SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all Cat Family hope all is well and everyone is doing well and feeling well and staying safe. So my question is to all owners who live in a 2 plate state. I live in Texas as it is required so I was wondering how everyone feels about it. I have had my car for a little over 2 years as I don’t drive it much but I really want too. I am tore on having a front plate all the small drives I have been on I haven’t been pulled over but you are talking 5 to 10 miles of most highway and no really intercity driving. I want to enjoy my car more but don’t want to be hassled by the police. I don’t have anything to hide nor have a record of any kind. What do you guys and gals think?

Thank you sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
683 Posts
I’m in Illinois and abhor front license plates. Over the years, I’ve been pulled over three times and my wife once for no front plate. It is not a moving violation here so no concerns about losing my license or paying higher insurance rates, just the fine, itself.

Right now my two daily drivers and the Hellcat have no front plate. It’s been almost 4 years since the last ticket, so I am probably due. But I have no intention of ever putting plates on anything at this point and will just plan to keep paying the periodic fines. Luckily, the local constables don’t seem to mind.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,075 Posts
Sto n Sho all the way. Zero drilling, uses existing screws under the bumper for mounting, and has a quick release you pull and the whole thing comes right off. Best thing ever. not the best pics but you get the idea
IMG_0038.jpg
IMG_0039.jpg
IMG_0040.JPG

·
Registered
113 Posts
I live in a 2 plate state and haven't had a front plate in at least 20 years on various cars. I've never been pulled over for it either but it will depend on your area and how many rookie cops there are I suppose.

Corvettes and many other cars with large grills rarely ever have a front plate and the law is just a waste of money to be honest. I live in Illinois and we all know how that place is run so I don't know why they waste money producing twice the plates as needed. I heard one time the police want to be able to see expired plates if cars are pulled in backwards but that is bs because they now only give you one sticker for the plate.

The argument about radar is also b.s. because radar doesn't need a plate to be able to bounce off of.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
I live in So Cal, and have used 1 plate for the past few months with the hellcat. IMO they barely even look as I think they have other things to worry about.
However if they want to pull you over, this will be the reason.
As you know we can get over the speed limit in 2nd gear without even thinking about it, 3rd brings up 100+ in a flash.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
99 Posts
2 plate MO here... had a front plate on my 16 392 via some toggle bolts through the bottome grill. Have never had one on the Hellcat since Dec 18. Never pulled over and not worried about it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm in Illinois, too. My daily driver has front and rear plates but I have no intentions of putting a front plate on. The dealer put the plate bracket in the trunk so I'll mount the plate to that and leave it in the trunk. If I'm ever pulled over I'll say it just fell off.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye
1,243 Posts
In Va and only use 1 plate on the Hellcat. I don't believe it's a moving violation here but if stoped for something else they could ticket me.

Reactions: Lukehellcat

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
28 Posts
Grew up in New York, so I feel your 2 plate pain. You could look up what a ticket for the violation in your state would entail as far as a fine and or points. Assuming that pain is doable (once) for you, you could just run it and see what happens, you might never get a ticket. The downside to that method of course is it does subject you to being stopped 24/7 (in your home state at least) for no other reason.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,075 Posts
Connecticut and 2 plates. Ive been pulled over and ticketed for it. Hence the Sto n Sho. Thankfully no drilling.

·
Registered
9 Posts
NJ, never have done a front plate and never been pulled over. I do have a law enforcement plate so that could have helped

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
839 Posts
Wyoming only requires a front plate if equipped from the factory with a mount. So luckily nobody put one on mine, but I suppose it could be a reason too pull someone over and check?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
899 Posts
This is entirely hypothetical, but a person I know may or may not have had a Hellcat for 3+ years. During that 3+ years about 25k miles were put on the car traveling across multiple states. All the while potentially having the car registered in a 2 plate state. This person might have gotten pulled over once for speeding, only time for speeding, first time being stopped in 7 years. Cops made no mention of there not being a front plate. If it were me I would push my luck before I drilled into the front of my car.

Reactions: borden72

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello all Cat Family hope all is well and everyone is doing well and feeling well and staying safe. So my question is to all owners who live in a 2 plate state. I live in Texas as it is required so I was wondering how everyone feels about it. I have had my car for a little over 2 years as I don’t drive it much but I really want too. I am tore on having a front plate all the small drives I have been on I haven’t been pulled over but you are talking 5 to 10 miles of most highway and no really intercity driving. I want to enjoy my car more but don’t want to be hassled by the police. I don’t have anything to hide nor have a record of any kind. What do you guys and gals think?

Thank you sorry for the long post.
In CA hassled only when parked in busy cities.... not when moving.
Just got my Redeye and am wondering. (227 miles).
Non invasive mounting is intriguing but the plate ruins the mystique.
Haven't seen the plates yet and technically I need them in 8 days.
They were paid for in N.C. !
The spaceship will transform your life!
Congratulations..."Living well is the best revenge"

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
99 Posts
I'm in Illinois, too. My daily driver has front and rear plates but I have no intentions of putting a front plate on. The dealer put the plate bracket in the trunk so I'll mount the plate to that and leave it in the trunk. If I'm ever pulled over I'll say it just fell off.
Ive been pulled over on the Ill side for just a tinted plate cover!

·
Registered
2020 TorRed Charger SRT Hellcat
645 Posts
Do the Sto n Sho. Started using it back in 2018 (after 2 yrs of owning my 2016 B5) after I got 4 tickets in one week for it at 138 a piece. o_O

Last cop ran in the middle of Madison Ave on foot in traffic to pull me over for it. I kid you not.

Good ol' NYC.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts