SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Why the sunroofs?

6K views 54 replies 29 participants last post by  Hammer Down 
#1 ·
Every SRT I've seen in local dealer stock has had a sunroof. I special ordered mine specifically to get it without that God forsaken option, and the dealer acted like I was odd for not wanting it. Then I see numerous posts here mention the same sentiment. Why do the dealers order their Scat's and SRT's with sunroofs, when it seems so many will refuse any car with one?

#8 ·
Def about profit, it is almost a couple thousand add on (have to double check). I am with you because I see a lot of cars that have drains plug and leak water. It is more of a pia for me than anything else. Roof builds take longer regardless also. Not for me
Look at it like this. Add roof and A8 along with more gas guz tax your 7k more than m6 no roof

#9 ·
I've never wanted one due to the worry of leaks but I sat in a new SRT Challenger before I ordered my replacement car and I liked it so I feel for the gag and ordered one in place of the black hood. I hope that I don't regret it later down the road. I like being able to "vent" it on hot days instead of "cracking" my windows.

#13 ·
I wouldn't get one with a sun roof either. However, since the rear windows don't go down... a Targa top might be cool.... maybe....

Nahhh. :p

#14 ·
I had a glass roof on my 2012 GT500 and loved it.

Wide open feeling and no worries of any leaks.:D

#18 ·
I got one specifically for the sunroof. I love the open feeling of the sunroof, especially with the all black interior and tinted windows. Without the sunroof I feel claustrophobic. I have never had a sunroof leak on me, the new ones they make are extremely well made. I can't believe the HC's sunroof is any different.

#22 ·
Only car I had without a sunroof was the 15. Bought a 16 just to get it back. Love the option, especially in the spring and fall cruises.

#33 ·
This is a funny topic. Peeps get so passionate on a window. Whether it is because it adds too much weight or people are too tall (im 6'3", I have no head room issues) or they feel they leak. I have had a sunroof in my last four vehicles. Two Challengers. I have never had a drop of water on my head from them. Granted the Challengers really wont see any rain anyway. I enjoy them open on nice days. If the sun is blaring the top of my head in the summer I close it. I have the option. Im not concerned with being the god all fastest at the track so the weight is a not even a thought. I had one issue with mine on my 10 SRT8 where I couldn't close it for about an hour. That issue happened the one time and never anymore issues for the next four years.
Oh people claim they're less safe also. That's my favorite. Show me statistics or they are just opinions.
All that said, if I had walked into the dealership and saw my car sitting there and it had no sunroof, it would not have been a deal breaker.
So im a fan. I like more atmosphere coming in without being a convertible. Not a fan of those. Merely because I think they look bad with the tops up.

#34 ·
Well it seems Ma Mopar does it for less than Hennessy! 50% more horsepower costs $55K. Really? Mopar does it for $23K, seems like a better deal. And there is a lot more to the Cat than supercharger and hood grilles. Only had mine for 2 weeks and can't believe the difference in the road feel and handling compared to my '09 SRT8. .......it's almost through breakin. And no sunroof with this one. Had my '09 in for warranty repairs twice and barely used it. Open the windows and hear that supercharger whine!

#35 ·
My reasons for a sunroof is that my 440-6bbl GTX was too hot for her to ride in. Would not drive it for it did not have PS or PB.
My Dart Convertible did not have (either car) air conditioning. and was hot when the sun was on it. and again no PB.
Sold my GTX to a family in Delaware. the Dart might go this spring / summer. Still deciding.
So my Hellcat Charger has one. And all the other goodies i wanted. Great to have the roof open on my way back from Toledo with it. Never thought a smile would last 500 miles. but it is still going

Matt

#36 ·
Love the sunroof! I'm 6'1" and don't hit the roof. If you set the seat up high enough you will but I never do. I also have one in my 05 Magnum and never hit my head and it has also never leaked. Have one in the 2012 Durango R/T and never hit my head. Love them and they are great for getting in some fresh air without opening the windows. To each their own but I love mine and love my Cat!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.