SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

· Premium Member
2022 Challenger Jail Break
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a JB on order with the 2.62's, when i placed the order I felt that it would be torquey enough and the 3.09's would be too much for street tires. For the track I don't know, if it goes to the track once a year at most.

So AFTER i placed the order I did a ton of researching on this(3.09 on a Red Eye), and no one really has a good answer. From my search it pretty much goes like this.

"Feels more punchy on the street, I love it"
"I took it to the track, very disappointed no measurable improvement in the 1/4"
"Took it to the track, I ran 0.1s faster but I also think it could have been all these other factors"
"Once you upgrade to higher HP levels the 2.62 is the better gear anyway"
"The fastest Red Eye is running 2.62's"
"3.09's feel faster but in the 1/4 the A8 needs to make another shift, so it's close to the 2.62 at the end."

These threads I looked at were a few years old. Anyone have any updated info on this? I mean I'm stuck with the 2.62's it's just curiosity for me now, and maybe I'd upgrade them at a later time......

· Registered
423 Posts
I have a JB on order with the 2.62's, when i placed the order I felt that it would be torquey enough and the 3.09's would be too much for street tires. For the track I don't know, if it goes to the track once a year at most.

So AFTER i placed the order I did a ton of researching on this(3.09 on a Red Eye), and no one really has a good answer. From my search it pretty much goes like this.

"I took it to the track, very disappointed no measurable improvement in the 1/4"
"Took it to the track, I ran 0.1s faster but I also think it could have been all these other factors"
"3.09's feel faster but in the 1/4 the A8 needs to make another shift, so it's close to the 2.62 at the end."

These threads I looked at were a few years old. Anyone have any updated info on this? I mean I'm stuck with the 2.62's it's just curiosity for me now, and maybe I'd upgrade them at a later time......
The truth is the difference between the 2.62 and 3.09 is minimal and you could be happy with either one. If you were blindfolded in the passenger seat while your spouse or partner drove around town running errands, you would not be able to tell the difference at all.

The 2.62 will save a little on gas, it will be a little quieter on the highway, and if you’re a cruiser (like me) rather than a racer, your powertrain should last longer. On the downside, if you are a racer, the 2.62 transfers more strain to the driveline at launch and, consequently, it handles less power than the 3.09. Nevertheless, if you don’t intend of pushing the car to its limits the 2.62 is a great all-around choice.

The 3.09, as you might expect, requires less throttle to get going from a stop or red light. This makes the car feel a bit lighter, quicker, and less cumbersome. So, if like me you’re a cruiser and not a racer, and 90% of your time is spent driving through small picturesque New England towns or something similar, then the 3.09 has something to offer. But maybe you’re not like me and you use the throttle like an ON/OFF switch. Well in that case, like I said above, the 3.09 will help the powertrain absorb more abuse than the 2.62.

If you’re the type of person that wants the quickest possible quarter-mile and you don’t care about maintaining warranty or breaking things to achieve your goals—and there are many of these people on this board—then my input here will not be of much help.

To summarize, I have the 3.09 and I love it, but I’m quite sure I would have been happy with the 2.62 as well.

· Registered
2015 Charger SRT Hellcat
4,088 Posts
If you do the math, it's 18% difference. I would think that would make a big difference in things like what you'll be using it for; like RPM when crossing the line at the end of a 1/8 mile or 1/4 mile. A 1" difference in tire diameter is only 3.5%.

· Administrator
Challenger SRT Hellcat
8,163 Posts
I don't have a RedEye but I have driven a REWB with a 3.09 on the track. I also have a friend that has a 2.62 geared normal body.
The 2.62 cars best 60' is a 1.43 and the 3.09 is a 1.41. the 2.62 car is completely stock while the other is slightly modded. They both have about the same PB et of around10.17.

I have 2.62 gears in my cat and I prefer them as the car on a trip is just a comfy big car.
I drive in street trans while cruising around. I don't like Sport because it likes to hang onto 7th gear at legal highway speeds. I don't care for the sound. This would be very close to a 3.09 gear car in 8th.

As far as the track goes. While my car was stock for 5years I have not been outperformed by another stock 2.62 car on the same day/same track.
I have a PB 60' of 1.497 with my car. Not many if any stock Hellcats have run that even with a 3.09.
I now have a tune to fix some issues made worse by the cat recall. Basically there is some added fuel in spots and raised shift points. Actually we took out a degree of timing in peaks to combat the effects of crap winter fuel. Or that is hopefully the cause.
There is a YouTuber that says he basically has done similar tune wise as I have. He has weight reduction and I do not. He has 3.09's and sweats by them. Our PB's are very similar and our PB 60' times are the same.

Load on the drive train well ok I guess.
Remember our cars have a 4.71 st gear ratio and final drive of 2.62.
If I remember my old car I raced way back had a 1st gear of 2.64 and a 4.56 rear gear.
Reverse the order of the numbers and we have more gear than an old race car. LOL
The added load will be in higher gears when the shock of launch is long over with.

If you are concerned about overwhelming the tires on the street. The 2.62 is quite capable of making it difficult to get traction.

Just my experience and thoughts on the subject.
Enjoy your new car.

· HOTM Winner
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
12,747 Posts
Ive had both. Cruising around town I am a gear higher at the same 40-50mph at the same rpm’s with the 3.09’s than with the 2.62’s. Maybe that will be a better way to describe it for you.
Either is fine and you wont miss the 3.09’s if you havent driven with them. But if you do you will want them. There is a reason people with them love them.

· Premium Member
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I'm surmising (again from what I've read) it's that it's little to no gain in the actual 1/4 mile but more fun to drive. I don't think anyone has ever posted up they had a big gain at the track from the gear change. It just feels better on the street because it's more torquey. I think if I had to order my car again, I would lean toward the 3.09........ But maybe I'd get a stage 3 direct connection kit one day and then would want the 2.62s!

· Registered
802 Posts

It cost more so it has to be better 🙂

· Premium Member
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also one last question while we are on this subject. Very confusing posts in the past saying that only the 3.09 rear on the red eye is the "demon" rear and with the strengthened axles and driveshaft. Posts claim the 2.62 rear is not the same and has weaker components.

Other posters say that's not accurate both the 2.62 and 3.09 in the red eye have the same strength components. Is this put to bed yet? I think the answer is that they are the same in the Red Eye as far as axles/carrier strength/driveshaft?

· Premium Member
21 Challenger Redeye, 21 Trackhawk
332 Posts
The drivetrain in all of the H.O. motor equipped vehicles is 20% stronger than the drivetrain in the none H.O. equipped vehicles. It doesn't matter if it's 2.62 or 3.09.

· Registered
'23 Redeye Jailbreak
5,026 Posts
The 3.09 makes street work in the Redeye a bit... sketchy in my opinion. Even with the 305s on the widebody, the 3.09 seems to be much more difficult to launch in a controlled fashion on the street. On the strip, it's fine. 1st and 2nd gears on the street with the 3.09 can't really be used to their full potential. This is why a lot of folks like to race from a 40 or 60 roll. Which, in my mind, defeats the purpose of having a 3.09 in the first place, but that's just me.

The difference between the 2.62 and 3.09 is most felt in 3rd gear. The 3.09 will pull harder from 1st through 3rd, whereas the 2.62 has strengths later on. On the street, the 2.62 is more forgiving, so unless you're in a sanctioned track event, the 3.09 tends to be more of a liability. You also get better MPG with the 2.62. It's for these reasons that I went 2.62 with my JB. As the saying goes, if you're spinnin', you ain't winnin'. My JB is intended to be a street cruiser, not a race car. So, I want street performance and you get better street performance off of the 2.62.

· Registered
423 Posts
Well I'm surmising (again from what I've read) it's that it's little to no gain in the actual 1/4 mile but more fun to drive. I don't think anyone has ever posted up they had a big gain at the track from the gear change. It just feels better on the street because it's more torquey. I think if I had to order my car again, I would lean toward the 3.09........ But maybe I'd get a stage 3 direct connection kit one day and then would want the 2.62s!
That or the 3.09 and better control of your foot.

· Registered
423 Posts
Also one last question while we are on this subject. Very confusing posts in the past saying that only the 3.09 rear on the red eye is the "demon" rear and with the strengthened axles and driveshaft. Posts claim the 2.62 rear is not the same and has weaker components.

Other posters say that's not accurate both the 2.62 and 3.09 in the red eye have the same strength components. Is this put to bed yet? I think the answer is that they are the same in the Red Eye as far as axles/carrier strength/driveshaft?
The 3.09 IS made of higher strength components.
See post #11 above.

· Registered
SRT DEMON ONESEAT
4,218 Posts

· HOTM Winner
465 Posts
The 3.09, as you might expect, requires less throttle to get going from a stop or red light. This makes the car feel a bit lighter, quicker, and less cumbersome. So, if like me you’re a cruiser and not a racer, and 90% of your time is spent driving through small picturesque New England towns or something similar, then the 3.09 has something to offer. But maybe you’re not like me and you use the throttle like an ON/OFF switch. Well in that case, like I said above, the 3.09 will help the powertrain absorb more abuse than the 2.62.
Hey, I live in a small picturesque New England town and I recommend the 3.09's! I do think the car tears through first gear a bit too quickly, and if you full throttle 1st from a dead stop you'll probably lose control of the vehicle, but with a little self-control it's never bad to have the more premium option. I do believe the 3.09's are quicker having owned the 2.62. The problem is that you aren't going to get the proper grip on the stock tires to make a difference.

· Premium Member
21 Challenger Redeye, 21 Trackhawk
332 Posts
Mr. Reaper,
I wish I had a positive answer to your original question but I'm in the same boat.
My REWB is equipped with the 2.62 gearing. I currently have on order a 3.09 differential. (for several weeks)
My reasoning is, I don't really do a lot of highway driving, it's really a Sunday afternoon type of car. I might drag race it two or three times a year. However there is about a 16.5% difference in the gear ratios which in a short simplified version means 16.5% more torque going to the wheels and a 16.5 percent increase in RPM.
So for me, I asked myself a series of questions.
Am I going to be doing long high speed highway trips? if the answer was yes I would stick with a 2.62.
Do I care about fuel economy? if the answer is yes stick with the 2.62.
Do I want the car to feel a little more peppy or snappy driving around town? if the answer is yes, go with the 3 .09.
The drag racing question I think is kind of a wash mixed reviews on that, however the demon was equipped with a 3.09.
One would guess that a 3.09 would be better for drag racing so if I was going to be doing drag racing, go with the 3.09

All of my answers pointed towards getting a 3.09 for my car.
Hopefully somebody else will be able to add to the "which differential is gearing is better for me" checklist.

· Registered
423 Posts
Wow that 2.62 looks like garbage compared to the 3.09, lol. Looks a little dingy. I guess I'll have to wash mine when I get it :)
Both pics are from Dodge. I certainly didn't mean to put down your diff choice in any way.

By the way... I think you placed your order fairly recently. You could still change to the 3.09 if you wanted. I'm not saying you should, just that you could if you wanted. I made changes after ordering.

· Premium Member
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks all, I'm stuck with the 2.62's but I don't think it's a big deal. As far as the questions @BHoward I would do mostly highway with it. It would be doing interstate drives and I'd probably gun it on the onramps a lot, lol. Also probably do a few 60mph to 100mph pulls a few times a week.. :D

As far as changing to 3.09's now I talked to the dealer yesterday, order in in accepted status and should be getting a VIN any second, he's checking every other day for me. SO I don't want to mess up the works now.......

· Registered
'22 Sinamon Redeye Standard Body
2,961 Posts
I've had both, and I just ordered a RE with 3.09s. I just like the everyday feel of the 3.09 around town (where I do most of my driving). The RPMs always seem to be in the right spot. I also thought that they would be bothersome on the highway but you do get used to it and don't even notice it after a while. As far as gas mileage is concerned, it's about the same with both. Im with you about not changing the order. I wouldn't want to screw things up. It's really not that much of a difference.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts