SRT Hellcat Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,200 Posts
Hello all Cat Family hope all is well and everyone is doing well and feeling well and staying safe. So my question is to all owners who live in a 2 plate state. I live in Texas as it is required so I was wondering how everyone feels about it. I have had my car for a little over 2 years as I don’t drive it much but I really want too. I am tore on having a front plate all the small drives I have been on I haven’t been pulled over but you are talking 5 to 10 miles of most highway and no really intercity driving. I want to enjoy my car more but don’t want to be hassled by the police. I don’t have anything to hide nor have a record of any kind. What do you guys and gals think?

Thank you sorry for the long post.
Not advocating you violate the vehicle laws in your state. I lived in a 2 plate state for decades. For a good portion of that time my cars only had one plate.

I got pulled over a few times -- mostly for speeding -- and never once was anything said about the lack of a front plate.

Might mention I never parked on a city/state or federal agency's parking lot which are often patrolled by parking lot "police" and they will write a ticket for no front plate. Or expired registration.

I had the 2nd plate in the car in the trunk and had I been pulled over I could have placed it on the dash to I believe -- at least this is my understanding -- to then be in compliance with having a front plate visible on the car.

·
Registered
2019 Charger Hellcat
613 Posts
Luckily I live in a 1 plate state and I don't blame those of you who refuse to put a front plate on. Always thought the whole 2 plate law was the dumbest thing ever.

Reactions: Lukehellcat

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had the 2nd plate in the car in the trunk and had I been pulled over I could have placed it on the dash to I believe -- at least this is my understanding -- to then be in compliance with having a front plate visible on the car.
At least in Texas that no longer works. They changed the law to specifically state it must be mounted to the front bumper after a case was thrown out for unlawful stopping a vehicle for not front plate when it was in the windshield. That person was arrested for other things but it all got thrown out for that so they amended the law.

I always thought it was a no point violation but about 10 years ago I got ticketed for it and my insurance went up. Not sure if that's changed now or not but due to the point I put plates on all my cars but I made my own brackets to where it didn't require drilling holes into the front bumper. If it's just a fine (and no points) now then I would remove them and consider it a periodic tax for driving.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,113 Posts
This is entirely hypothetical, but a person I know may or may not have had a Hellcat for 3+ years. During that 3+ years about 25k miles were put on the car traveling across multiple states. All the while potentially having the car registered in a 2 plate state. This person might have gotten pulled over once for speeding, only time for speeding, first time being stopped in 7 years. Cops made no mention of there not being a front plate. If it were me I would push my luck before I drilled into the front of my car.
See post #6. Sto-n-Sho. No drilling. Quick release entire bracket. Never touches the paint. Costs less than one ticket.

·
Registered
55 Posts
2 plate state of Ohio. Didn't have a front plate on my Scat Pack (3 years, 20,000 miles) and don't have one on my Hell Cat. I see many cars without a front plate. I think the police know that the owners of nicer cars won't put one on. I don't think they will pull you over for no plate but if they pull you over for speeding or something, they will probably fine you for no front plate.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
6,635 Posts
2 plate state of Ohio.
Take that plate off!

Effective July 1, 2020, front plates no longer required in Ohio. Now your fuel taxes did go up because of it but oh well.

So now there are 20 states without a front plate requirement.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
486 Posts
2 plate state of Ohio. Didn't have a front plate on my Scat Pack (3 years, 20,000 miles) and don't have one on my Hell Cat. I see many cars without a front plate. I think the police know that the owners of nicer cars won't put one on. I don't think they will pull you over for no plate but if they pull you over for speeding or something, they will probably fine you for no front plate.
Yes as Slidd said. Any car enthusiast should know that Ohio just changed the law. Ohio only gives you 1 plate for new registration.

I now have a STO-N-GO for sale.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,396 Posts
I keep the Sho N Sto in the trunk. When and if I am ever hassled (have not been in five years of Hellcats now), just tell them you totally forgot to put it back on from the show. Be a gentlemen and it should be a quick and good conversation. But if some butt tickets me, I’ll pay to play, whatever they want to do to collect more of my $$$, I’ll just pay it cannot be that severe.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
917 Posts
See post #6. Sto-n-Sho. No drilling. Quick release entire bracket. Never touches the paint. Costs less than one ticket.
[/QUOTE knew about that product.
I was familiar with the product.

·
Registered
9,113 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
50 Posts
I got ticketed for not having one on my vette. I live in North Texas. I put one on with a clear cover over it. I then got pulled over by a state trooper and had to remove the clear cover. Nothing can be in front of the plate. I now have front plates on all of my vehicles to include my Hellcat Charger. I don't get bothered and all of my vehicles still seem to work just fine. The sto n show is what I use on my Charger. I don't really worry about how bad it looks to have a plate on. I don't like being pulled over and that bothers me more. It's a car and a front plate is not the end of the world.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
332 Posts
I live in California and haven't had one on my car since I got my brand new 1984 Mustang SVO. I've had at least 10 cars since then and never a front plate. I really don't think LEOs in California care. And yes I've been pulled over for speeding just a few times in that span. Like I said, I don't think they care.

Reactions: hansman

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
10 Posts
Hello all Cat Family hope all is well and everyone is doing well and feeling well and staying safe. So my question is to all owners who live in a 2 plate state. I live in Texas as it is required so I was wondering how everyone feels about it. I have had my car for a little over 2 years as I don’t drive it much but I really want too. I am tore on having a front plate all the small drives I have been on I haven’t been pulled over but you are talking 5 to 10 miles of most highway and no really intercity driving. I want to enjoy my car more but don’t want to be hassled by the police. I don’t have anything to hide nor have a record of any kind. What do you guys and gals think?

I also used the sto n sho mounting bracket, I drive around without and I figure if I ever was pulled over I'm always coming back from a car show
20190710_205502.jpg
20190710_205502.jpg
20190710_205324.jpg
20190710_205308.jpg
;)

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
28 Posts

I have never had front plates on any of my cars in a two plate state. Only been pulled over once for it. When the officer asked where it was I said in my garage where it belonged. He chuckled and let me go. IMO. I think it is a waste of money and resources. I wouldn’t worry about it. Especially if it is a car you don’t drive everyday.

·
Registered
Chargers: 08 SRT, 19 Hellcat, 21 Redeye
17 Posts
Slo, always worry about it touching the paint at Ludicris Speed. Have you tested it (on a closed course of course) to extreme?

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
Slo, always worry about it touching the paint at Ludicris Speed. Have you tested it (on a closed course of course) to extreme?
It has two little rubber bumpers on the top of the back side in case it gets bumped or if youre doing mach 1 and it somehow bends back. I havent ludicrous speed tested it but it does have a pull ring quick release so if you know youre going to do a top speed run you can just pull the whole thing right off. Ive been up to roughly 135 and so far there are no marks yet.

Reactions: Bill the 'cat

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,200 Posts
At least in Texas that no longer works. They changed the law to specifically state it must be mounted to the front bumper after a case was thrown out for unlawful stopping a vehicle for not front plate when it was in the windshield. That person was arrested for other things but it all got thrown out for that so they amended the law.

I always thought it was a no point violation but about 10 years ago I got ticketed for it and my insurance went up. Not sure if that's changed now or not but due to the point I put plates on all my cars but I made my own brackets to where it didn't require drilling holes into the front bumper. If it's just a fine (and no points) now then I would remove them and consider it a periodic tax for driving.
Last time I was in Texas -- July last year -- passing through on I-40 my Hellcat attracted no attention having just a rear plate. But I drove straight across the panhandle. Was not aware of the law. 'course, with out of state plates (make that plate) any Texas LEOs -- I don't recall seeing any close enough to make out the state my car was from -- if they paid the car any attention at all probably just assumed no front plate necessary.

If I lived in Texas I'd probably fit the front plate if the enforcement is "strict" and if the ticket is more than just a "fix it" ticket.

Here in AR I only got one plate when I registered my cars.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Take that plate off!
If you read my post, I do NOT have a front plate on. But thanks for the info, didn't know we went to a one-plate system.

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
Last time I was in Texas -- July last year -- passing through on I-40 my Hellcat attracted no attention having just a rear plate. But I drove straight across the panhandle. Was not aware of the law. 'course, with out of state plates (make that plate) any Texas LEOs -- I don't recall seeing any close enough to make out the state my car was from -- if they paid the car any attention at all probably just assumed no front plate necessary.

If I lived in Texas I'd probably fit the front plate if the enforcement is "strict" and if the ticket is more than just a "fix it" ticket.

Here in AR I only got one plate when I registered my cars.
If your state doesnt require it they cant ticket you in a state where they do if you have one plate.

Reactions: Alcat

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
917 Posts
Reactions: Alcat
21 - 40 of 42 Posts