Who is currently running electric cutouts on their Hellcat?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Performance' started by Bandit, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had DMH Oval boxes on my 06 Magnum SRT8 and it was an absolutely amazing sound. I rarely ever closed them. However, there was an immediate loss in low end torque that we noticed as soon as they were fitted. So much of a difference that from a stop, the car wouldn't just roll out on its own, you had to blip the throttle to goose it into motion. Almost like rolling slowly onto a speed bump. When you closed them, you no longer had to do this. I've heard many people say that this little bit of loss is made up on the top end, you regain that amount of lost torque, so the power isn't really lost... just displaced a bit.

The reason I'm asking for real world experiences right now is because I want to know if the effect is as great or greater on our forced induction cars. I was on the road today next to a Scat Pack owner and we were chatting across a few red lights, and he had cutouts on his Challenger, and it sounded amazing. I miss that sound.

I also cannot go with any other exhaust options because cold starts in the early mornings at home with a STOCK exhaust already cause issues with my neighbors, and wake my kids up if I leave before they get out of bed. A constantly louder exhaust just isn't an option for me. I do want to be able to close off the extra loudness at home, in my garage.

So if you have cutouts on your Hellcat (not interested in hearing about 392s and Scat Packs), please LMK your honest feedback and real world experiences. My car runs flawlessly in all conditions since new (12,000 miles now), and I don't want to reduce my performance, or otherwise cause issues in any way. Thanks in advance.

2. HCone

HCone Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There are a couple of guys on here who have them,I have a set of Noweeds on the way that were just shipped last week
    I have been told that SC cars need the back pressure and not to do it as there will be a performance loss.
    i have also been told there is a gain, ........

So..................... I am going to install them and see what happens.
    How bad can that sound be :)

3. WindowShaker

WindowShaker Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Mine from Noweeds are being delivered tomorrow. Getting them installed on Monday. There's a couple posts on here with videos of Cats with them.

4. Themip

Themip Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I have the qtp low profile cutouts. For about a year now actually. open the car sounds like a baja or monster truck. It actually is so loud I have lost some of my hearing. It sounds damn amazing but if you run it all the time you will go deaf.
    On the dyno it showed a loss of 7 hp with them open. It is such a small loss you can't feel the difference at all. It seems faster because it's so loud though. Lol. Www.youtube.com/themipband
    Few of my videos have the cutouts open but it doesn't even do justice; it is so loud it actually turns the volume down on my camera haha!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Thanks, but as mentioned, I know how they sound... I need some real world feedback on how the car reacts and drives with them. Let us know when yours are installed!

6. ArkGL01

ArkGL01 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Please post a video. I love electric cut outs on my cars.

7. Themip

Themip Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I told you exactly how the car reacts and drives. Did you read my post? Loss of 7 hp. No noticeable power loss or gain.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Themip

Themip Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Look at my link I posted. I have several vids of my charger with the qtp cutouts.

9. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

I quoted windowshaker, not you. You were posting as I was replying to him.

10. Themip

Themip Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Ah sorry bud. Yea it drives just like stock with them open. While cruising you gotta drop it in the lowest gear possible or the drone is way too much. Also they need to be mounted really high. As high as you can get them off the ground. I got stuck the other day on a large speed bump at Home Depot. Sucked lol.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for the info!

Yeah, I'll be going back to what I had before, the DMH oval boxes. The Mag SRT8 I had them on had coilovers with a slightly lowered and raked stance, so regular square boxes didn't have enough clearance, the ovals worked great.

12. ArkGL01

ArkGL01 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I put them on my 2010 zr1 with headers, tune and pully and it did 0 hp difference open or closed.

13. Rham

Rham Senior Hellcat Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    image.jpeg Noweeds exhaust diverters are the way to go. Just had mine put on last week, trying to find time to get it dyno'd. The sound is awesome and based on my research they're less prone to leak or have to be replaced like QTPs.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Puffy

Puffy Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I want to go this route but I lowered my ride so I'm worried about clearance. The hump getting into the drive is not so friendly.

15. Rham

Rham Senior Hellcat Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Time to get the driveway adjusted! jk

• Agree Agree x 1