SRT Hellcat Forum banner

WON'T PASS SMOG!!!

15K views 70 replies 33 participants last post by  2020 white knuckle 
#1 ·
I’m simply expressing my dissatisfaction with Dodge’s resolve and urgency to fix my problem: I can’t complete the registration of my Hellcat because…

I Ordered through a dealer in Arizona @ MSRP, but I live in California so I'm required by law, even though it's a new car, to have it tested. For the last 3 months - I CAN’T PASS THE CA SMOG TEST!!!!!!

SRT Tech as well as an SRT Engineer have tried over the course of 3 months now by dealing with issues concerning the bypass valve/throttle body, then it was the catalytic converter and oxygen sensor... and the last attempt indicated a code which referred to an issue with the EGR Valve (the Hellcat doesn’t even an EGR Valve). UGH!

My hope is that someone who cares, sees this and passes the info along to someone who can elevate the level of attention to get this taken care of!

Case #: 27589287

#3 ·
Wow that SUCKS. I can't believe SRT can't get it resolved. What about all the other Hellcat's that are in CA? Does this mean they are going to fail next year?:eek::eek::eek:

Bump the thread to get someone's attention. Hope it gets sorted out. I also hope Dodge doesn't have a ECU flash that detunes the car to pass.
L J

#5 ·
I did the SRT Track Experience in Ca earlier this year and there was a Rep from SRT there who asked any of us with Hellcats if he could "hook' into our computers to check various readings including emissions. He checked mine (only 500 miles then) said no issues, but got my name and number to follow up sometime in October this year. Thinking that they may have some concerns along the lines you are experiencing.

Anyone else hear anything?

#6 ·
If memory serves me, I thought Cadillac had a similar issue about 10-15 years back, in CA. GM knew they wouldn't pass CA emissions and sent them anyway. Tthe fix was a new ECU or a flash. Can't remember exactly.

L J

#7 ·
Gotta ask, you didn't by chance put a 180 deg thermostat in her did you?

#14 ·
Good to hear you're getting somewhere.
L J

#15 ·
I'm sorry to say this and don't mean any offense to anyone inparticular..... but there is nothing about Cali. that I like at all. From their uncooperative public offices right on through their rediculous Gun laws, concealed carrying license non recipricosity with most of the US. and finally their inflated taxes, cost of living, over crowded roads and vehicle certification processes.. just to mention a few..:eek:. got a latta Moo... couldn't pay me to live there.... JMO... of course.. :D:D:D They do have some nice scenery tho..... o_O

#17 ·
Being from NY just outside the city was no picnic either. I don't think the grass is much greener there. That's why I moved my ass to North Carolina, in the middle of nowhere. Lots of guns, and everybody watching each others back. :)

#21 ·
Every dealer wanted 5-20 over. Arizona was the only place I found an msrp a8.

If anyone else bought from a different state and smogged it in california, please let me know.

Reactions: srtjay
#24 ·
Bought her in Alabama, live and smogged in ca.
I'm in so cal, so required both dmv insp and smog insp. My regular smog guy could only say good things about the car, passed with flying colors. Dmv lady even liked her.
Sounds like yours is throwing a code, in which case, nobody would be able to get it through.
I would think a local dealer would be able to diagnose and repair any problem that dealt with the smog system or emissions. I'm certainly hoping that my local dealer isn't the one that's having the issue with diagnostics, that sounds like the number of HC's that my dealer said they were servicing.
Please send me a pm with your dealers info if you're in coastal southern ca. I'm just getting ready for my first service there. I did go in to reintroduce myself to both the service manager and viper tech that would be doing the work. I left feeling they were an exceptional shop with very well trained technicians. I'm feeling comfortable with leaving my vehicle for service, be it a caravan or Hellcat. If your dealer isn't the same one, maybe it should be. If it is, maybe I should be interviewing others.
Btw, I love it here, although the gun laws (and a lot of other things) are ridiculous, the weather, living conditions and scenery are worth it to me.

#32 ·
Yea, I know....sorry, bought here.....the clocks ticking:(:(:(.....and you know, it will only get worse.....Good luck...

BTW..did you notice they moved the smog requirement from 25 years or older, to 1975 and older......eventually had to give up my 1989 truck because of that :(:(

I hope FCA can help...:)

#36 ·
Hopefully one day soon ( God willing) that state falls into ocean, and takes every last one of those tree hugging, hippie lib,hate everything that's fun, dumbasses with it!!!

#41 ·
Believe it or not, there are a lot of people out here in California that do not agree with most of the liberal agenda, and all the BS that we have to put up with. however, it is what it is and I love the state and all that it has to offer. And there are ways around pretty much everything if you take the time to figure out how to do that.
Makes sense to a point.... but I have to question any State that "sets up" its constituents to have to "get around thinks" to live a normal "reasonable" life style and not expect what any average person deems a "normal sense of living" in the United States of America. What is the benefit to making basic essential needs / rights more difficult then anywhere else in our country.... I don't get it?? o_Oo_Oo_O

#48 ·
I don't think that California is the most difficult state in the Union. Every state has its advantages and disadvantages. I may be a bit biased, since I was born and raised here, but to each his and her own. Your happy where you are and I'm happy where I am. One advantage I have is I get to drive my cat year round. And I just love that. :D

#42 ·
Being from NY just outside the city was no picnic either. I don't think the grass is much greener there. That's why I moved my ass to North Carolina, in the middle of nowhere. Lots of guns, and everybody watching each others back. :)
Hell yes, ijaviation , I'm a country boy living the country life,free and protected. I will visit a large city but never lived in one so I'm not convertable in most large city's . I know why they have Road Rage lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.