why all the talk about horse power and not the torqe

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by catsiiii, Nov 27, 2014.

1. catsiiii

catsiiii Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    torque is where all the power comes from not the horse power.horse power will make you fast but torque will make you quick.torque is what you feel when you hit the gas and throws you head back into the seat not the horse power. some small cars have 800 horse power but the small cars don't have the torque.ill take torque over horses any day.im guessing most people buying this car will never see 200 miles an hour.but most will be quick spurts less than 1000 feet.thats torque working.i would like to see 200 miles an hour videos because I doubt there will be any or very few that can find some place to go that fast.so horse power isn't why you buy a hellcat.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Slim Shady

Slim Shady Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Probably because the HP is a much higher number. I think the Hellcat is going to be one great car but the Z06 has the same torque and weighs a 1,000 lbs less. Should be great times ahead of us. Be well.

Slim

3. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So how does one get more torque

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Coldheartid

Coldheartid Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    T = HP * 5252 / RPM
    HP = T * RPM / 5252
    RPM = HP * 5252 / T
    :)

If I remember the best way to increase torque is with Volume (Cubic inches) adding a super charger, increasing manifold pressure.

and i think the

Best way to increase HP is with RPM

Horsepower Torque Calculator - Metaris

5. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah,I don't understand that...if I change the gear,, will I get more torque

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. catsiiii

catsiiii Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    if you look at the numbers the hellcat torque is around the 4500 mark as in rpm.remember little engines are high revers 8000rpm.big blocks are below 6000 rpm.nothing beats cubic inches when it comes to torque.so if you cant do 200mph what good is all the horse power.look at the diesels.huge torque values but no horses.the grunt comes from torque values.the hellcat is 650ft pounds which what matters for short burst.i will probably never get to 200mph in my hellcat but I will cross the street quickly which is done with the torque not the horse power.when someone with a hellcat does 200mph let me know.standing mile in the hellcat is 173mph at just as seen on video on you tube.so you would have to find a road long enough with no curves to ever hit the 200mph mark.i think most will never do that so thank the torque for all the fun you will have because horse power will never be reached but torque will.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. X-Men Fiend

X-Men Fiend Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The Z06 is a sports car, which should always weigh much less than a versatile fully-loaded family-size car like a Challenger or Charger! In a perfect world, a man would have a Challenger Hellcat, for commuting to work and taking his family shopping or to the movies, and a Z06 for at the road-racing events! Note GM, like Ford, etal, does not normally give conservative ratings on stuff like HP and torque; On the contrary, rear wheel numbers suggest that stated ratings are often just a bit optimistic! In stark contrast, folks have been hitting torque readings above 600lb/ft at the rear wheels, in some cases approaching 650rwtq in the stock Hellcats, so Dodge bucks the trend, and actually gives conservative ratings. It's the actual ratings, that move the mass, so those that tout the factory numbers are not dealing in the real world, where Hellcat reigns supreme, and with MUCH more torque, at lower rpms', than even the close competitors can dream of, which aids spontaneous drivin' antics if you know what I mean! --I love both cars, a guy can dream!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. catsiiii

catsiiii Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    that's what I was trying to say.well said.its the torque that will make this car special not the horse power.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. X-Men Fiend

X-Men Fiend Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yep, you nailed it, in your first post, starting the thread. Heck, many rice-burnin' tuner cars make crazy HP numbers. But, they have to stage, just right, to get the boost up, and keep into the revs at each shift, or they fail miserably. A guy with ungodly low-end torque numbers (ie: see the Hellcat torque curve which is over 500lbs at barely above idle!) can just leisurely tap the gas, and launch away at a moment's notice, no muss, no fuss. And when cruising, If he forgets to downshift, when the tuner pulls up wailing obnoxiously, oh well, no prob, whether you happen to be in third, fourth, or fifth, you've got inhumane passing power from sub-hundred-mph speeds at your beck and call, even at a paltry 3Krpms you got almost 600rwtq so you still launch away from the guy that's busy downshifting to get up his boost, by the time he hits max power his engine's almost redlinin', while you are selecting your next tune on the 900watt stereo, with a comfortable lead...

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. catsiiii

catsiiii Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    all true.its the same story with fast or quick.anybody can go fast but quick is better.argue with people all the time on this matter of hp or torque and fast or quick.give me torque and quick any day anytime.hell I remember going fast in my mothers gremlin but that car was in no way quick.

11. Tammie

Tammie SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So, it sounds like we all agree our HELLBEASTS are gonna kick serious a$$ with wicked torque! Lol. Great info everyone. Thanks:)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. X-Men Fiend

X-Men Fiend Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Honestly, I have never seen a torque curve as flat as the Hellcats. And like catsiiii says, it's that huge, high, broad torque curve, that's gonna make all the Hellcat owners smile each time they tap the throttle. Only the rare excursion to the Nevada salt flats will permit experiencing the true top speed of any of today's supercars. People quibble about whether the GT500 or Hellcat is faster, but it couldn't be less pertinent, for 99% of the owners. Chances are, they both will get to just slightly above 200, if given enough flat straight miles to attain that velocity. Slight variations in temp, altitude, tires are as likely to determine the 'winner' as any actual built-in advantage. (Note, the ZL1 and other competitors are considerably slower, but GT500 is one of the very few that some allege 'wins' the top speed contest these days.) But when you are on the street, jabbin' that gas, one car will have that low-end-torque advantage that the smilin' Dodge driver feels in the seat of his or her pants!!!!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. c_u_in_hell

c_u_in_hell Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Respect the torque!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. CasualObserver

CasualObserver Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I don't even know where to begin. Nearly everything you have said is patently false and flies in the face of physics.
    1. Torque is most definitely not "where all the power comes from". In fact torque is a static measurement of force. In fact you can have infinite torque and not have any power.
    2. Horsepower is exactly what you are feeling when your head is snapped into the seat. You see horsepower is the rate at which work is being done. Therefore work must be done at a fairly high rate in order to accelerate a 4400LB car at a rate such that your head at rest crashes into the head rest.
    3. I think the distinction you are trying to draw is between the large displacement supercharged engine in the hellcat and smaller displacement non supercharged engines in other cars. As others have pointed out HP=(TQxRPM)\5250. The Hellcat mill does tend to generate more torque (especially down low) than other engines owing to it's large displacement and positive displacement blower. However what you fail to see is that making more TQ at lower RPMS also means it is making more HP at said RPMS giving you the "neck snapping sensation when standing on the right pedal" Simply put there is no movement without horsepower.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

But horsepower is what wins races and makes the Hellcat as fast as it is.
    We also don't need any more torque in these cars.
    Torque is useless without traction, and as it stands we have a lot more torque than we do traction (even with upgraded tires).

Think of torque like a diesel engine, may have the "push you back in the seat" feel that everyone loves, but without the horsepower in the to upper ranges of the rev band, it won't be nearly as fast. And that rush of speed up top from the horsepower is an awfully great feeling too. I've owned diesels, and that instant low end torque surge is great, no doubt, but once they hit 3000 rpms, the tach starts to move much slower and that's always a bit of a let down, as higher horsepower cars with less torque, then walk on by you.

Personally, I'd rather give up 50 lbs-ft of torque in the Hellcat to get 50 more horsepower between 5000-6000 rpm.
    The car wouldn't be any slower to 60 mph, but it would be measurably faster in the 1/4 mile with quicker Times and faster Trap speeds. Again, the last thing these cars really need is more torque down low, unless you plan to use the car primarily as a drag car with full slicks and so forth. But I have a feeling most people will spend 99+% of there time driving these cars on the street, where more torque is useless.

• Winner Winner x 1