SRT Hellcat Forum banner
41K views 270 replies 40 participants last post by  Frank n beans 
#1 ·
Posting this here for now and will update it as the build progresses. A8. Just ordered the following parts through HHP and Beefcake Racing:

- 2.75 upper
- ATI 10% lower with pin kit and green belt
- Bwoody wide Idler pulley
- KB Boost-a-Pump 17v
- ID 1300 injectors
- DSS aluminum one-piece drive shaft - dampened
- front Strut brace
- Performance differential brace
- HHP 180 tstat

I have a Bwoody Velocity intake installed already and am running a UPR fender-mount catch can and Metco breather w check valves on both.

We only have 91 octane available here, but fortunately I have a good E85 pump down the street from me. Tuning for 91 and E85 @5000 ft elevation, give or take.

I wanted to do remote tuning through HHP, but sadly they don't do remote E85 tunes at the moment. So I'll use a local tuner out of Denver or somewhere a bit north of the city.

Anything else you can think of? Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
Those are some solid mods you are planning to get done. Can't wait to see the progress and outcome. Keep us posted.

SG

Reactions: Kowalski's Ghost
#4 · (Edited)
Baseline Dyno on Dyno Jet yesterday (10/17) showed 700.3 adjusted for altitude. Inflated numbers, of course, but I was running 50 HP higher than most every other Hellcat they've done, and it was their highest reading to date on a (mostly) stock Kitty (Bwoody intake, Metco breather, mini race bullets, UPR catch can, check valves).

With the variances in weather, etc., there's really no way to tell much from these readings, save in comparison to other HCs they've run under similar conditions; but I will say that the techs and my mechanic seemed genuinely surprised and happy with the numbers. We did 2 pulls, with the higher numbers coming on the second pull. The first pull was close, though, at 696.4.

This week the mods go in. The final list (for now), in addition to the intake and racing bullets:

2.75 Metco upper
ATI 10% super damper w Gates belt
Crank pin kit
Bwoody Idler Pulley
KB BAP 17v
ID1300 injectors
Stainless Works catless mid pipes
DSS aluminum one-piece dampened drive shaft
Performance diff brace
Innovate MS boost / ethanol 4-in-1 gauge with ID sensor
180 tstat
Custom 91 and race tune
Separate E85 tune

Still waiting on the strut brace I ordered from Speedlogix in early September. Which is starting to really piss me off.

We're expecting boost to hit around 15-ish on pump gas here at altitude. The real test will come with the ethanol, which I may push off until the spring. For right now we're going to rely on the BAP and the monitoring system once I can run ethanol. But if need be, next summer I'll add the Fore L4 fuel system and a heat exchanger from Bwoody.

#6 ·
Latest update: It is with some reluctance that I write this, but if I'm being honest, I have to -- if only to alert others thinking about a certain tune option that they may run into some issues. How they choose to proceed is up to them.

I bought the custom tune package from a well-known tuner along with the Diablo Trinity and all of the parts needed for my build. My parts have been installed, and my mechanic called to schedule a tune for last Friday so that I could drive the car in its new build form and bring her home to start data logging. He sent in the baseline on Thursday, and we waited. On Friday, the shop had him send the file again, but then Friday came and went and the tuners were busy and never got back to us.

Fast forward to today and it's the same thing. Multiple messages left and the same answers from the shop: The tuners are busy on the Dyno and can't talk, etc. They take my number. The day winds down. No return call.

My mechanic has worked with this shop in the past and I had no reservations about having them do my tunes. In fact, I took the recommendations from this very forum and decided to go with their remote tune package rather than have someone locally do it. But I've been without my car for 2 weeks now, and I just get the feeling that my tune isn't a priority.

I completely understand that the shop may be very busy; after all, they do great work, according to everyone I've spoken with. That said, I did pay more for their tunes than I otherwise might have, yet I'm left without my car and without anyway to get them to respond. Leaving a phone number only works if they call you back. Sending emails only works if they respond to them.

If they are taking on more work than they can handle, I'm happy for their success. Truly. But that doesn't help me much when I'm without my car.

I made arrangements to have the car delivered to me on Friday when the scheduled tune was to be done; but that couldn't happen without undoing some of the mod work once the tune didn't arrive, so I put it off. I made arrangements again to have it delivered today, but now I have the same problem. My mechanic is going to SEMA on Wednesday; at that point it'll be another week before I can get the car back -- just in time to store it for the winter. Plus I've blocked out two days now to be available for my mechanic to deliver the car back to me and there's nothing either of us can do but continue to wait and hope the shop finds time to get back to us.

Today has come and gone and still no returned call or email. My time is valuable, too. At least to me.

I'm a bit frustrated, as you can probably tell. I'm writing this not to bash anyone, but to let others know that turnaround times for tunes may not be as fast as they hope, and that scheduling a tune doesn't mean you'll get one on the day you scheduled it. Or 3 days later, for that matter.

I'm looking forward to having this problem resolved, but I'm also now looking around at different tuners to hedge my bets. My car is E85 ready, so I'm already leaning in a certain direction.

#7 ·
Sorry to hear about the Drama with the tune up.
Hopefully you will get it sorted out with the quickness.

Reactions: Kowalski's Ghost
#9 · (Edited)
UPDATE: So I bit the bullet and went with the fuel drop-in and E85 Flex tune from Injected Engineering. I think it's one of the biggest advances in HC tuning to come along in awhile, using the wideband sensor, alcohol maps, fuel trim, and dual pump drop-ins to handle anything from 91 octane to unleaded race fuel to E85 without swapping out tunes or pulleys.

A preliminary pump gas tune is being installed today; the fuel drop in is on the way; then it's time to move to E85. After the winter, I mean.

#10 ·
Just a quick note to say thanks so much to Curt@injected / Josh@injected. My mechanic, Cody Chapman at Chapman Automotive Performance, was hugely impressed with Curt's work and he told me Curt is one of the best HP tuners he's ever worked with. Cody is also very excited about the Flex Fuel tune, because he thinks going forward he'll be recommending it in a lot of his builds.

My car is back home and running very well. Can't wait to install the pump assembly and Flex tune and get her fully dialed in.

Injected Engineering has been incredibly responsive and professional. Cody and I are both very well insinuated into the performance car world around these parts, and I know a lot of people running standalone ethanol tunes. I'm looking forward to showing off Injected's work and hopefully bringing them a lot more business.

Time to hire additional tuners!

#12 · (Edited)
Can anyone provide a link to a DS safety loop that will fit the A8 with a DSS aluminum 4" one piece? I have the Performance Diff brace on, but I figure for a $100 or so it's better to be safe than sorry

On the advice of my tuner I picked up a 2.65 upper ring. I should be okay with the DSS and brace here it 5000+ feet, but peace of mind is also important to me. With E85 I'm probably looking at about 21 boost psi.

BTW, here's my baseline Dyno. Once the new fuel pump assembly goes in we'll put e85 in and roll it again.

Text Font Paper product Paper

#17 · (Edited)
Okay. So this is as much for me as it is for anyone interested in the build. It's been a whirlwind, and I've learned a ton reading here and following along with the progress others are making! The updated list of mods, taking into account the last-minute switch to the E85 FF tune from Injected Engineering (original plan was to have 3-4 separate tunes done on the Diablo platform):

Metco 2.65 upper (originally 2.75)
Metco breather with check valve
UPR fender-mount catch can with check valve
ATI 10% Super Damper, Gates belt
HHP crank pin kit
Bwoody Idler Pulley
Bwoody Velocity Intake
Bwoody 3.5" Heat Exchanger (new add)
Innovate Motorsports 4-in-1 boost / ethanol gauge (steering column mount) (new add)
SpeedLogix Strut Brace
DSS Aluminum 1-piece drive shaft, dampened
Performance Differential Brace (new add)
Competitive Engineering Drive shaft safety loop. (new add)
Stainless Works catless midpipes (new add)
Dynomax mini racing bullets replacing mid mufflers.
HHP 180 Tstat
Injected Engineering Dual-pump fuel drop-in unit (originally KB BAP 17v)
ID 1300.48 Injectors
Flex Fuel Tune - HP from Curt@Injected Engineering (91 pump / E85 / and points in between) (new add)
Trans Tune - HP from Curt@Injected Engineering (new add)
Moroso extended coolant tank (new add)
Nitto 555R 305/35 20 (set at 29 psi) and Nitto 555R 275/40 20 (new add)

Most of the Engine Dressing comes from American Car Craft and American Brothers Designs.

Mechanical work not done by me was all done by Cody Chapman, Chapman Automotive Performance, Westminster CO.

Depending on how the car runs, I may go to a step colder Brisk 14S plug.

For the track next spring I'll likely pick up a set of Mickey Thompson and either 17 or 18" Weld Wheels. Still not sure if I want to swap to a 3.09 diff. Right now I'm leaning no, but that could change if I'm a tick away from a certain number -- and taking a mondo duke before I run doesn't do the trick.

#18 ·
Okay. So this is as much for me as it is for anyone interested in the build. It's been a whirlwind, and I've learned a ton reading here and following along with the progress others are making! The updated list of mods, taking into account the last-minute switch to the E85 FF tune from Injected Engineering (original plan was to have 3-4 separate tunes done on the Diablo platform):

Metco 2.65 upper (originally 2.75)
Metco breather with check valve
UPR fender-mount catch can with check valve
ATI 10% Super Damper, Gates belt
HHP crank pin kit
Bwoody Idler Pulley
Bwoody Velocity Intake
Bwoody 3.5" Heat Exchanger (new add)
Innovate Motorsports 4-in-1 boost / ethanol gauge (steering column mount) (new add)
SpeedLogix Strut Brace
DSS Aluminum 1-piece drive shaft, dampened
Performance Differential Brace (new add)
Competitive Engineering Drive shaft safety loop. (new add)
Stainless Works catless midpipes (new add)
Dynomax mini racing bullets replacing mid mufflers.
HHP 180 Tstat
Injected Engineering Dual-pump fuel drop-in unit (originally KB BAP 17v)
ID 1300.48 Injectors
Flex Fuel Tune - HP from Curt@Injected Engineering (91 pump / E85 / and points in between) (new add)
Trans Tune - HP from Curt@Injected Engineering (new add)
Moroso extended coolant tank (new add)
Nitto 555R 305/35 20 (set at 29 psi) and Nitto 555R 275/40 20 (new add)

Most of the Engine Dressing comes from American Car Craft and American Brothers Designs.

Mechanical work not done by me was all done by Cody Chapman, Chapman Automotive Performance, Westminster CO.

Depending on how the car runs, I may go to a step colder Brisk 14S plug.

For the track next spring I'll likely pick up a set of Mickey Thompson and either 17 or 18" Weld Wheels. Still not sure if I want to swap to a 3.09 diff. Right now I'm leaning no, but that could change if I'm a tick away from a certain number -- and taking a mondo duke before I run doesn't do the trick.
Very nice build! I would add the 3.09 diff, Bogart/HHP 18” race wheels, and SW headers if you are going to race. Please share performance numbers when available.

#21 ·
As long as it's not snowing, she'll be there!

But don't worry. Still have to put in the dual pump, the 2.65 pulley, the safety loop, and the heat exchanger. I'm on pump gas through Monday ; )

Also? There's no such thing as a "plain Hellcat".

#23 ·
Okay, so this may be of interest to some of you. Feel free to share. Yesterday we added a heat exchanger, the 2.65 pulley, and the dual pump drop in. We also added the Competition Engineering drive shaft safety loop made to clear aftermarket drive shafts that are a little thicker than the OEM shaft. The loop works well on the 4" DSS aluminum drive shaft, but take note: if you have Stainless Works catless midpipes, the size and configuration necessitates some modification to the loop bracket. We had to make some side cutouts on the bracket edges to clear the exhaust properly, then adjust the spacers (we cut them in half) to get proper fitment. Holds firmly, though.

Hope this helps somebody else out.

#26 ·
To anyone who might be visiting this thread: I'm looking for a nice drag wheel and tire set up. I was thinking Race Star Dark Stars 18x5 in the front and 17x10 in the rear with front skinnies and MT ET Street-R 305/45-17 in the rear. With Black Friday sales, I'd be looking at about $2300 with end links, lugs, TPMS. I have a $650 credit from HHP, to boot, so I can probably come in at about $1800 out of pocket.

That being said, I have a guy locally selling his current set-up to move to 15": Race Star Drag Star 18x5 with M&H front skinnies and Hoosier 28x10x17's full slicks in the rear. He's asking $1200. Hoosiers have about 40 passes left in them. Price includes lugs.

Which would you go with? Or would you go with something else entirely? Dyno on Friday and I'm at altitude, but I expect I'll be pushing 900rwhp and I'm running E85.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.