SRT Hellcat Forum banner

2016 Challenger (Manual) TR-6060 Trans Fluid Exchange

11K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  TheRedKey 
#1 ·

Feel free to leave feedback on what I can do better in the future or ask any questions you might have.

#2 ·
Good vid, thanks, but what about draining the cooler, is there a means like there is the engine oil?

#3 ·
Do the manuals have a transmission cooler? That's typically an automatic thing. Usually you can just find a low-pressure hose on the cooler, disconnect it, and point it straight down so gravity gets it out of the hose. For the heat sink itself, if there's no drain plug, I guess it's not easy to get it out of there... But I don't think it matters too much, there can't be THAT much fluid in there.

#4 ·
Hi Joe, I was just looking through some old threads and I found this:

Can I get your thoughts pls? I haven't got under my car yet to change the fluid. Thanks

#5 ·
There’s about 1/2 qt of fluid in the cooler and lines. Only way I know to flush it without making a mess using air is to use fresh new fluid and push it out. When I installed my Transzilla it wants Synchromesh. While the trans cooler lines where off I drilled a hole in one of the qt lids a hair smaller then clear hose that fit on the oil cooler line and pushed the red ATF out until clear Tranzilla Synchromesh came out.
I have a few hoses made up like this for various applications.
Auto part Hose Metal Cable Fuel line

The oil cooler supply and return lines are held in by a hair pin type clip and pull right out easy. This is what the lines look like disconnected
Auto part Hose Metal Cable Fuel line
Auto part Clutch Tire Automotive tire Engine

#6 ·
16gmg, thanks for the pix. I assume I disconnect the lines from the cooler and, where is that cooler located?

#7 ·
No problem
No, no need to disconnect at the oil cooler if you disconnect both lines on the transmission, it’s out from tranny to cooler and return. Just push oil in one line and wait for clean oil to come out the other. Disconnecting them at the cooler not as easy as at the trans and MUCH messier to do. Here’s what they look like at the cooler, there’s no separation in between.
Vehicle Wheel Car Automotive wheel system Auto part

#8 ·
The bottom one is easy to get too, the top one not so much but can be done. You can also just disconnect the bottom one only and use a hand pump like this one from harbor freight and suck it out. I’ve never done it that way but it sure would make it easier if it worked. Let us know how you make out
Tire Automotive tire Tool Pneumatic tool Torch
Auto part Bumper Automotive exterior Wire
Auto part Automotive exhaust Exhaust system Fuel line Pipe
Auto part Gas Metal

#10 ·
Great. Thanks so much for the pix. Agreed, pulling the lines off the cooler is not the way to go. Ive got the HF hand pump I used for the rear axle so its just a matter of picking up atf and getting it done. Thanks again.

#12 ·
So then Ill drain the tranny itself after cracking the top fill bolt, remove lower line and either suck the fluid out or put an air line to it and with low pressure push the rest of the fluid thats in the lines back into the tranny where it will drain. Attach lower line, fill fluid to top, run it through to charge lines and then top off. Sound about right? About 4 qts. I believe?

#14 ·
Thanks for the help as always 16GMG.

#16 ·
Will do. Thats going to be a springtime project when I can get the car out, run it for a bit and get it warmed up. Ive only got 3.7k on the car anyway.

#17 ·
I changed my trans fluid in original trans when I got the car with 7300 miles on it, it was pretty dark. 3000 miles on it and when I changed to the Tranzilla the fluid in the original trans was still like the day I put it in, nice bright red. I’d be curious to know what your old original fluid looks like when you get to changing it.

#18 ·
Ill let you know.

#20 ·
Resurrecting. I have 7300 miles and going to change the fluid to Amsoils ATF Signature Series Multi Veh Synthetic #ATFPK-EA. Anyone have thoughts on this product before I do?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.