Will the new ZL1 effect Hellcat sales/prices?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by graycat, Jun 2, 2016.

1. graycat

graycat Automobile Aficionado Extraordinaire Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I know that these two cars are "apples and oranges" but I traded a 14 GT500 in on my first Hellcat, those cars are "apples and oranges" but I still did it and so did some others on this forum.

The ZL1 will be down on power compared to the Hellcat but it's a whole lot lighter from what I've read and may be quicker at the drag strip. I expect it to NOT be faster on the big end with all of the aerodynamic body work to keep in on the ground. But, does anyone reading this think that they may trade in a Hellcat or just buy one outright?

I'll be keeping the Hellcat but I may also buy a new ZL1. A 10 speed auto with 640 hp and hundreds of pounds less weight than the Hellcat, WOW. Pretty cool.

While I'm on the subject of "other cars" not sure if there will be a new GT500 or not but if it happens it'll likely be
    able to "out do" the Hellcats and the ZL1's.

If more choices are available in the market how do you guys think it'll effect the Hellcats?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. rayzazoo

rayzazoo DRIVESRT.COM Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think the Mopar faithful will keep their cats and the ZL1 won't make a large difference with sales of cats.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. YLWJKT

YLWJKT Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    A lot Hellcat buyers are not part of the "Mopar faithful".
    Many that I've spoken to are first time Dodge owners.

That said, I currently own more Mopars than any other brand, but the new ZL1 could find it's way into my stable to replace my aging 20110 supercharged Camaro SS.
    A lot will depend on price, and of course GM will have crazy mark ups the first year of production.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No matter what success a car company has with a new model another company will eventually make something better.....at least to an X number of people. I am sure the ZL1 will take some Mopar customers but not in droves.....I have no interest in owning a Camaro regardless of the power level....if it is quicker than a HC the HC is still super fast....and looks much better than the Chevy rival..

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You see we all love our hellcat because of what they are how they are and what they stand for. And in my mind there is no other car that could stand for all that and keep me as happy as I am

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. graycat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I LOVE the "Old School" muscle car appearance of the Challenger. I had an 09 SRT8, would have bought an 08 but I wanted a M6 not an automatic so when the 09's came out with a M6 I was in the market. Kind of funny now. My Hellcat is an A8 and I ordered it that way. I love the Hellcat and intend to keep it long term but
    I am already looking for a smaller and more track friendly type of car. Maybe even another M6. If the ZL1 wasn't going to have an A10 in it I'd be in line for an M6 but an Auto ten speed! Pretty cool.

The Hellcat is just a super cool car with plenty of power and lots of creature comforts. It's as easy to drive as anything that I'm interested in owning and I have had zero issues with the current car. I did see lots of corvettes and Shelby Mustangs for sale at Dodge dealers that had taken the cars in on trade for Hellcats. The prices of the used vette's and early GT500's did take a bit of a "hit" due to the intro of the Hellcats. I'd like to pick up a nice second hand Charger Hellcat in a year or two and hope that the prices get more reasonable as more options enter the market.

7. MuscleGarageLA

MuscleGarageLA SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I will wait for the new iteration of the GT500. The new ZL1 could be an awesome car but the aesthetics don't appeal to me at the slightest. I actually liked the 5th gen better. I had traded both the 2014 ZL1 (and 2014 GT500 for my challenger/charger) and I just feel the aesthetics on that was way better than the new version, only problem was it was slightly sluggish and 580hp never felt enough..lol. Good news is that if I don't like the GT500, the ZL1 would be available for msrp by then.

The new 10 SPD Auto trans, is a ford/gm collaboration so if I had to hazard a guess, I would say the new Shelby GT500 would also sport one as an option. That would be a game changer for sure. And Shelby/SVT always like to go for the home run, so it wouldn't surprise me that if they up the ante and go close to 850-900hp territory.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  8. MaxxMuscle

MaxxMuscle Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    IF the Cat can run with the new Z06 that comes in at 3524 lbs ,what makes u say that the new ZL1 will be faster ? The new ZL1 is said to be 300 lbs less than the old ZL1 which was 4120 Ibs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. All2Easy

All2Easy Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I do not think the new ZL1 will affect Hellcat pricing.

As a '15 Z/28 owner, I am holding out to see if a Gen 6 Z hits the market. If not, I will add the new ZL1 to the stable.....will not sell the Hellcat though.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  10. NoCoHC

NoCoHC Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think the huge number of Hellcats on the market is starting to impact pricing which is a good thing. It's starting to be fairly common to get deals below MSRP. I don't think what the other manufacturers are doing has much to do with it. The Hellcat hasn't had a huge impact on used GT500 prices. There will be some who will switch, but in my opinion they are targeting different markets. The Camaro offers impressive performance, but I haven't read too many positive reviews on the aesthetics. The Hellcat is tops in that area and will be tough to beat by either GM or Ford with their current platforms.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC UK President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I cannot see it. The Hellcat is just the most badass looking car out there with performance to match. I took a mate out for a spin on Monday. The looks you get just makes you smile. Okay pretty rare to see any Challenger over here. Young kids love it. Jumping up and down waving. When you wave back there faces just light up

• Like Like x 1
  12. rgigowski

rgigowski SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sat with a Ford engineer this week on vacation. We talked and I asked about the 10 speed hitting the upcoming fictitious Cobra. He grinned and said it was very possible.

For me, the ease of getting in and out is a big deal. Had Mustangs and tried the Camaro and the Corvette, never.

I would hope FCA would look at the chassis and update it. The use of aluminum would make a serious difference. After market will jump on this and we too could she'd poundage in some.much needed places.

Brute horsepower covers up a lot of sins... And I am okay with that!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  13. graycat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    rigigowski........I both LOVE & AGREE with the last sentence in your post!!

"Brute horsepower covers up a lot of sins...And I am okay with that!";)

• Like Like x 2
  14. graycat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I believe that BODUKE may be watching this thread.................. I'm hoping he'll chime in with some thoughts:) (If for no other reason than to get some of the funny back and forth going with some of the forum members);)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tazman

Tazman Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Since I can't afford a second cat, there's no way I'd have a ZL1, GT500, GT-R, Z06, nor any other "second choice" I can think of. :D

• Like Like x 1