SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Wide tire "wobble" or "roll"? What's really going on?

5K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  G3SRT 
#1 ·
Like many I've stepped up to a 10.5 wheel with a 315. Now when I get on it I feel, like a lot have said, that the tire wobbles or rolls. What's really giving this feeling? Because it can't be the tire rolling or it would pop off the wheel. Is it caused by the grooves in the road? Is this normal and more importantly is it safe?

Thanks!

#4 ·
So I should have gone with a 11" wheel? My tire shop said it was fine to throw them on a 10.5. So then what is exactly happening? Will this cause a problem down the road?

#3 ·
In my case my car is lowered as well and I found the rear toe was out. Once that was adjusted it was much better, but I still have to be careful on some roads when I'm using my 295/35 Pirellis on the 10 or 11in wheels. The Nitto 555R drag radials have no issue with anything when mounted on 11 in wheels.
My 2nd thing to do will be to lessen the rear negative camber. It's about -1.6 deg. after I lowered it. Negative camber can contribute to rear steer too, especially if there is any camber to the road, or it has grooves, etc.

#5 ·
So have the alignment checked out? Or have them make adjustments in the rear camber?

#10 ·
They are a little low. Maybe I should put them back up. Running them around 30-32 cold.

#14 ·
Hemibuck it could be following grooves. If it happens all the time I agree with TD's advice, verify the alignment. Have you driven other vehicles with wide tires or a motorcycle? I had a motorcycle with a 10" rear wheel/tire and it was a trip sometimes to steer around.

#15 ·
Its not normal and it can be very dangerous for you if it breaks traction. Many threads on this along with years of wobble on other cars starting back in 2011 with the 9.5" wheels on the gt500. Drag radials will fix the problem no matter what size you put on. A regular street tire is hit and miss. Sorry its very frustrating.

#18 · (Edited)
Hemibuck so you only feel it out back? Tried smooth and bumpy roads? Only under WOT? Is it swaying? Lower the pressure the better for hooking up so hopefully that isn't the issue

Go by tire manufacturer specs. A 305 on a 9.5" wheel is out of spec. 295 max and even that is pushing it.

Of course its been done by hundreds of people here without issue

#21 ·
Not sure what's going on here. I have a set of Nitto NT 05 315/35/20's on a set of 10.5" wheels with 25 offset and have never experienced this. I also have a set of MT 305 drag radials on the same exact 10.5" wheels and they don't have this issue either. I go back and forth between the Nittos and the MT's depending upon the season.

Phil

#23 ·
I put more air in and the problem is gone. I still get the pull from the grooves in the shitty roads we have but the wobble under throttle is gone now. Thanks for the input everyone!

#25 ·
I went to 40.

#29 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.