SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2017 HC Challenger. no tune----yet.
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
as title says I put a 190* Tstat in my 2017 and wanted to share some results since others posted contradicting responses.

at the end of the day it works great with no codes thrown. none yet anyways.

I'm in the PNW and its warm now but i suspect it wont effect thing in since I don't drive it in adverse weather anyways.

easy install. save your OEM unit just in case. Before it would hit 223* in 80 ish degree weather or any weather really.

With the 190 stat installed it runs a pretty consistent 190-192(it will sit at 188 sometimes) when moving and rises to 195-199 when idle. The other day I got caught in a major traffic back up due to accident well ahead of me and litterly sat in 100 plus degree weather for about an hour creeping along with AC on and it spiked to 199 but came down to 190-192 and stayed there. Not sure how or why but it did.

However,

as another member(s) pointed out in other threads it did cause my MPG to go down.

Im sold on it. Now if the code ever pops Ill re evaluate my thoughts on the matter.

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
1,225 Posts
as title says I put a 190* Tstat in my 2017 and wanted to share some results since others posted contradicting responses.

at the end of the day it works great with no codes thrown. none yet anyways.

I'm in the PNW and its warm now but i suspect it wont effect thing in since I don't drive it in adverse weather anyways.

easy install. save your OEM unit just in case. Before it would hit 223* in 80 ish degree weather or any weather really.

Runs a pretty consistent 190-192 when moving and rises to 195-199 when idle. The other day I got caught in a major traffic back up due to accident well ahead of me and litterly sat in 100 plus degree weather for about an hour creeping along with AC on and it spiked to 199 but came down to 190-192 and stayed there. Not sure how or why but it did.

However,

as another member(s) pointed out in other threads it did cause my MPG to go down.

Im sold on it. Now if the code ever pops Ill re evaluate my thoughts on the matter.
How much was your average MPG effected? From what to what before and after?

· Registered
1,225 Posts

· Registered
1,225 Posts
I wanted to. 213-223 is too hot.
I agree. Slightly less fuel economy in exchange for cooler engine bay and cooler intake air temps overall is worth it.

· Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With all that said. I do realize that FCA did this for a reason and many can argue the point till the cows come home but I don't give 2 $hits about the spotted owl, the red legged frog or emissions let alone MPG. It may throw a latency code as the ambient temp drops but most of those threads are speaking of 160-180 tstats with no tune. It hasn't thrown it yet on mine with a 190 stat but it hasn't gotten real cold here yet either. I plan on tuning it once my MOPAR extended warranty is up but so far it has been one of the most beneficial mods I have made to this car even if its only in my mind that its beneficial.
Its also worth noting that I use a modified JLT intake that I have sealed to the hood and run an extra "ram air" tube to the JLT airbox.

· Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since IATs were brought Ill add this.

I have a modified JLT intake where I sealed box to the hood using a 2 ft length of pipe insulation and added a second "ram air" hood tube to the lower box portion.

Before the JLT and 190 stat it was OEM IAT temps of about 40 above ambient moving and 159+ when not moving. Intake coolant runs at 10-20 above ambient.

after the JLT and 190 stat IAT runs about 20-30 above ambient but will still spike to as high as 159+ at dead stop for long periods time and intake coolant about 10 above ambient.

at the end of the day results were negligible but in my mind worth it.

· Registered
1,225 Posts
Since IATs were brought Ill add this.

I have a modified JLT intake where I sealed box to the hood using a 2 ft length of pipe insulation and added a second "ram air" hood tube to the lower box portion.

Before the JLT and 190 stat it was OEM IAT temps of about 40 above ambient moving and 159+ when not moving. Intake coolant runs at 10-20 above ambient.

after the JLT and 190 stat IAT runs about 20-30 above ambient but will still spike to as high as 159+ at dead stop for long periods time and intake coolant about 10 above ambient.

at the end of the day results were negligible but in my mind worth it.
Do you have any pics of that intake setup?

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
404 Posts
I’m thinking of doing this on my Redeye.

how much of a pain was it to swap without getting air in the system? Vapour lock and purging a coolant system can be a ***** if I remember from my past cars...

subscribed

· Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I’m thinking of doing this on my Redeye.

how much of a pain was it to swap without getting air in the system? Vapour lock and purging a coolant system can be a * if I remember from my past cars...

subscribed
for me it was easier than changing the stat on a old school chevy V8 and those are as about as easy as it comes. Look for you tube videos. I'm anal so I created my own "catch" system for errant drips of coolant but there was none. You are going to get a ton of advice on how to do it but trust me when I say its easy. I googled "speedys garage" and watched him do it and then went out and did mine.
Make sure engine cools overnight before you start and DO NOT open the reservoir coolant cap.

EDIT. if you watch speedys garage video and all the other tstat swap videos you'll notice most use a large zip lock bag taped or wedged or held in place somehow under the "neck" you will have no errant leaks. I taped a large ziplock freezer bag directly under the neck so when you first pop off the neck it will catch all the drips from the initial neck removal. this is coolant trapped behind the stat which is maybe a cup worth+ or-.

· Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just an update here. we're headed into Winter and with my 190゚ thermostat installed in my stock untuned 2017 hellcat challenger I still have no codes thrown as a result of installing the 190 tstat.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.