Who knows their TV's? Specifically Samsung's

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by NX91Notch, Sep 5, 2015.

1. NX91Notch

NX91Notch Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Since we all enjoy the finer things in life since most drive Hellcat's on this forum and we strive for the best I am pretty sure there are a few on here that enjoy their TV's and know the in's and out's. I have a few questions for TV guru's

First off....I have a pretty strict budget of no more than $2500. But will go up a little if the TV is with out a doubt worth it.

Last week I bought a Samsung 55" curved TV JS9000. I like it that isn't the problem. The problem is the size. The room lay out in my new house can withstand a much bigger TV (it is long and narrow) I think I want to trade it in for a 65" TV. But to stay in the JS9000 series it jumps the price to $3500 well out of my set budget.

Now 2 TV's I have in mind that seem to be very close in spec and reviews. The 65" flat panel JS8500 ($3000) or the 65" curved JU7500 ($2500). The major difference I see between the 2 (besides the curve) is the JS8500 shows off Samsung's nano crystal tech (SUHD) while the JU7500 is just UDH. Will my eyes ever be able to tell the difference?

Also I am pretty set on Samsung's. I have had good luck with their TV's for years. I am not set on curved or flat I can go either way. I bought the curved to start cause I like trying new fads. It does not hamper or improve viewing IMO.

I know there are some audio/video guru's on this board. Seems a good taste in cars goes hand in hand with the audio/video hobby. I know there are higher quality TV's but from my research these ones seem to be pretty decent middle of the road units.

2. Hellcat15

Hellcat15 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Not a guru here but definitely have a house full of tech, and Samsungs and know my way around.
    They make a great tv, but all sets have downfalls and of course high points.
    Whenever I'm contemplating such a purchase I head over to avsforums.com and research the crap out if it, plenty of opinions and "experts" there as well, but of course your eyes will make the final decision.
    Here's the link to the thread on one of your tv's you're thinking about.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...-samsung-4k-suhd-js8500-series-tv-thread.html

I've been happy with mine, however I do not have the latest ones from Samsung, but if I didn't have the Hellcat I probably would.:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. MikeD1

MikeD1 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I bought the last of their big screen plasma sets (PN65F8500 series) last fall when they were closing them out. Felt the pic was far superior to any of the LED stuff unless you were willing to pop crazy money.

I'm sure the tech has advanced since then. Best advice is to find a store where you can see them both at the same time, make sure the settings are the same for both (most stores use the mfg default "torch mode") and the source material is identical. If one has some BR DVD playing & the other has a cable drop or they are playing 2 different channels, you will not be comparing apples to apples.

There are many things to watch for (dithering, motion blur, black levels - the list is endless). At the end of the day, it's really a matter of what looks best to you & your eyes. Many ppl pay $500+ to get these TV's professionally calibrated only to not like the way it looks & fiddle with the settings on their own - it's all pretty subjective.

Here are 2 links that should help, 1st is a guide for distance vs. what resolution you can actually see. The 2 is Forum that has a lot of activity & will have dedicated threads to both models you are looking at. This site was invaluable to me for the last 2 sets I've purchased.

TV Size to Distance Calculator and Science

AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Lastly, keep in mind there is still very little UHD & SUHD material out there, it's coming but it will be a some time before it's mainstream.
    Have them show you the set with just 1080p & even 720p material as that is what you'll likely be watching for the near future (OTA, cable, DVD's etc.).

Good luck !!

• Useful Useful x 2
  4. fastguy

fastguy BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    80 inch Sharp Aquos 240 20 x 16 room HK Surround Infinity in front and rear KEF center, 10" inwall sub Crown 300watt amp, 12 little David powered un up front, really rocks

5. terryturner

terryturner Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I know you're on a budget but I hear a 65" Panasonic 4k flat screen calling your name. Not sure price but definitely what I'm getting next. I currently have a 65" plasma but the picture on a 4k with a killer refresh rate is like you're really there. Also I don't personally like the curved screens

6. BgAL

BgAL Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Samsung LED J6300 Series Smart TV - 75" - I picked one up last Black Friday for $1800 - nice TV, 240, with a quad core processor. Think they can be had for around 2000 when not on sale now.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. terryturner

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    TC-65CX850U - PanasonicB2C

If i was in your shoes I'd be all over this. Currently on sale for $3,199 + extra 200 off with promo + free shipping. Soooo sweet!

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. NX91Notch

NX91Notch Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Any fans of the LG with the new OLED technology? I read that the LG has one of the best pictures put there.

9. MikeD1

MikeD1 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    When I was shopping, many were looking to that tech as the true replacement for plasma (all the benefits, none of the drawbacks). Unfortunately, it never really seemed to take off as most manufactures decided the screens were (like plasma's) just too expensive to manufacture compared to an LED. Some who missed the last of the plasma's were buying Vizio M & P series sets as they were some of the few offering FALD (vs. edge lit) in a large screen under $2.5K. They are actually not bad sets for the $$ & the mindset was they'd be an OK set to keep for the 3 or 4 years it took for OLED to get traction. Seems like LG is still the only corp. pursuing it tho. The large sets have a fabulous picture, but are wicked expensive. If I were to buy one, I'd get a solid ext. warranty to go with it as it will likely be difficult to get parts for if they decide to stop making them & just go LED like all the others. At least a warranty will get you back your original $$ & you can go get something else.

Oh, 1 more thing - watch where you buy your Sammy if you go that route !! They basically price fix (i.e. "fair trade") all their top of the line sets. There are grey market dealers who will sell @ a discount, but Sammy WILL NOT honor the warranty on sets not from an authorized retailer !!

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. terryturner

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've had one vizio. Will never buy from them again. Just a terrible picture. It's a 32" lcd that I tucked away in the spare bedroom

11. soundman5000

soundman5000 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am a Panasonic guy. Before flat screens Sony was king in the control rooms of most TV studios. Now Panasonic is what you see in most pro TV studios so I always use what the pros use.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. redhemi

redhemi Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have a vizio 32in 10-13 years old,awesome picture flat screen and Verizon fiber optics.I think i payed 600. back then,last year added a vizio sound bar another good deal(under 200.)If it craps out next week it will still be a great deal !!

13. Teo

Teo Judge Yooper

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Samsung 65" Plasma! Love it!! Especially in a totally blacked out room!:D

With 5:1 surround sound stereo:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. natesrt

natesrt Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    For a 65" I'd say to go with a UHD (4K). Once there is more 4K content out there, I would think that on a screen that large that you will notice the difference.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. MikeD1

MikeD1 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's an awesome set, incredible black levels & definition, no artifacts or motion blur. Had to upgrade my UPS when I bought it tho, this bad boy draws 650 watts :eek: