wow, just went for a cruize!!!

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by jaque, Nov 14, 2015.

1. jaque

jaque Silver Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    man finally got to take her out for a little tooling round town, buddy has a lambo huracan and benz that are both monsters and let him drive. man this car is power on top of power, love the sound in track mode. i love this freakin car.. cant beleive the the sound, smell and overall experience.. my 70 426 hauls but this hemi shames it.. im just smitten with this car.. only 78 miles so far just loosening her up for some real ripping, plan on putting at least the 500miles, IMG_3107.JPG b4 i tuck her away for winter, any suggestions you guys have learned to break her in nice?? WT says drive like stole it from day 1 but still a little scared.. thoughts??

• Like Like x 2
  2. Cerino2000

Cerino2000 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The thing that has to be considered (and why drive it like you stole it isn't a good idea) is not necessarily for the sake of the engine, it's really for other driveline components that need a wear pattern to be established. One good example is the rear differential. The gears mesh together and establish a wear relationship ( for lack of better words ). The idea is that starting out that relationship easy will give you the best longevity. So while beatng on it too much early may not cause you a problem now, the thought is that if you do beat on it too hard while new, driveline components won't last as long as they would had you broken it in properly. If you don't keep it long you may not ever see any effects of it but a future owner down the road might.

In contrast to that thought, some say why not establish a wear pattern relative to how the car will be driven most of the time. Lots of opinions to consider.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Redboots

Redboots Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What he said on break in.

4. Sb31767

Sb31767 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Having had many race cars it's a wife's tale. If a car is built w truly tight tolerances which these are supposed to be you can run it hard from the get go. The thing is the factory wants to build Ina cushion.

5. Redboots

Redboots Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I want what the factory wants. I don't want to be without the car even if it's covered by warranty. 500 miles is nothing.

6. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    and the 45 minutes the engine is run on the dyno after its built is nothing.. ( and how does anyone know how long it was actually run?) your engine is not "broken in" after 45 minutes..

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mills

Mills Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    And what are you "breaking in"?? After the 45 mins run, assuming they don't just run it at a constant rpm, the rings will be seated and that is all there is to it. Nothing is getting stronger after more run time

Rear end - yeah you want to establish a proper wear pattern, but to really do it right means running the car with tires off the ground with no load

Bottom line: if it makes you feel better to follow the manual with its break-in procedure that hasnt changed since the days of cast iron rings and manual machining operations. Go for it. But nothing is magically stronger after 500 miles

Ever watch them drive them off the line, around the plant, onto th carrier?...stone cold and go? Getting on the gas before 500 isn't what worries me with shortening the life

8. waiting for mine

waiting for mine 10/30/15 DELIVERED ON DEVILS NIGHT

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The break in 500 miles is more for you to understand what this car is capable of. Most are sold to people with no respect for the power nor how to keep it under control when she is in killing mode.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. jaque

jaque Silver Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    thanks for input, kinda doing a little a both not totally romping on it, but im not exactly driving like a grandma either. i will take the advice from fred flinstone up there, and learn the car and understand the capabalities of the car before i go apesh#%. 500 miles should give enough time, man its tough being patient in the thing, but i must learn too have respect, dont wanna end up in the weeds!!!

10. BODUKE

BODUKE Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There is a reason the factory says to drive it gently for 500 miles. Patience is key here. Break it in the proper way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Snappycat

Snappycat SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Followed break-in to the letter. 4300 miles later...no issues. The 500 miles will pass quickly...enjoy safely.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    change your oil the 500 mile break in and then beat on it....take it easy before the 500 miles...vary the speed...most of my break in was on the freeway and i just manually shifted gears....i could not keep it under 55mph......so i didnt do the perfect break in, but i doubt anyone does 500 miles w/o going over 55mph

13. waiting for mine

waiting for mine 10/30/15 DELIVERED ON DEVILS NIGHT

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ay Jaque, the first 500 is the hardest, if i did it again i would drive it from like 2400 till 0500 when no one else was out with temptation. i now have 800 miles and have had it up to 6 rpm. at 1k ill let it hook 7 but looks like it will be spring time before that happens. Do u have an A8 ? if so be carful second day i had the cat it started raining I was at a stop light and had no idea i put it in paddle shift mode, the old girl was messing with the tunes so i could not hear the engine, I left the light nice and easy the next thing i know the cat did a t 180 * scared the shitzzzy out of me. LEARN THE CAR RESPECT THE POWER

14. BODUKE

BODUKE Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Can I have the first race with you?

15. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Congrats on the Cat... Enjoy the beast! ;) As for break in... I've built a lot of engines over the years and initial break in happens rather quickly and if not done properly it could lead to problems. (Piston ring seal and in older engines include the cams as well are the two critical items to get right) The first 30 minutes of life are critical to an engine. Once up to temp they need to be loaded fairly quickly to get the rings to seat properly and IMO that is one reason FCA breaks each HC engine in on the dyno. (They have to warranty them). Now beyond the initial break in there is a secondary period of "run in" where the engine components really take a set with each other (not as critical as initial break in). The drive line really needs a different approach as it really needs a more gradual break in. This includes, as other have said the clutch, transmissions, and especially the rear gears there break in period is longer and best if done on an easy progression. The brakes actually have a break in process called burnishing. So the FCA break in procedure is really geared around the whole car and what is best for the car as a package. Have fun and follow the recommendations and let rip!:D