SRT Hellcat Forum banner

2017 Destroyer Gray Charger 900whp E85 Build

21K views 61 replies 25 participants last post by  Marooniac 
#1 · (Edited)
EDITS 1/30/2018: Original title said “Modest” build. Although things started out that way, there is nothing modest about the change in direction that soon followed. :oops:

Also 1/30/2018 posted images of fun 900whp performance numbers! :D

I took it very easy on this one... other than the tires, I only did things I could handle by myself in my own driveway. Just finished it yesterday.

Have not been to a track or dyno shop yet. So I don't have any performance numbers to share at this time.

I started with a brand new stock 2017 Destroyer Gray Charger Hellcat with Dual Carbon Stripes and flat black 5 spoke Hellcat wheels. She's got black leather/suede interior and the HK sound package.

I installed every mod (except tires) by myself at home. So if anyone has a question about any of these installs, please ask!

Here's the mod list with vendors from whom I purchased:
  • Nitto 555g's 275/35/20 up front (Discount Tire Direct)
  • Nitto 555r's 305/35/20 out back (Discount Tire Direct)
  • Metco Crank Breather (Metco)
  • JLT Catch Can (Summitt)
  • JBA Catless Midpipes (HHP)
  • Mishimoto 180 deg t-stat (HHP)
  • Legmaker Cold Air Intake (HHP)
  • Modern Muscle 95mm Polished Ported Throttle Body (Modern Muscle)
  • Carbon Fiber Exhaust Tips (eBay - Chinese knockoffs!)
  • Diablosport Trinity Tuner and Unlocked ECU (HHP)
  • Custom 93 Octane Performance Tune for above mods (HHP)
And some pics...

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Hood
Vehicle Engine Auto part Car Hood
Engine Auto part Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle
Alloy wheel Wheel Rim Tire Black
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Rim
Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Car Auto part

See less See more
#2 ·
I took it very easy on this one... other than the tires, I only did things I could handle by myself in my own driveway. Just finished it yesterday.

Have not been to a track or dyno shop yet. So I don't have any performance numbers to share at this time.

I started with a brand new stock 2017 Destroyer Gray Charger Hellcat with Dual Carbon Stripes and flat black 5 spoke Hellcat wheels. She's got black leather/suede interior and the HK sound package.

I installed every mod (except tires) by myself at home. So if anyone has a question about any of these installs, please ask!

And some pics...

View attachment 266769 View attachment 266777 View attachment 266785 View attachment 266793 View attachment 266801 View attachment 266809
Thanks for the pics; looks sharp!

#4 · (Edited)
The car definitely feels faster, sharper, crispier on throttle. I noticed this after installing the tune vs. running the mods by themselves before tuning.

Car sounds great too. Supercharger tone with the breathing mods and the exhaust growl with the JBA's get an A+ in my book.

Have not been to a track or dyno shop yet. So I don't have any performance numbers to share at this time. I plan to get to a track soon to at least see what kind of times I get once I launch consistently. I'm not sure if there is any benefit to paying for dyno time or not without a baseline.

Hoping these mods with HHP's tune got me to around 700whp. I'd be just fine with that.

Reactions: Linda's Hell Cat
#7 ·
very nice car and love the color!
Thanks man.

I really like your intake. It sounds magnificent and looks fantastic.

In fact, I like the way it looks so much, I don't want to put the rain shield on and cover any of it up!:)

#8 ·
Update on this build for anyone who might want to know, I had the car on a Dynojet that usually measure around 640whp for a stock cat, and this build as described above put down just over 700whp. This is was on 93 octane gas from the pump. :D

So here is a way to get over 700whp at stock boost on 93 pump gas with only an email tune and simple bolt-ons you can do in your own driveway. :)

#12 · (Edited)
Yes I did have the pre-filter on there. Didn't even occur to me to remove it. Thanks for pointing that out. Future dyno sessions I will take it off.

#15 ·
Same dynojet, but different day with the new hardware when weather was much warmer and waaaay more humid, she put down...
  • 785whp on 93 from pump
  • 885whp on e85 from pump
The air was disgusting in Houston that day. I have no doubt that both those numbers go up another 20+whp with dry cool air.

Thursday next week I'm stopping back by the shop on my way to the Texas Mile and we plan to tune for Ignite's "114" fuel. It's a higher octane e90 race fuel from Ignite. I am very interested to see what she lays down with that stuff.

#13 ·
Looks good! How was the install of the exhaust tips? I've toyed with the idea of getting something different but wasn't sure how the oem ones remove and if you just bolt up the new ones. I had new tips welded on my last car but was a couple hundred bucks just to install them but did look nice.

#16 ·
The are held on our cars with clamps tightened down by one bolt, maybe a 13mm? You just need a socket wrench. Very easy to change them up. Put thoughts of welding out of your head! :p

Reactions: GOMER and cleankat
#18 ·
bmeaggie... Nice numbers. Any fuel system additions besides the 1300 injectors?
Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump. You need that too.

FYI we even tried out another brand of pump that is commonly used with Vettes (I forget which) to see how it did, and it couldn't keep up like the KB.

#19 ·

And some pics...

View attachment 266769 View attachment 266777 View attachment 266785 View attachment 266793 View attachment 266801 View attachment 266809
nice car:cool::cool:

#20 ·
Thanks. You can see by my current signature, this first build stage didn’t keep my satisfied for long. If you catch the modding bug, it’s relentless! :eek:

#23 ·
nice modes in signature but you miss 3.09 LSD gear which will push your beast more.
So... I almost had my shop do rear end swap, but I’m about to do a standing mile event and am unsure of the impact the lower geared rear diff would have on the upper end performance.

Seems like picking up maybe 1-2/10 sec in the 1/4 but loosing even more than that on the top...

Any thoughts?

#25 ·
That’s great man. Thank you. I’m happy to share all I possibly can.

I really need to post an updated gallery of pics soon.

I can organize the build in 2 stages... Stage I (Stock Boost)... and Stage II (18psi).

Tuning for the Ignite 114 race fuel on Thursday is my last planned step.

#26 ·
Ok... I got the itch yesterday and found a drag strip about an hour south of Dallas that was having open racing. So I changed out my rear wheels and headed to Cedar Creek Texas where there is a 1/8 Mile drag strip.

Wheels: Bravado Tribute 18x10 +20mm offset
Tires: MT ET Street R 305/45/20
Fuel: E85 that was really more like E68 according to my on-board gauge

First off I had to learn how to launch with 200 more whp that I used to have. That took some time. I finally started to get close to the 6’s, and eventually got my best run of the night: 6.75 ET, 1.53 60’, at 103mph.

I still spun some on that launch and had to back off the gas for a breif moment; so I know there is more on the table with this setup.

At the end of the night I also had a new “best” 0-60 on my dash of 2.6.

See attached images.
Text Paper Paper product

Speedometer Gauge Vehicle Car Tachometer

#27 ·
Relevant to this build story....

So now with car complete went back to a prepped 1/8 Mile track in Denton, TX last night.

My best run of the night and new PB with this 900whp setup is attached.... 6.528 @ 109.76mph.

For contrast, my PB at 700whp was 7.38 @ about 98 mph.

Text Font Paper Document Handwriting

#32 ·
Sorry just noticed this question. Nope, only running pump e85 so far. I do want to tune for the Ignite to see how much more power I can make, but it seems like every time I try to arrange dyno time, having my tuner available remote, picking up 15gal of the Ignite, one of those three things doesn’t work out. :confused:

Reactions: Kowalski's Ghost
#33 ·

And some pics...

I'm huge fan of the Destroyer Gray, When I do get another Hellcat, Jeep, demon or high powered Dodge, That will be my color of choice. Excellent looking car

#34 ·
Thank you! Color is a little different, but it has really grown on me.

#35 ·
Nice car! My wife has the destroyer grey Challenger HC and we both love the color. Are you running 18 psi on 93 octane? If so, how is it running with it that high?

#36 ·
On occasion I run pump 93. Car runs just fine on it at 18psi. However, as long as I can find an e85 pump, that’s what goes in my car.

Less timing making 100 fewer ponies at the wheels with 93 as well. 800whp in 93; 900whp on e85.

Also, with catless midpipes, the smell is way better with e85. Gas just plain stinks like all hell. :D

#37 ·
Holy cow man, I did not realize you were at 800 at the wheels. This is the route I was planning on going eventually. Had great luck with KB Boost-a-Pump on the GTO and would never use anything else. Can't get E-anything out here, or even 93 octane, so part of me is saying why even bother. Jealous of your set up!

LR

#38 ·
Holy cow man, I did not realize you were at 800 at the wheels. This is the route I was planning on going eventually. Had great luck with KB Boost-a-Pump on the GTO and would never use anything else. Can't get E-anything out here, or even 93 octane, so part of me is saying why even bother. Jealous of your set up!

LR
Thanks buddy. I was surprised at 800whp on 93 pump gas as well. :eek:

I mostly use the e85 tune, but the times I have driven aggressively on the 93 tune, performance has been spot-on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.