nutshell Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Z is cool for sure, if I could afford both I would love to have one. I'm not so sure about that Z07 option looks like a damn toy car.

8. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Cereal Killer, that's pretty much exactly what the owner of both that I met today said, and what I mentioned.
    The ZO6 doesn't feel or make you want to go fast, very relaxed and easy going.
    The Hellcat begs you to pound the pavement, nascar style.
    You can easily cruise in the Hellcat for hours and hours, no problem, as we all know.
    But the sound and feel just begs you to occasionally get on it.

I think the owner preferred the Hellcat, as he said, "it hits harder" and the transmission "shifts harder"
    He didn't say anything about preferring the ZO6 or how much better a car it is.
    Again, his business partner has driven both too, has an order for the Hellcat, not a ZO6. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've done 0-60 in 3.7 seconds on the stock P Zeros with only 600 miles on my car, on the street.
    I'm pretty sure with wider tires that had more contact patch, 3.5 would be possible.
    Sure the Vette does like 3.3 but its a combination of wider tires (really sticky with huge contact patches too) and lower weight.
    So yes, in my experience a wider tire that allows even a smidge more traction, hooking up a smidge sooner, which allows you to go full throttle a smidge sooner will get you to 60 and 100 a bit quicker. Hence why so many use DR's. I think the 315 tires are a happy medium between the 275 stock tires and 305 DR's.

10. cereal killer

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Totally agree with your assessment of the Hellcat less one thing (bolded)

It CONSTANTLY begs you to get on it :) :) :) :) :) lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree, I got 3.8 on stock summer tires on the street recently (after about 10 4.0's over the last few weeks....I was finally able to hook up one time in a 90 degree sunny day).

12. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    ohohoh, as for having a vette and hellcat. Personally I will NEVER own a Vette, and I LOVE the look of the Vette. But if I were going to spend that much and get that type of car, I'm sticking with Dodge and getting a Viper. I see 10-20 Vettes everyday on the road. I MIGHT see 1 Viper every month or so.

• Winner Winner x 2
  13. Brad V.

Brad V. Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    image.jpg

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 5
  14. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    ^^What are your thoughts Brad between the two cars?

15. cereal killer

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat