winter driving and road salting

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by carcass, Oct 13, 2015.

1. carcass

carcass SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm looking at buying Hellcats from the great lakes states or upper east coast, if I order now and everything goes smoothly I could get a car smack dab in December.
    Who's going to drive their cars in the winter?
    what states do you live in and do they use salt?
    is road tripping from back east in December even close to a good idea?

2. USMCVET0311

USMCVET0311 VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My .02 is that I would never drive mine in the winter. Getting salt spray into every crevice will cause rust down the road - additionally here in MI the salt chunks can leave some nasty paint chips. I can rent an enclosed trailer for $350 locally - thats the route I'd take. But there is the "it's a car, drive it" crowd, so to each his own - just enjoy your Hellcat, it's well worth the $$ and the wait.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I drive Dante year round, then again, I live in South Georgia, so I do not deal with the snow, ice, and salt like you poor souls do ... but I remember it well! My husband is retired Navy, and we spent a good chunk of time in both the North Chicago/Waukegan, Illinois, and the Ballston Spa/Saratoga Springs, New York areas. Brrrrrr!

April

• Like Like x 1
  4. Aaron Vogel

Aaron Vogel Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    if I was in PA still, I would drive mine year round. If it snows, big deal, Take it to the car was a couple days later and wash it, not really a big deal. Not like its going to rust and fall apart on you. I'd just get some good winter tires

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bane

Bane Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm in the Baltimore, MD area and will drive it (when I finally get it) year round just like I do my '12 Yellow Jacket. While it IS just a car, it's an awesome one that I plan to enjoy each and every day. If there's too much snow on the ground, I'll just drive the Ram since the county won't pay me for plowing the road for them. If salt can get somewhere, so can the water used to wash it out. You just have to be diligent and you'll have no problems.

I'm a member on another Challenger forum and I personally find it funny when I read posts that they will never take their SRT8 out in the rain or will only drive it on nice weekend days. One guy doesn't even know if his wipers work because he's never used them. My thoughts are if I wanted something nice to look at, I would've bought a piece of art. I say drive the car and enjoy it. Life is too short.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dubya

Dubya Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No, no, no, Nothing follows....

• Like Like x 2
  7. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You should not even think of driving it without snow or great all season tires. The car as enough torque to kill off even the best driver, or itself on a bad road.

Edit, this is a guy in MN who did drive a 300 SRT8 for a few years in the metro area of MSP. Bought 18" aftermarket wheels and put Pirelli Scorpion tires on it. Then it was great FYI!

8. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ralph gilles stated a while back he drove it during the winter and the traction control did a great job. It's possible, Mine won't see much of the winter.

9. soundman5000

soundman5000 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    But IMO you did buy a piece of art... I know I stand around looking at my cat lots more than anything I would hang on a wall...

10. gts_2001

gts_2001 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    buddyG drove his M6 from about early December through the winter here in western Michigan where the snow is formidable. I don't know whether or not he used snow tires. You might PM him or maybe he'll chime in here and give you the straight story. Mine stays in the garage and I have a Jeep for winter.

11. Bane

Bane Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    True, it is a piece of automotive art, but I'd rather be driving it than looking at it.

12. carcass

carcass SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My deal fell through with the dodge dealer I was working with in Missouri anyways.:( So I don't have to think about driving it back in the winter time to Seattle now.

13. Confuzed2

Confuzed2 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I see we have something in common! I'm retired Navy myself, and did two tours at GLKS Naval Station. I still live near there. No way I'd drive my Hellcat in the salt. It'll stay hibernating in the garage as soon as the snow flies!

Edit: Oddly enough, my brother is also retired Navy and lives in Georgia...and owns a Challenger.....lol

• Like Like x 1
  14. Puffy

Puffy Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    That sucks. You'll get one soon enough.

I live in the Baltimore, MD area too. I was planning to drive year round but after being hit not once but twice in normal weather, damn driving in anything but perfect conditions here. I'm buying another car this weekend. Never thought I'd turn her into a garage queen but the shitty drivers here made me do it.

15. rwhite692

rwhite692 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Wait a minute...

They put...Salt...on the roads??!?

.....Just kidding. I grew up in NY and watched road salt destroy every vehicle in the family. If I lived in a snow/salt area of the country it would pain me to expose any new car to that, let alone a hellcat....