SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anybody can provide any feedback on this, I would appreciate it very much. Today I started noticing this noise coming from the engine. I only hear it briefly (~1/4 sec) as soon as I accelerate and then it sounds normal. I'll shift to the next gear, accelerate, and hear it again, and then the sound is normal again. Try the link below to see a video clip of it. The engine doesn't do it when I am idling, or just sitting in neutral and revving the engine. It only happens when I am driving. So loose belt, belt tensioner issue? What thoughts does everyone have? Any input is much appreciated. Thanks.

'15 Challenger Hellcat squeal on acceleration

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. I'm not anywhere near redline. It happens just as I press the gas pedal and I only hear it briefly. It's a shrill or squealing noise that just started. Ait goes away less that a second after pressing the gas as I continue to accelerate.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Tuned in as I've heard the same at the start of acceleration. I have bad bearings in my snout so assumed it was that. If not that, maybe the pulley clutch?

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,315 Posts
If anybody can provide any feedback on this, I would appreciate it very much. Today I started noticing this noise coming from the engine. I only hear it briefly (~1/4 sec) as soon as I accelerate and then it sounds normal. I'll shift to the next gear, accelerate, and hear it again, and then the sound is normal again. Try the link below to see a video clip of it. The engine doesn't do it when I am idling, or just sitting in neutral and revving the engine. It only happens when I am driving. So loose belt, belt tensioner issue? What thoughts does everyone have? Any input is much appreciated. Thanks.

'15 Challenger Hellcat squeal on acceleration
I would think if either belt was loose the belt would slip/squeal when you rev the engine at idle. The engine can obviously rev up quicker which puts a bigger strain/load on the belts.

2015 MY? Is the engine accessory belt or even the supercharger belt due to be replaced on time or miles?

Have you checked the belts for any signs of wear, or degradation? Do all the accessory drive pulleys look ok? What about the idler/tensioner rollers? Sometimes a dragging idler/tensioner roller can have belt material on it.

Check the water pump for any leak sign. In fact you probably should remove the accessory drive belt and check all accessory drive pulleys for any bearing play. With other cars when I have done this the water pump had the play. Not much but compared to the other drives some. And some is a sign the water pump is bad.

If you reuse the "old" belt be sure you note the direction of rotation so you can install the belt so it runs the same direction as before.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No signs of wear or degradation on the belts that I can see. I cant see any belt material on the tensioner rollers either. If it was bad bearings in the snout, that doesn't sound good. How much would that hurt the wallet?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Diffidently not saying saying that is the cause but was throwing it out there as a possibility as I hear it every now and then too and I know I have at least one bad bearing in my Snout. I also have a bad tensioner bearing. If it's the snout you would hear a bearing noise at idle. Link to mine at the bottom of this post.

For the snout, you have a couple options:
  • Rebuild yourself - I have a little over $100 in the tools and bearings needed to do the job. Going to try and tackle myself.
  • Have the snout rebuilt - ~$800
  • Have your supercharger rebuilt - ~$2k

None of the above accounts for labor so if you can't do yourself add $ for that.

Hopefully you figure this out before I replace my bearings but if not and the sound goes away I'll let you know but it may be a couple months before I get to rebuilding mine.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,328 Posts
throwout bearing? although i haven't heard of any issues with these.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Here is the sound at idle. Thoughts?

At idle
Diffidently sounds to have a noisy snout too (sounds almost like mine). Not super bad or anything that you need to worry about being catastrophic right now but it's louder than it should be. You can get a mechanics stethoscope for fairly cheap if you want to confirm. Just put it on the top of the snout where bearing is housed to see if sounds like a "whoosh" sound or a grinding sound. If grinding the bearing is going bad.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,315 Posts
Here is the sound at idle. Thoughts?

At idle
My WAG is that sounds like it is coming from the supercharger. IIRC the 2015s were "known" to manifest supercharger bearing issues.

You can use a mechanic's stethoscope to pinpoint the source the noise. If not in the supercharger snout then an idler roller or tensioner roller bearing or even an accessory drive with the water pump the #1 suspect.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My fear is that it is the supercharger. The car has 59k miles on it. So it is by no means close to new anymore. I am having it looked at today. So hopefully the shop will be able to tell me what is going on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts