SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bone stock '18 Trackhawk.
First, I plan on getting a cool air intake but I live in TX where it is currently 106 degrees. There isn't any cool air to intake. Obviously I want it for more forced induction but even more so for the extra whine. Would I benefit at all by getting it anyway, regardless of high summer heat? Clearly the whine will enhance tremendously but will I benefit at all with performance?

Second. I am also going to get a solid exhaust system. Just not immediately. I promised the ol' lady I would hold off since she is pregnant and the big boy TH comes with big boy spending. I have Borla ATAK on my SRT Jeep currently and plan on returning when the time is right but... for the time being, I have seen a lot of videos of guys doing mid muffler deletes. Sounds better than stock for sure but not as good as a solid exhaust system. My question is, what about the necessary back pressure from that muffler? Does deleting that not affect performance at all? I appreciate any shared information and/or replies.

·
Super Moderator
Charger SRT Hellcat
7,961 Posts
There are members who can give you the MFLER Delete answers.

I have the AWE Track Track edition installed on my Hellcat Charger and absolutely love the sound.
Me, I would save the money on a CAI and put it towards the Exhaust......( I have both though )

I just wanted to show that AWE has an Exhaust for the Trackhawk.

Click in the Touring or tack edition and e sure to scroll down to read the description.

Here's a breakdown from AWE:

https://www.awe-tuning.com/180-technology/

·
Registered
'21 C8 2LT || Former 2020 Hellcat
3,323 Posts
First, I plan on getting a cool air intake but I live in TX where it is currently 106 degrees. There isn't any cool air to intake. Obviously I want it for more forced induction but even more so for the extra whine. Would I benefit at all by getting it anyway, regardless of high summer heat? Clearly the whine will enhance tremendously but will I benefit at all with performance?

Second. I am also going to get a solid exhaust system. Just not immediately. I promised the ol' lady I would hold off since she is pregnant and the big boy TH comes with big boy spending. I have Borla ATAK on my SRT Jeep currently and plan on returning when the time is right but... for the time being, I have seen a lot of videos of guys doing mid muffler deletes. Sounds better than stock for sure but not as good as a solid exhaust system. My question is, what about the necessary back pressure from that muffler? Does deleting that not affect performance at all? I appreciate any shared information and/or replies.
1. Not a fan of muffler deletes. I personally don't like ratty dump truck noise coming from my $100k car.
2. Your back pressure on the exhaust comes primarily from your cats. The mufflers are very high flow units (and there's a few pro race cars running 8s on the full stock exhaust kit). So, cutting the muffler won't hurt the car's performance, but it won't help much either.
3. Every vehicle with a Hellcat motor comes with a factory cold air intake system. Upgrading to an aftermarket version may gain some blower noise, but you'll net little if any functional horsepower.

·
HOTM Winner
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
11,760 Posts
Agree with Xylander. Mid muffler delete just turns you into that 16 yr old in the neighborhood with the fart can that needs attention lol. Making it loud just to make noise is just an eye roller. I’d wait for a real exhaust.
CAI whine noise is a different story lol. No performance gain but it should def wake up the supercharger a bit.

Reactions: TX432HAWK

·
Registered
2021 Durango Hellcat
102 Posts
I have heard BWoody CAI on many Trackhawks and they sound amazing! I have JLT on my Hellcat it sounds just as good.

I was a huge Borla and Flowmaster fan(still like them today) however, GT Haus is the next level exhaust you want! Every car event I go to it stands out and rumbles the best.

Cutting out the mid muffler suitcase will make it sound louder slightly at a stand still and during acceleration it will give a raspy popping sound like a Mustang. Personally a full exhaust set up or even cat-back sounds so much more full-bodied! Just an opinion!

Good Luck, have fun!

·
Premium Member
21 Challenger Redeye, 21 Trackhawk
238 Posts
I have a 21 Trackhawk, well the wife does lol.
I am the first to say intakes and exhaust don't make power.
There's a performance shop fairly close to me with an all-wheel drive dyno.
I have personally watched them dyno 2 trackhawks, then install the LMI intake then watch the trackhawk gain about 20 horsepower.
The wife's track Hawk was not part of these two I had already installed the LMI intake and the borla attack exhaust.
And hers had about 20 horsepower more than the other trackhawks with just a LMI intake.
And no there's no dyno manipulation going on, the shop predominantly works on Subarus and they don't sell LMI intakes or any type of trackhawk accessories.

I have not noticed the air intake temperature going up after the LMI here in the TX heat, but the sound is awesome.

Reactions: 2fast4u

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agree with Xylander. Mid muffler delete just turns you into that 16 yr old in the neighborhood with the fart can that needs attention lol. Making it loud just to make noise is just an eye roller. I’d wait for a real exhaust.
CAI whine noise is a different story lol. No performance gain but it should def wake up the supercharger a bit.
I have heard BWoody CAI on many Trackhawks and they sound amazing! I have JLT on my Hellcat it sounds just as good.

I was a huge Borla and Flowmaster fan(still like them today) however, GT Haus is the next level exhaust you want! Every car event I go to it stands out and rumbles the best.

Cutting out the mid muffler suitcase will make it sound louder slightly at a stand still and during acceleration it will give a raspy popping sound like a Mustang. Personally a full exhaust set up or even cat-back sounds so much more full-bodied! Just an opinion!

Good Luck, have fun!
Nobody wants to sound like a shit Mustang. Valid point. That GT Haus is something serious. The valve system is awesome! I've heard it on a 392 and it was beautiful. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a 21 Trackhawk, well the wife does lol.
I am the first to say intakes and exhaust don't make power.
There's a performance shop fairly close to me with an all-wheel drive dyno.
I have personally watched them dyno 2 trackhawks, then install the LMI intake then watch the trackhawk gain about 20 horsepower.
The wife's track Hawk was not part of these two I had already installed the LMI intake and the borla attack exhaust.
And hers had about 20 horsepower more than the other trackhawks with just a LMI intake.
And no there's no dyno manipulation going on, the shop predominantly works on Subarus and they don't sell LMI intakes or any type of trackhawk accessories.

I have not noticed the air intake temperature going up after the LMI here in the TX heat, but the sound is awesome.
Good to know, thank you for your input. I appreciate it!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1. Not a fan of muffler deletes. I personally don't like ratty dump truck noise coming from my $100k car.
2. Your back pressure on the exhaust comes primarily from your cats. The mufflers are very high flow units (and there's a few pro race cars running 8s on the full stock exhaust kit). So, cutting the muffler won't hurt the car's performance, but it won't help much either.
3. Every vehicle with a Hellcat motor comes with a factory cold air intake system. Upgrading to an aftermarket version may gain some blower noise, but you'll net little if any functional horsepower.
Thank you for your response. Muffler delete isn't my favorite exhaust note and I agree.. and also, you're right. Why spend 100k on a vehicle to cheap route modifications? Thanks for your response.

·
Premium Member
21 Challenger Redeye, 21 Trackhawk
238 Posts
I should also add that I have the borla attack exhaust on both my Redeye and the wives trackhawk although my Redeye has the active exhaust valves.
When I had my Redeye on the dyno everybody agreed it sounded amazing, I of course really like it, everybody gathered around to enjoy the sound and the show. As a side note the Redeye still holds the highest horsepower for that Dyno at that shop.
With the trackhawk on the dyno everybody agreed while it sounded really good it was much louder than the Redeye. .
Inside the trackhawk it does sound quiet, all you can hear is blower wine but outside to the rear it is pretty loud.

Reactions: DangCat

·
Registered
2021 Durango Hellcat
102 Posts
Nobody wants to sound like a shit Mustang. Valid point. That GT Haus is something serious. The valve system is awesome! I've heard it on a 392 and it was beautiful. Thanks for your input.
Also, as far as temps go, the highest I peaked at with the JLT CAI was approximately 161° in stand still traffic for 45min while outside temps were approximately 98° medium humidity.

dunno anything on LMI or BWoody on temps…but I have heard all 3 and they all sound great!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I should also add that I have the borla attack exhaust on both my Redeye and the wives trackhawk although my Redeye has the active exhaust valves.
When I had my Redeye on the dyno everybody agreed it sounded amazing, I of course really like it, everybody gathered around to enjoy the sound and the show. As a side note the Redeye still holds the highest horsepower for that Dyno at that shop.
With the trackhawk on the dyno everybody agreed while it sounded really good it was much louder than the Redeye. .
Inside the trackhawk it does sound quiet, all you can hear is blower wine but outside to the rear it is pretty loud.
Yeah man I love Borla ATAK. It is what is currently on my SRT Jeep and it sounds great but with the down payment and Intake costs I need to hold off on exhaust. I have the money for it but I made a deal with the wife. womp womp womp hahah thank you for the input though man, I appreciate it! Congrats on your dyno record as well!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also, as far as temps go, the highest I peaked at with the JLT CAI was approximately 161° in stand still traffic for 45min while outside temps were approximately 98° medium humidity.

dunno anything on LMI or BWoody on temps…but I have heard all 3 and they all sound great!
Damn! That isn't bad at all! I mean, 161 is hot but stand still traffic and almost 100 out, not too bad.

·
Registered
In The Market
343 Posts

Where in Texas are you? I have the Borla S type and I might be willing to swap it for a stock cat back plus some cash. It’s just too loud since I put in the 426.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Where in Texas are you? I have the Borla S type and I might be willing to swap it for a stock cat back plus some cash. It’s just too loud since I put in the 426.
ooooweeeeee! 426?! You may need to reevaluate your username haha! That's a BIG little hemi. Sounds awesome, I bet that thing shits and gets!!
I'm in the desert. Out here in the oilpatch. Midland. How about yourself?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts