SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,471 Posts
I had a real T/A 6.6 from 1978 last car I ordered custom before the Hellcat! It was WS6, 4SP, no flipping bird on the hood and it was gold. Little known fact was to take the former high compression heads from a 400 or 389. They would bolt right on the smog pumps and raise the compression back up! We took a set off of something that had three 2-bbl carbs, just cleaned them, had to screw around a bit with the valve settings, changed the manifold, carb, headers, otherwise it was stock to the amazed Corvette owners of the time. We never tested or dyno'ed it back then, but to my butt it felt like 300-400hp. It hardly got passed that I remember and finally needed an upgraded clutch and linkage, otherwise it would smoke them large in first gear and just held itself at 6 grand. The people that purchased it when I had to sell it to get serious about college had no idea what they had and drove it away in 2nd gear as a tear came to my eye.

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a real T/A 6.6 from 1978 last car I ordered custom before the Hellcat! It was WS6, 4SP, no flipping bird on the hood and it was gold. Little known fact was to take the former high compression heads from a 400 or 389. They would bolt right on the smog pumps and raise the compression back up! We took a set off of something that had three 2-bbl carbs, just cleaned them, had to screw around a bit with the valve settings, changed the manifold, carb, headers, otherwise it was stock to the amazed Corvette owners of the time. We never tested or dyno'ed it back then, but to my butt it felt like 300-400hp. It hardly got passed that I remember and finally needed an upgraded clutch and linkage, otherwise it would smoke them large in first gear and just held itself at 6 grand. The people that purchased it when I had to sell it to get serious about college had no idea what they had and drove it away in 2nd gear as a tear came to my eye.
Probably a dumb question, but do you wish you still had it? Sounds like a pretty mean machine.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
84 Posts
no doubt all 77 will sell with ease, as there are plenty of folks who will buy it for the sake of owning a limited edition; doesn't do much for me as stated above, its nothing more than a fancy kit car.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,379 Posts
Interested to see more on 7.4L SC specs.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,765 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,309 Posts
They've been trying to push Trans Am versions of the Camaro since it debuted again in 2010, and all have failed. This is another failure.

There will be 77 people dumb enough to drop the money on one of those rolling abortions, but they aren't going to be worth squat in 20 years.

"Oh, you have a Camaro with a body kit, and you want HOW much for it???"

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,379 Posts
They've been trying to push Trans Am versions of the Camaro since it debuted again in 2010, and all have failed. This is another failure.

There will be 77 people dumb enough to drop the money on one of those rolling abortions, but they aren't going to be worth squat in 20 years.

"Oh, you have a Camaro with a body kit, and you want HOW much for it???"
Dont recall seeing a 7.4 sc in 1 before, but dont follow GM either.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
21 Posts
I still have my 79 Trans Am WS6 4Speed, 400Ci
Nocturn Blue, Black Interior.
Here is a picture beside her siblings, and yes that is another two TA's both manuals
Love that old car, had it longer than the wife "LOL" and Eats clutches and rear tires, reminds me of the HellCat.
The Toxic Orange 392 is no longer with me, now the B5 Hellcat has taken its place.
Will takes some more pics this year with the fleet.
image001.png

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I still have my 79 Trans Am WS6 4Speed, 400Ci
Nocturn Blue, Black Interior.
Here is a picture beside her siblings, and yes that is another two TA's both manuals
Love that old car, had it longer than the wife "LOL" and Eats clutches and rear tires, reminds me of the HellCat.
The Toxic Orange 392 is no longer with me, now the B5 Hellcat has taken its place.
Will takes some more pics this year with the fleet.
View attachment 38357
That 79 Trans Am is definitely my favorite in that picture. Pretty cool man!

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Pure awesome. Thanks! I have a vintage 2012 Hyundai I will trade you straight up for that TA. Gets great gas mileage...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts