Why the hell not?!?!

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Nitewing, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Nitewing

Nitewing Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    So long story short, my rear gear diff is crapping out on me and the dealer is ordering another to replace it, all covered of course. Thing is, I want the 3.09 rear diff!! I asked the dealer to just swap me out for the 3.09, they are less expensive anyway than OEM diff and they said they can't do that. Won't be covered by warranty and the swap may void the warranty anyway, so they won't put it on. Just sucks bc I could have had the change done for free!!

2. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I can understand them not trading the diffs because the factory sent them the diff free and would look like fraud for them to sell to someone else. Could you buy the 3.09 and let them put it in? You could take the OEM diff and sell it.

3. paul suloff

paul suloff Silver Member

Have them give you the stock gear center. Buy a 3.09 for $1400 and use warranty labor to install. All the right parts are on record and same labor cost. Good dealer should work with you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Anything other than OEM parts would be considered a modification and therefore not covered under warranty. Doesn't matter if the dealer installed it and it's a Mopar part. The car was warrantied as is.

5. paul suloff

paul suloff Silver Member

3.09 gear is OEM? Just not the one that came in car. All about the relationship with the dealer and if he wants to sell you another car.

6. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Correct. 3.09 is an OEM part, but NOT for that car. In other words, if the car didn't come with it, it's a modification where the warranty is concerned. Defective parts must be replaced with the same part #. I agree, if you have a conversation with your service manager, he may be very generous and let it go. Dealers vary on modifications.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  7. PlumCrazyHellCat

PlumCrazyHellCat Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Most dealers just want to cover their butts and not take a chance on anything that could be considered as warranty fraud. Using warranty labor to install a non-warranty replacement part that didn't come on the car could be a grey area that they don't want to take a chance on...

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 3
  8. Racist Cat

Racist Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So you lose the rear end warrenty? Life's to short to let FCA hold your hand.

• Agree Agree x 1