Why Drag Radials?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by MoparPhil, Jun 20, 2015.

1. MoparPhil

MoparPhil Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I wonder why so many feel the need to qualify that a car had drag radials when making a good run at the strip. And, the haters often say, "...but it was on DRs." Why is this an issue? It's a street legal tire. If anything, why not just say it ran a 10.8 or whatever on a street legal tire? I drive around town in my Barracuda all the time on DRs. I once drove from Utah to California round trip on Drs in another Barracuda I had. I hardly ever leave the factory tires on for very long. Who ever left the Polyglas tires on their vintage muscle cars? We always upgraded the tires back then. I just don't ever feel the need to qualify that I'm not running the original factory tires.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well hellcats are formidable beasts, there will always be hatorading folks who need to nit pick very minor details every chance they get. Don't let them bother ya

3. MoparPhil

MoparPhil Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Oh, I've been around the block enough times that it doesn't bother me. I just don't see the need for even mentioning it. Instead of saying it ran a 10.80 on DRs, why not say it ran a 10.80 on street legal tires or, even better, it ran a 10.80.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dubya

Dubya Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The only people talking about it are slower than you. Hence...their opinion doesn't matter, keep doing what your doing. Know that losing to you is far more annoying to them than their whining about drag radials is to us. I take great satisfaction in that.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. 4510

4510 SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think the distinction is very valid in discussions here on the board. In fact any modification beyond what the car came with is a useful distinction. Not as a negative but a data point for folks so they can understand the potential of the car. It is simply natural to want to know where one's car or abilities fit in the mix. When there is a delta between the performance of one car and that of another, folks want to know why. So rather than feeling you don't need to qualify..... tell folks what you feel has helped make the car better. Unless of course you are racing for money and you want to keep your cards close to your vest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. MoparPhil

MoparPhil Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You make a valid point as to helping each other go faster but I see a lot of forum members also "adding the asterisk," on drag radials. A street legal tire is a street legal tire and something you can run across whenever and wherever.

7. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I think people look at them as steroids. I for one still say Hank Aaron hit the most HR's @714 as Bonds cheated. DR's aren't cheating they make the car safer thumping on it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. cmacclel

cmacclel Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    With 700+ HP the Hellcat should have come from the factory with DR's :)

9. dragrcr

dragrcr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have no interest in running my car on street tires. In fact I don't even own my OEM stuff any more. Put the Drag Radials on it the day I got home from the dealer and never looked back. I run a 245/45R20 front tire and I have 2 sets of back tires on identical rims (they all match). Nitto NT555R 305/45R18's for long distance/bad weather/Autocrossing (LOL) and MT ET Street "R" 305/45R18's for local driving/racing.

I know I could probably lay down a record pass on street tires because I have a LOT of experience and know how to drive and set the car up. But I could care less if I have a street tire record or not. Also, I suspect you will be taking some chances getting there. No thanks. I would rather dead hook and go straight.

. DSCN1893.JPG