SRT Hellcat Forum banner

221 - 240 of 271 Posts

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Yes. Checked with Kirk and he said the way the heads are ported won't impact fitment or functionality. I'll add you to the list!
Ok so this may be a stupid question but here goes. I have a 392 and I’m ordering a ported intake for the car what I’m wandering is since the intake is coming off if placing a thermal blanket under the intake would benefit any to keep the intake cooler? The intake doesn’t get really really hot but after a run or 2 it is hot to the touch (1 way i always check to see how much the car has cooled) I mean cooler is always better.

·
HOTM Winner
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #222
Ok so this may be a stupid question but here goes. I have a 392 and I’m ordering a ported intake for the car what I’m wandering is since the intake is coming off if placing a thermal blanket under the intake would benefit any to keep the intake cooler? The intake doesn’t get really really hot but after a run or 2 it is hot to the touch (1 way i always check to see how much the car has cooled) I mean cooler is always better.
Yes, it will reduce the temp of the manifold in any car NA or blower!

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Ok that’s cool (insert pun :) ) I will call them tomorrow I guess and see what they say. It’s gonna be off anyhow so why not. The intake does get pretty hot after a few runs. It’s plastic sitting on top of a hot motor so it couldn’t hurt

·
HOTM Winner
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
Let us know before and after PSI when you get the data.
You already know this because we spoke elsewhere, but I'm posting this here for others who might stumble upon this thread. Looks like I regained 2.7% boost, or about 3/4 of a lb. Which here at altitude is considerable.

Here's the dyno sheet. First run was baseline. Second, spacers/blanket. Third, spacers/blanket and more air, via Bwoody Velocity Stack.

After this testing session, we sent the logs to [email protected], and he was able to add 1.5 timing. So figure the gains were close to 52 WHP with the temp drop / boost recovery / and additional timing allowed by the cooled intercooler.

IMG_0301.JPG

Will begin the interchiller install in roughly a week. Having some fabrication work done to adds AN-16 bungs in various places, then we can get to work plumbing the system.

Also, will be testing out an Arc-Angel Lithium battery. About 18 lbs. If it can exist in a daily driver running an extra high flow pump, it'll be a nice offset to the weight of the reservoir tank (55 lbs filled w pump, roughly). I put up a separate thread on that, but I'll be posting results here, as well.

·
HOTM Winner
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
Here's video of the session. My son shot it, so go easy. There's a time-lapsed few minutes before the baseline dyno we filmed that is there to show that we were bringing the car up to temp. Doesn't make for compelling video, but the music is awesome, IMO. You can fast forward to 5:36 once you get to that portion of the video to see the baseline result. We brought it up to temp the same way before the run with the spacers. But we edited most of that out, because again, while it shows that we were consistent in our testing approach, it makes for tedious video.

·
HOTM Winner
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
Getting my tank and various other items back from the fabricator today, which means it's FINALLY time to begin the FI interchiller and stage 2 package. Essentially, I had AN-16 bungs welded onto everything I could possibly weld them to so that I can get the highest flow rate possible with the AN-16 hose. There are still I believe 3 fittings where I'll have to step down (16 to 12 female), but for the most part the entire circuit is going to flow through 1" hose.

I'm eager to see if the fabricator was able to weld AN-16 bungs onto the intercooler lines. They pulled it off in Australia, so I challenged my guy here to pull it off, as well. The opening is actually larger than the opening to the intercooler line, so it'll take some pretty good work.

Also, while I'm speaking about this, please note: a few of these welds that I'm having done are pretty tricky, because you're trying to weld to cast aluminum. So make sure you find a fabricator who is skilled at aluminum welding and has the right frequency machinery to get the job done. I first tried a guy who was recommended to me, and he was unable to complete a single weld -- mostly because he was unfamiliar with non-pure aluminum. Fortunately, I was there when he tried it and stopped him before he destroyed anything. You will need to make sure everything is VERY CLEAN, and you want to purge it all first, too.

If you wind up doing something like I am, don't skimp on the fabricator. Not worth the risk.

Incidentally, I was able to secure another 3 or 4 spacer kits, but if you want one of them, you'll need to contact me ASAP and get payment in right away; I never anticipated the demand would be what it is, and I'm now going to spend an entire weekend it looks like collating kits and packaging them up for something like 50+ people, including some of the world's fastest Hellcats.

jwalker793, bmeaggie, Speedy -- I'm looking at you guys. This is a no-brainer mod, in my opinion, especially now that I've installed the kit and tested it.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Getting my tank and various other items back from the fabricator today, which means it's FINALLY time to begin the FI interchiller and stage 2 package. Essentially, I had AN-16 bungs welded onto everything I could possibly weld them to so that I can get the highest flow rate possible with the AN-16 hose. There are still I believe 3 fittings where I'll have to step down (16 to 12 female), but for the most part the entire circuit is going to flow through 1" hose.

I'm eager to see if the fabricator was able to weld AN-16 bungs onto the intercooler lines. They pulled it off in Australia, so I challenged my guy here to pull it off, as well. The opening is actually larger than the opening to the intercooler line, so it'll take some pretty good work.

Also, while I'm speaking about this, please note: a few of these welds that I'm having done are pretty tricky, because you're trying to weld to cast aluminum. So make sure you find a fabricator who is skilled at aluminum welding and has the right frequency machinery to get the job done. I first tried a guy who was recommended to me, and he was unable to complete a single weld -- mostly because he was unfamiliar with non-pure aluminum. Fortunately, I was there when he tried it and stopped him before he destroyed anything. You will need to make sure everything is VERY CLEAN, and you want to purge it all first, too.

If you wind up doing something like I am, don't skimp on the fabricator. Not worth the risk.

Incidentally, I was able to secure another 3 or 4 spacer kits, but if you want one of them, you'll need to contact me ASAP and get payment in right away; I never anticipated the demand would be what it is, and I'm now going to spend an entire weekend it looks like collating kits and packaging them up for something like 50+ people, including some of the world's fastest Hellcats.

jwalker793, bmeaggie, Speedy -- I'm looking at you guys. This is a no-brainer mod, in my opinion, especially now that I've installed the kit and tested it.
PM me anytime to discuss further. I’m always interested in furthering my Hellcat obsession. :p

·
HOTM Winner
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #239
I'm working with my mechanic and Kirk from FI to figure out the best way to run the interchiller in the Hellcat. The Trackhawk has more room under the bumper -- as did a 2010 Challenger that they'd previously fitted a chiller to -- so we're making modifications to the kit and learning as we go.

Once we're done, though, we should have the blueprint for how to install, including the Stage 2 upgrade.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Ouch. It sucks that you now have to blaze the trail. Good luck with it.
Maybe do a prelim headcount on who would be in on a group purchase for the interchiller/stage 2 as soon as this development effort is finalized.
With a dozen or more guaranteed sales on the line, things might happen more quickly.

You know that old saying........Money talks and Bull#hit walks.

221 - 240 of 271 Posts