SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

My very good friend Lord Hellcat over here in the UK has been helping me with sourcing parts for my 2016 Go Mango 392 SPS.
My body shop has managed to get most of the parts but has asked me if i (and by i, i mean you knowledgeable guys and gals) know who the manufacturer of the original factory paint (2016 code pvp) is.
He has given me 2 colour chips from manufacturers, and there is a tiny difference between them although they are very close. As i like things a certain way i would like to try and get some of the original paint from the original manufacturer.

does anyone know who that is for sure?

thanks

jon

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
8,661 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! I am assuming that you are referring to PCP (Plum Crazy Pearlcoat) when you typed PVP? If so, below is a picture of the actual doorjam sticker with that information.

April

PCPpaintcode.png

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply

No my paint code is PVP which is the code for my Go Mango 2016 Challenger

·
Administrator
Challenger SRT Hellcat
7,634 Posts
Hi Jon
It's possible that there are more variants of that color. His paint supplier should have the info and paint chips for this. If they don't have the chips he may need to do spray outs to find the right color. I can check tomorrow to see it there are multiple variants of that color.
For mine pau granite crystal there are at least 6 variants of the color.
Some paint companies have more variants than others. Another way would be to get a piece scanned to find the proper color. I had to paint part of a car last year and none of the variants were close so they scanned a piece and came up with the color.
Let me know if you want me to. I can check with one or more places tomorrow and get back to you.
They are closed now.

·
NYS President
Challenger SRT Hellcat
9,004 Posts
Hello All

My very good friend Lord Hellcat over here in the UK has been helping me with sourcing parts for my 2016 Go Mango 392 SPS.
My body shop has managed to get most of the parts but has asked me if i (and by i, i mean you knowledgeable guys and gals) know who the manufacturer of the original factory paint (2016 code pvp) is.
He has given me 2 colour chips from manufacturers, and there is a tiny difference between them although they are very close. As i like things a certain way i would like to try and get some of the original paint from the original manufacturer.

does anyone know who that is for sure?

thanks

jon
Good afternoon Jon and welcome to the forum from upstate New York

Lord hellcat has a lot of sweet rides and is very knowledgeable
Hope you have some fun.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the messages, bit of a pretender i know seeing as my Challenger is only a 392 Scat Pack Shaker. But i love it.

To clarify the paint situation, my excellent body shop guy over here in the UK has given me some colour chips for PVP (GoMango) from different manufacturers and there is a slight variation, although one is very close. As its not a total respray i wanted to find out if anyone knew which actual paint manufacturer Brampton used for the 2016 PVP (GoMango) so i can be sure of a match.

Thanks

Jon

·
Administrator
Challenger SRT Hellcat
8,157 Posts
Thanks for the messages, bit of a pretender i know seeing as my Challenger is only a 392 Scat Pack Shaker. But i love it.

To clarify the paint situation, my excellent body shop guy over here in the UK has given me some colour chips for PVP (GoMango) from different manufacturers and there is a slight variation, although one is very close. As its not a total respray i wanted to find out if anyone knew which actual paint manufacturer Brampton used for the 2016 PVP (GoMango) so i can be sure of a match.

Thanks

Jon
I found the following link online. They have an extensive collection of products corresponding to the color codes from different car manufacturers. They have earned quite a decent reputation/credibility across the industry and on various forums.

You could even consider ordering through them directly. Hope it works out for you. Cheers!!!

2016 Dodge Challenger Colors of Touch Up Paint

·
Administrator
Challenger SRT Hellcat
7,634 Posts

Thanks

Jon
Hi Jon I checked with 3 places today one was closed who uses DuPont. The other one didn't call me back yet who uses PPG. And another place uses Valspar and he only has one variant for that color so far, through them. I will check with the other 2 places on Monday.
I seem to remember from the pics of the damage that the left quarter panel had damage. So I am assuming he will be blending in on the quarter panel. The bumper cover will always be off a bit because of the plastic.
Would he be open to doing a spray out card of the color that is the closest. Sometimes those little prepaid paint chips are a bit off. Also a spray out is bigger so easier for the eye to see the difference.
I will check on Monday again as now I'm curious.
Cheers!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Jon I checked with 3 places today one was closed who uses DuPont. The other one didn't call me back yet who uses PPG. And another place uses Valspar and he only has one variant for that color so far, through them. I will check with the other 2 places on Monday.
I seem to remember from the pics of the damage that the left quarter panel had damage. So I am assuming he will be blending in on the quarter panel. The bumper cover will always be off a bit because of the plastic.
Would he be open to doing a spray out card of the color that is the closest. Sometimes those little prepaid paint chips are a bit off. Also a spray out is bigger so easier for the eye to see the difference.
Cheers!
Thank you my friend. That's very kind of you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers!
Hey Jim

By any chance, did you hear back from those 2 places you mentioned? Just want to make sure I can check all the options for the bumper spray before I choose a colour.
Thanks.
Jon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
Challenger SRT Hellcat
7,634 Posts
Hey Jim

By any chance, did you hear back from those 2 places you mentioned? Just want to make sure I can check all the options for the bumper spray before I choose a colour.
Thanks.
Jon

Hello Jon
It appears that both places only have a prime color also for your color. Meaning there are no variants. possibly yet as it is a new color. I drove to one of the places and checked with the owner. He suggested trying as spray out card for the closest color as the chips are hard to tell being small. None of us know who dodge uses as a supplier this year.
Both body shops mix their own paint so they do a spray out of the closest color and adjust the color and air pressure they spray at till they get it close as possible. At least by doing a spray out card you will get a better idea what the color will look like on the car. As opposed to relying on a color chip from a book or a chip deck. Sorry not much more help. Just remember that the plastic bumpers tend to come out a little different due to the plastic. Some colors show more of a difference than others. My granite crystal being one that shows quite a bit in certain light.
Good luck and please let me know how it turns out.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello Jon
It appears that both places only have a prime color also for your color. Meaning there are no variants. possibly yet as it is a new color. I drove to one of the places and checked with the owner. He suggested trying as spray out card for the closest color as the chips are hard to tell being small. None of us know who dodge uses as a supplier this year.
Both body shops mix their own paint so they do a spray out of the closest color and adjust the color and air pressure they spray at till they get it close as possible. At least by doing a spray out card you will get a better idea what the color will look like on the car. As opposed to relying on a color chip from a book or a chip deck. Sorry not much more help. Just remember that the plastic bumpers tend to come out a little different due to the plastic. Some colors show more of a difference than others. My granite crystal being one that shows quite a bit in certain light.
Good luck and please let me know how it turns out.
Jim.

My friend I cannot thank you enough. You have truly gone above and beyond. I will let you know how we get on when I finally get the new bumper over here

Thanks
Jon

·
Administrator
Challenger SRT Hellcat
7,634 Posts
Jim.

My friend I cannot thank you enough. You have truly gone above and beyond. I will let you know how we get on when I finally get the new bumper over here

Thanks
Jon

Hey Jon not a problem. I just wish there was something clearer to help you out.
If you think I can help you out with something just let me know.
Hope you get back in that beautiful Scat pack soon.
Take care
Jim

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Jon not a problem. I just wish there was something clearer to help you out.
If you think I can help you out with something just let me know.
Hope you get back in that beautiful Scat pack soon.
Take care
Jim
Hey Jim.
Hope you are well. Have managed to pick up 2 small stone chips on my roof of the Go Mango Challenger (2016). Over here in the U.K. It's difficult to get hold of a touch up pen. Can you point me to anywhere I can look online or recommend brands for sale in the states so I can get it shipped to me
Thanks
Jon

·
Administrator
Challenger SRT Hellcat
7,634 Posts
Hi Jon
I just did a quick search on Google. There are a few places on there. I did notice paintscratch.com as an example. They have a paint pen kit which includes a clear coat pen. So that would be something I would look for. You can also get them from the dealers but they are inconsistent as sometimes they have clear others they don't
I usually just get my paint guy to make me a touch up bottle of both. And either use a needle, tooth pick or very fine model paint brush.
Seeing as I'm in Canada the shipping equalizes the price. Plus by having it made you might get a better match. Also remember that with all the mettalics and pearls in your color it likely won't match in a small touch up. As the mettalics won't lay properly and give it a different effect. More likely darker a bit just so you are prepared for that. Hope this long rant helps you some.
Good luck and take care
Jim

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Jon
I just did a quick search on Google. There are a few places on there. I did notice paintscratch.com as an example. They have a paint pen kit which includes a clear coat pen. So that would be something I would look for. You can also get them from the dealers but they are inconsistent as sometimes they have clear others they don't
I usually just get my paint guy to make me a touch up bottle of both. And either use a needle, tooth pick or very fine model paint brush.
Seeing as I'm in Canada the shipping equalizes the price. Plus by having it made you might get a better match. Also remember that with all the mettalics and pearls in your color it likely won't match in a small touch up. As the mettalics won't lay properly and give it a different effect. More likely darker a bit just so you are prepared for that. Hope this long rant helps you some.
Good luck and take care
Jim
Thanks for the info Jim. I think I'll get my body shop guy to mix me some up

·
Administrator
Challenger SRT Hellcat
7,634 Posts
Thanks for the info Jim. I think I'll get my body shop guy to mix me some up

That would probably be the easiest for you and you can practice with various ways to apply it on a piece of metal till you are comfortable with doing it on your car. Don't forget to get a clear coat also.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts