Will a Hellcat meet my needs?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by VintageVmax, Feb 8, 2015.

1. VintageVmax

VintageVmax Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hello guys and thanks for having me. I will be in the market for a Challenger in the near future. Not being able to drive one and not knowing anyone who has one I have a few questions. I am a Real Estate investor in Saint Louis MO. My wife and I will be moving out of town for her to go to Grad School.

Question: Most dealers that I have talked to have 3-4 orders and aren't sure when they will be filled. If I'm a few months out from pulling the trigger should I jump in line? How long are orders taking roughly?

Question2: I will most likely end up being 300-400 miles from Saint Louis. I will travel back once a month for closings, checking on contractors, and meeting with clients. What kind of range does the Challenger have? My current car gets about 300 miles a tank. What are you guys realistically seeing?

Final question: My road trips average speeds of 85+ miles an hour for hundreds of miles. I had an older m3 and I liked how it felt like I was going 60 when going 90. In the new Challenger will it be similar or will it require constant correction for ever piece of gravel in the road? My current car is a 2013 Scion FRS. It handles great but is under powered. However it require "work" to cruise at 85 if that makes sense.

2. JeKo

JeKo Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Gonna be honest here ..

You drove an m5 and now you drive a scion, and your asking about gas mileage and fuel efficiency.

Sounds to me like you aren't understanding what the hellcat is all about. You don't buy a hellcat because it's the rational thing to do... you buy it for the love of cars and driving. If you want this to be your daily driver than you need to get over the idea of being efficient.

Sounds like this may not be the car for you. Either buy another car alongside the hellcat, a beater Toyota for a few grand to commute with, or get something other than the hellcat. Or, accept that you need to budget for gas money. Gas isn't gonna stay this cheap forever, so up stock now!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    the first 600 miles I averaged 17mpg ... the last tank was 20mpg, I don't let it get below 1/4.. this babyb wont run far on empty or on fumes lol . u cant go wrong, its huge and drives real nice... as others have said, makes an all day drive seem like a few hours... and yea 90mph feels like 55 as your puttering down the road.. you are king of the road.. and the car knows it!

• Like Like x 1
  4. X-Men Fiend

X-Men Fiend Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Based on your initial post, perhaps the six cylinder SXT Challenger might be a better fit?

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. bolivarshagnasty

bolivarshagnasty Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The gas supply line for the engine is 1/2 inch in diameter if that gives you any indication of your expected fuel mileage. As for the availability, the longer you wait, the greater chance you will have to find one unspoken for at a Dealership. That is assuming you are not firm on a certain color/options. Hang around here and read up on the car before investing 65k in it. Lot of positives about the car including roominess in the cockpit, and huge trunk. All reviews have indicated that it is a great car out on the open highway. Lots of YouTube videos on this car. Good luck to you.

• Like Like x 1
  6. VintageVmax

VintageVmax Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Jeko I think you misunderstood me. I don't care at all about the MPG. I can Google epa rating so no need to ask. I was more concerned with real world usage on road trips. If I wanted a hybrid I wouldn't be here.

Thanks for your answers man. I figured with the kind of power and weight it should be a great road trip car. There is a reason everyone calls these grand touring cars.

• Like Like x 2
  7. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    you may be the only one thinking about mileage on your HC.....its one of the worst mpg cars on the market right now unless you drive it like a grandma

i would also not bring a $70k car to meet with customers....i hide my cars from my customers.....a nice Impala or 300 would be a better choice for showing customers your successful, but not 'too' successful (overcharging them)

unless you keep an eye on your speedo your going to speed in any car.....if you drive the car by feel and never look at the speedo your going to get speeding tickets with 707hp

i dont think a HC is for you......i think a SXT is

for long trips the Challenger is a great car....you will be comfortable......

if you get a HC you may be the youngest HC owner out there.....most of us are 50+....looks like your 17

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. X-Men Fiend

X-Men Fiend Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There are numerous Challenger models, and I gather they are all excellent GT cars, and would be adept at comfortable roadtrips. The Hellcat is a different breed, for the person that wants a lot of options/adjustability, to remain civil, when needed, but at the weekend track venture you can break out the red key and select the Track setting in the SRT performance pages app and proceed to dominate.

9. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I agree with Huggy except the SXT part, not to mention the noise it makes if you have clients with you. Try a nice Charger R/T in my opinion I love mine

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. rayzazoo

rayzazoo DRIVESRT.COM Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Orders are taking anywhere between 3-5 months to fulfill, some longer. In St. Louis, check out Overland Dodge if you're interested in placing an order as they might have a very short list.

Highway cruising, I think you could pull 300mi on 16-17 gals if you keep your foot out of it.

Challenger with the adaptive suspension rides very easily at speed with very little correction.

• Like Like x 2
  11. JeKo

JeKo Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That was just my read on it. Wish you the best of luck.

• Like Like x 1
  12. VintageVmax

VintageVmax Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I don't meet with home owners. The clients I meet with are wealthy investors normally driving 6 figure German cars. They aren't going to feel threatened by a Hellcat.

13. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Then you've already talked yourself into a Hellcat so get one

• Like Like x 2
  14. X-Men Fiend

X-Men Fiend Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If the sensation of being pushed back hard, into the seat, while launching ahead of all the other motorists, is more appealing than maximizing fuel economy, then the Hellcat just might be your cup of tea!

• Like Like x 1
  15. VintageVmax

VintageVmax Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That's what I'm looking for. I had a heavily modified yamaha vmax. Everything done you could imagine minus a turbo. Been itching to get close to that thrust since.