Who has owned or owns both A8 and M6 cat?

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by Hellcatmichael, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Hellcatmichael

Hellcatmichael SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I owned a 15 M6 challenger Hellcat for 10 months and 6000+ miles and found it was fun to drive. I now own a 16 A8 challenger Hellcat for 3 months with 3200 miles on it and find it is fun to drive on steroids. Has anyone owned both and if you could only own one which would it be and why? I don't mean just test drove both I mean driven both for at least .thousands of miles. Challenger vs challenger not challenger vs charger. Hellcat's only.

2. MuscleGarageLA

MuscleGarageLA SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No pizza references today? Lol.

I have the A8 but I test drove an SRT 392 M6. If it were not for this excellent A8 transmission, I would own the M6. Coming from the GT500 which was stick shift, this has been a blessing.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Had some chicken Alfredo pizza yesterday. Delicious.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have a good buddy of mine and friend who is on the site that got bumped for his original buy of a B5 auto and chose to go with and M6 black car.
    He definitely would prefer the automatic eight speed over the manual six speed

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bucks666

Bucks666 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Had a 15 M6 clutch was gone after 1200 miles . Own a 15 A8 now and love it . Multiple people at the time were having clutch issues so I decided not to mess with the manual anymore . Was fun though before the clutch let go . For my build / hp goals I think going auto was the best choice for me personally . Lots of folks stand by the M6 for there own reasons .....

• Like Like x 1
  6. bighit2883

bighit2883 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    With my m6 i put 10k miles on it. Traded it in for an A8 which now has over 8k miles. I love driving stick but this car was meant to be an automatic. Like the op....its like its on steroids. The car is an absolute beast with the a8. It wants to just rip thru anything in its way. Also that i bracket race with it the a8 was the best option. Plus having it be an auto my gf can drive it and put a smile on her face too. She drove the m6 but she wouldn't just take it out for errands like she does with the a8.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Hellcatmichael

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    We don't deliver but I was going to start advertising the fastest pizza delivery in town. Just kidding no delivery.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. kruzin

kruzin Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had a 15 with the M6 and put about 5000 miles on it. Really enjoyed it as it was part of the old school experience. Nothing more fun than cruising the back roads running through the gears. I now have a 16 with the A8 with about 1000 miles so far. I have to tell you my feeling is the A8 seems faster with the extra gears and quick shift. Even though I miss the driving experience with the manual I believe my preference is for the auto. The paddle shift is a hoot to run through and listen to the supercharger whine. Either one is extremely fun to drive and it will come down to personal preference.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. PlumTexasCrazy

PlumTexasCrazy HELLCAT LIFE MEMBER Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had the 15 m6!! It was a blast to drive!! Being inexperienced with 707hp I was spending more time watching gauges and shifting then the road!! Lol.. My 16 a8 well... I just push the pedal!!!lol. Both fantastic cars!!! I'll be keeping the A8!!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. CYCLER

CYCLER SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member HCC Club Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am so glad to hear that people who've switched from M6 to A8 are so pleased.

I love my 2015 B5 Hellcat Challenger
    ( had 4 other Challengers all manual)
    but the Hellcat is one trim level where
    I was on the fence of m6 vs A8.

Have a 2016 Maximum Steel A8 still in D status that's going to replace the B5 M6 .

• Like Like x 2
  11. StellasHC

StellasHC Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

I am another who has owned both.. first the M6... clutch went at the track, and since I track the car a lot, I traded for the A8...

The only thing the A8 does better than the M6 is produce a better timeslip... actually had this conversation with a couple Hellcat owners at the track last night... if I didn't live 15 minutes from the track, and/or didn't race as much as I do, I would own the M6... it's just a much more enjoyable car to drive.....except when you are at the track

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  12. Hellcatmichael

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I enjoyed my M6 on no traffic country roads but I was stuck in one too many 30 minute stop and go traffic jams and I couldn't take it any longer. Now with the A8 I just turn up the A.C. seats, put some right wing talk radio on, maybe some Sinatra or show tunes and smile as I don't even notice the traffic anymore. In the end I'd say if it was a week end drive car I'd wouldn't mind having a M6 back but as a daily driver in traffic A8 all the way. I'm planning a trip to cape cod ma in August 960 miles one way through Washington, Baltimore, New Jersey, New York and Connecticut. I don't think I have it in me with a manual and interstate 95.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2016
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Mattscat

Mattscat Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had a 15 M6 B5, drove it for 1400 miles and found it very difficult trying to keep up with other automatic HC. In our car club there are manuals and auto HC, one of my buddies let me test drive the auto and was instantly sold. Try driving in parades and NYC traffic with a manual. I am now very happy with the 16 A8 Red line red.
    You con not compare the 2 vehicles, auto is the way to go, Auto out performs the manual in every performance category I don't care how experienced of a shifter you are. A HC will always be a HC, and are mint vehicles. Since you asked, and I experienced both, I figured I'd share my opinion,
    Also, Auto trader is flooded with manual 2015 HC. (I'm seeing a pattern here)

14. Jettster

Jettster Gold Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I came out of a 2010 SRT8 M6 that I loved everywhere but the track and in traffic. After test driving a Scat Pack A8 I knew this trans was no joke-end of story...

15. Catscratch Fever

Catscratch Fever Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I been driving for years the 1960's big block corvettes with sticks, same with my Hellcat. Wouldn't want an Auto. The M6 Hellcats are too much car for most. I believe in time with a lot of pounding the A8 will have issues. I'd rather replace a clutch.

• Agree Agree x 5