Windshield tint issue... my car didn't explode

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Appearance' started by Nitemare, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Nitemare

Nitemare Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Well, long story short... went to get my windows tinted and mentioned the issues some of you fellas had with your windshields. At first, they didn't want to. The more I talked them into it, because I know just how beneficial windshield tint is (Llumar Air 80 specifically), they agreed. And nothing bad happened.

Yes, I drive a 392 and not a Hellcat, but unless the electronics layout is different, which I doubt, there should be no issues. The people who had issues must have had idiots running a garden hose in their dash. I was in the shop the entire time they tinted and watched closely. There is no way a large amount of water is getting into the dash unless the tinters are CARELESS. Stuff the bottom portion of the dash where it meets with windshield with paper towels. Jam them in there to be extra safe, and use a plastic scraper tool or something to maneuver them out at the end. Also, make sure the guys are squeeging the water to the sides and out the top as much as possible. They should only squeegee the bottom 3-4 inches of the film towards the dash to minimize water going that direction. When we pulled the paper towels out, most of them were bone dry.

Just saying guys... I wouldn't let a few bad experiences hold you back from a huge comfort mod. Just goto a decent shop and inform them of the situation if they want to do a hack job.

I got 15% Llumar CTX everywhere else, except for the sunroof - still debating that, plus the shop didn't want to risk damaging the seals with their heat guns. The rear window is an absolute pain for tinting since the dash back there with carpet rakes down practically touching the last 5-6 inches of the window. The defrost lines are also pretty thick and they tinted it twice trying to get it to stick, after using slight abrasion on the lines to attempt solving the issue. So far the tint is still puckering on some of the lines, so it will likely need done a third time and they're having their guy who does nothing but rear windows for 25 years work on it when he gets back from vacation. Didn't even charge me for the job yet since it's not right.

Also noticed my back passenger windows wobble on their tracks when grabbed when rolled down about halfway! Anyone else have this issue?

Pictures to follow.

2. competition

competition VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    What problems are people having?

3. Snappycat

Snappycat SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    One member had his windshield done. Water got down inside the dash. Couldn't shut the car off. Lasted several days, then all worked well again. Needed to dry out.

4. Nitemare

Nitemare Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    I've seen at least 3 different threads where people had issues like those mentioned above, to the car acting possessed by blasting the horn, running wipers, etc. One guy had to have his BCM replaced, which was luckily covered under warranty, and it's not cheap at all. Posted this because I saw some advisements against tinting the windshield because of those bad experiences, and while that's a reasonable fear, it's easily avoidable.

Sorry about taking forever for pics. Worked today and did my brakes yesterday and forgot... will try tomorrow as the sun needs to be out.

5. Aaron Vogel

Aaron Vogel Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I was one of them haha. I had it where the car at first wouldn't start, then once it did anytime it was turned off the horn would go off until you turned the car back on. Ended up being a short in the BCM. I had it all fixed, went back to the stop later and had the front re-done no issue. I went to the shop because they are very respected, do the tint for all the local dealers, SEMA etc. I also watched/hung out with them while they did it, they were very clean, professional and such. They did say the same thing, they have done tons of windshields on non-Hellcat cars. There just "may" be something different between the 392 and Hellcat cars. I have no idea. And i wouldn't advise against getting the windshield done ( i also did the ProAir 80). I would just let the shop know there has been issues previously and make sure they are cautious.

6. Nitemare

Nitemare Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    15%. Windshield is covered with a fitting dash shade and sunroof is closed, so it looks pretty dark. I had 5% on my last car and this is much better for visibility from inside, without sacrificing privacy or heat rejection. Hopefully it doesn't get me in trouble. In the right lighting and with proper camera capture, it's not this dark. You can see through the windows when there is light to be seen on the other side, but with a black interior, that's not very often.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2