Why Buy a Dodge Again?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by macden, Oct 10, 2015.

1. macden

macden SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am looking for a new commuter car and really have no idea what I want. I was looking at Jeeps and realized that I don't want to have to go to a FCA dealer again. With the exception of Mathews Dodge (500 miles away) I have had nothing but negative experiences with FCA dealers. One took three tries to fix the XM on my new car and wanted to charge me for a rental. I almost sued another one. The last one I went to, that was highly recommended, did not drain the oil from the second drain. When I asked the SM he said "not much oil drains from there so why bother".

My hellcat is my 13th new FCA vehicle. I like the trucks, love the Jeeps, love my Challenger, but what is the point if you cannot get decent service.

2. Lighty

Lighty Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Because you don't want to drive a Ford!:)

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. Fast cat

Fast cat BANNED Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    go buy a Toyota!

4. soundman5000

soundman5000 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My other car is a Ford and has been the last 25 years or so. I have also owned everything from Honda to VW, Mazda, Volvo, Mercedes, Olds, Chevy, Buick, Toyota, Jeep, Im on my 2nd Dodge with my Hellcat the last 3 years and can honestly say FCA has been the worst of the worst out of all the above when it comes to service or lack of service.
    Ford has been one of the easiest to have serviced and IMO the cheapest to service and the Ford OEM parts are less expensive than most.
    However, if you want top tier service I have found that in the euro brands but you pay for that service.
    My local Dodge dealers service departments appear to be overly busy. Its always a hassle when I need something.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dances With Empties

Dances With Empties Gold Member

Where rednecks are nervous of hillbillies
    Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I find it really varies from dealers more than manufactures... I've had crap service from the local Toyota dealer & better with an out of town dealer. As for FCA, I won't go near the 2 closest dealers around me, but would praise the other three that I have used. As for Mazda, they suck all the way around & Honda seems to be hit or miss. Never had a new Ford or Chevy so I can't speak to them... We have all heard the horror stories though.

Don't even get me started on Harley dealers....

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 1949chopper

1949chopper NC STATE PRESIDENT Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Wow. I must be lucky. My dodge dealer and Harley dealer are both top notch. Too bad your dealers are making the manufacturer look bad. Fortunatly I don't have to worry about commuting for work. Otherwise the 2 challengers and the ram dually would have to go. I would stuck with american companies. I'd hate to see more disappear. Imagine a new 79 firebird with 700 HP.

7. Catless

Catless Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You have answered your own question, Ford is the brand for you.

8. Confuzed2

Confuzed2 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    He has a valid point. Before you bash and say he should buy a F*rd....a lot of others may well do JUST THAT. Service after the sale is worth a lot to a lot of people....me included. Who wants to deal with a bunch of incompetent service people?? Luckily, my dealer (Dodge/Kia) seems to be OK for now, but I've dealt with other dealers that I wouldn't let service my lawnmower after I found out what they're about.

9. soundman5000

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Service after the sale is what is spooking me as my local Dodge dealer did not have time to do the radio update so I did it. My wife and I went round with her new Jeep trying to get the 1st oil change as ALL service department calls went to voice mail 3 weeks straight, My wife called every day and never a return phone call. We had to get the GM involved just to get an oil change!

The issue I now have from a damaged wheel using a 3rd party tire shop as all local dealers refused service on my Hellcat tire truly has me scratching my head and wondering how this service is gonna go with my cat. SRT told me " off the record" some local dealers do not want to take the risk of servicing Hellcats and are turning people away.
    I never had Ford or any other brand dealer turn me away.

• Like Like x 1
  10. THEONE

THEONE Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If they won't service the vehicle they should not be allowed to sell them. FCA dealers have the worst customer service in the industry they treat you like they are doing you a favor, for the life of me I can't figure out how most of them are still in business.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. soundman5000

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would assume a Dodge dealer in another area may have a great service department but in my case I can't find a good Dodge Service department close and I don't want to take a day off to travel for an oil change so I don't see any ( normal, non Hellcat, Viper etc) FCA cars in my future. I will put up with a bit of a hassle with a crap dealer to own a Hellcat but I do have limits but if it's not a SRT It must have a great service department or I won't buy!

I am not what I call brand loyal but I am dealership loyal as a great service department can make my stressful life just a bit less stressful so when it comes to something like a commuter or family car, I buy service, quality, future resale value and then style in that order. I buy the family car with my head and my Hellcat with my heart I guess!

12. HCone

HCone Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This will probably be my last Dodge

13. greenwithenvy

greenwithenvy Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    All companies have good and bad cars. Some dealers are better than others and some brands strive for better service than others. I have owned everything but GM branded products and the best overall service experience has been foreign car manufactures. Toyota, Lexus and Nissan have been great. Ford has been ok but it really helped knowing the service writer and mechanic. My current dodge dealer, I must say has also been very good. For my hellcat I have been using Allen Samuels in Forth Worth and go to Ashley, the tech writer and she really goes out of her way to make sure my service experience is positive. She baby hens my car and always keeps me posted on what's going on and where it is in the process. She also keeps all all the other people away from it and only allows 2 people to touch my car.

Unfortunately, when buying a car, you are taking a crapshoot on one of the more important parts of your auto buying experience. For me, I have had success prior to buying a car to make the salesman introduce me to the service manager and a tech writer and ask some basic questions. I get a dialog between the three of us so if, and or when I buy the car they know and remember my face. I am not just "another pretty face." I also have pre-expectations on service time, service expectations and rental car policies. Not a perfect plan by any means but I can walk into any service bay for a brand of car I currently own (I currently own 3 different brands) and I am greeted by name and they actually start conversations with me on subjects not necessarily about my current car issues.

A long winded response perhaps but as many issues as I (and we all) have had with the hellcats and FCA's lack of response or energy to actually address or fix our problems, the dealer can be a big help or hindrance. For me, I will give Allen Samuels a chance for my next new car purchase. Now, the dealer I bought the hellcat from? That would be Bob Howard CJD? Not a f$&king chance in hell......

• Like Like x 1
  14. FedsHCAT

FedsHCAT Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I read all the service complaints and have to say I do have had my fair share of issues with Puerto Rico Dealers in the Metro San Juan area.

So far my first Dodge was a used 2005 Quad Cabin RAM SRT-10 with 5k miles purchased back in 2007. Great truck but sold it three years later with 30k miles due to lack of parts always for it at local dealers. They never could provide me a loner despite truck being in Warranty and had to wait month for parts to arrive.

I then purchase a 2010 Rubicon Jeep, great fun car for weekends but not a daily driver which my wife got sick after year one. Took the car to service dealer for tire rotation and when I left the dealer, one of the tires was left loose and tire almost fell on the highway in front of the dealer. The loose nuts damaged the wheel, bolts, etc. They said sorry and order me a new wheel and other parts damaged! This could have caused a fatal accident at higher speed and lawsuits to the dealer. They gave me a free oil change! Wow!

I finally traded the Rubicon for a 2012 SRT Charger, never had any mechanical issues, again dealer issues with lack of knowledge to reprogram automatic high low beams computer which they spent almost a year trying to figure it out due to turnover in personnel at the dealer.

I then traded the RAM for a Jeep 2011 Overland. Three years later, the front air suspencion broke and when the engine was not running the suspencion could not hold the air so it fell forward completely. No warranty now, over $3k to change both shocks and extra so decided to traded in for a new 2014 Jeep SRT.

The 2014 Jeep had lots of noises with front suspencion, wife got fed up and traded for a 2013 ZL1 Camaro!

When I starded to mod the 2012 Charger with exhausts, throttle body, CAI, the Hellcat was almost to be launched so my plans to add a Supercharger to my 2012 Charger all of a sudden vanished.

Finally got a good price and traded the 2012 for 2015 Hellcat. This is my 6th Dodge Jeep car so I just hope car reliability and local dealer service does not become a burden. This time decided to get the extra 2 year warranty.

Sorry for long write up.

15. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    you get bad service no matter what brand you buy....myself i would never buy chrysler for a daily driver/family car.....i bought 2 challengers......but i view dodge as a 2nd rate maybe 3rd rate car company....they rank near the bottom (typically under Kia) on any automaker review

i have the best luck with Chevys and GMC's.....thats what i buy for my family.... i used to be huge on Toyota until our last one (sienna) was a huge POS....owned it for 60,000 miles...was on the 3rd radio, rims peeled at 20,000....leather seats split at 20,000....tons of other issues....interior was just ultra cheap materials....the chevy interiors wear like iron with kids..

ive had bad luck at 2 dodge dealers, 1 ford dealer, 1 toyota dealer, 1 chevy dealer.........its more about the dealer than the brand.....