SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys - so i bought me some Kooks headers with the connection pipes thru Jeggs (1,300$ w/tax) and i thought well i will need a Tune because its gonna run lean,i will spend the extra 500$ on the tune here in Miami,BUT OHH NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

FIRST: YOU NEED TO UNLOCK THE PCM SINCE FROM 2015 THEY COME LOCKED(SO NO TUNE)
YOU CAN TAKE IT OFF AND SEND IT TO HP TUNERS OR DIABLO SPORT,FOR UNLOCKING THAT'S LIKE 300$,BUT I DIDN'T WANT TO UNLOCK MINE BECAUSE OF THE VOID IN THE WARRANTY.
SO I DECIDED TO BUY AN UNLOCKED ONE FORM HP TUNERS ( 778$ W/TAX). I ASKED THRU FACEBOOK MESSENGER IF I NEEDED SOMETHING ELSE BECAUSE I READ ON THEY'RE PAGE YOU NEEDED SOME HPT FILE FROM THE CAR, SO WHEN I ASKED WHAT WAS THAT, THEY SAID THAT I DIDN'T NEEDED,
JUST ORDER THE CORRECT MODEL FROM THE WEBPAGE THEY SAID .
SO I WENT TO THEIR WEBPAGE FROM THE DROP DOWN PART I SELECTED
2018 -2019 DODGE CHALLENGER HELLCAT 6.2,RED EYE,DEMON BLA BLA BLA. AND ORDER IT.
I GOT AN EMAIL SAYING THAT I NEEDED THIS CABLE CALLED SMART CONNECT,FOR ME TO READ THE FILE SO THAT WAS 140$ (NEXT DAY DELIVERY).
SO THE CABLE GETS HERE ( THERE ARE SOME INSTRUCTIONS PRINTED) BUT NOT THE FU....^%^%$^& LOCATION OF THIS CABLE TO PLUG IT IN.

SO I CALLED LIKE 12 TIMES NO ANSWER FROM HP TUNERS, TURNS OUT FROM FINDING A FREAKING VIDEO ON YOUTUBE ON A 392 SCAT PACK THE GUY SAID IT WAS UNDER THE RADIO
SO I LOOKED CRAMMED MY HAND IN THERE FINALLY INSTALLED THE CABLE
PLUGGED IN THE HP TUNER SOFTWARE DOWNLOADED THE HPT FILE AND SEND IT TO THEM SO THEY CAN DO THEIR THING.
AND UNINSTALLED THE CABLE.

SO I CALLED TO CONFIRM THEY GOT THE FILE AND THAT I PAID 2 DAY DELIVERY (THEY CONFIRMED EVERYTHING) SO THAT WAS COOL.
AND THE NICE GUY TELLS ME "YOU NEED TO LEAVE THE CABLE THERE BECAUSE ONCE YOU GET THE PCM IF THE CABLE IS NOT THERE THE TUNER CANNOT WRITE TO IT :mad: SO I HAD TO TAKE THE WHOLE FREAKING THING OFF AGAIN.

THE THING IS ----WHY DON'T THEY EXPLAIN ALL THIS ?

1. YOU NEED A CABLE TO READ AND DOWNLOAD THE HPT FILE SINCE FROM 2015 THEY COME LOCKED ,BUT SINCE 2018 YOU NEED THIS CABLE.

2. THE LOCATION OMG THE LOCATION IMAGINE WORKING OUTSIDE AT 3PM IN THE FLORIDA SUN AND HUMIDITY.

3. YOU NEED TO LEAVE THE CABLE THERE FOR THE TUNING

ITS BULL CRAP THAT YOU BUY A CAR AND YOU NEED ALL THIS STUFF TO FREAKING TUNE IT.

SORRY GUYS I HOPE THIS GUIDES SOME OF YOU THAT HAVE A 2019 HELLCAT AND YOU WANNA TUNE IT .
EASY: BUY THE SMART CABLE FIND WHERE YOUR CAR HAS IT (PLEAS LEAVE IT INSTALLED).DOWNLOAD THE FILE, ORDER THE PCM ATTACHING THE HPT AND YOU ARE DONE o_O

-----SO MY EXPENSE CAME TO 1300 HEADERS,778 PCM,150 SMART CABLE ONE DAY SHIPPING,450 TUNE.
EQUALS: 2678$

HOPE YOU ENJOY CHANGING HEADERS ;)

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
I bought the bypass module ( little black box from zautomotive) . I installed that and left it there so now I just plug into the factory diagnostic port to do all my tuning and logging .

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
434 Posts
Headers will void your warranty, an unlocked pcm swap will void your warranty as well. It appears you dove in before testing the water, so to speak. Dodge doesn’t make it easy to scam warranty work, nor should they. Sorry for being blunt, hope you got it all worked out. In the future, there’s a ton of info on the forums before diving in ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
180 Posts
On a
...so i bought me some Kooks headers...and i thought well i will need a Tune...
I didn't think a tune was need for headers and exhaust by themselves. I've checked a couple of different forums and I've seen "no tune required" a couple of times. Is that not true? I hope it's not because I'd really like to throw on some headers and maybe a Corsa exhaust, but I don't want to tune if I don't have to (mainly for reasons mentioned in the OP).

·
Registered
396 Posts
The only thing you do not need a tune for is a Catch can and maybe the new 3:17 supercharger pulley. The jury is not fully out on the pulley.Oh! most after market exhaust systems are working fine without a tune.. They are going to know that your original computer is not in the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On a

I didn't think a tune was need for headers and exhaust by themselves. I've checked a couple of different forums and I've seen "no tune required" a couple of times. Is that not true? I hope it's not because I'd really like to throw on some headers and maybe a Corsa exhaust, but I don't want to tune if I don't have to (mainly for reasons mentioned in the OP).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You DO need a tune,YOUR CAR IS GOING TO BE RUNNING LEAN, and you will get the check engine like after 40 miles

·
Registered
51 Posts
the computer compensates to a point if you go catless you need to delete codes if you are dynoing post up your numbers before the tune as in without adding timing or messing with torque management to see how much the headers make as im curious

·
Registered
179 Posts
I love the power and sound from my Redeye right out of the box. What kind of performance gains are the headers and tune going to give you.
I second this. I had fully planned on doing some exhaust mods if for nothing else just to give it a little more sound. I test drove a HC, but not the Redeye prior to ordering. I'm still shocked at how loud the car is in factory form. Maybe it's the larger supercharger, maybe it's the 3.09 gear, maybe Dodge did a little something different for the Redeye. Definitely has that throaty, muscle car sound right from the factory and loud when you get further into the go pedal.

As far as power, I'm still breaking it in, but it's clearly more than the OEM tires can handle. IMHO, tires are the first weak link that needs to be solved on one of these cars.

To the OP: FYI, your caps lock is stuck on. Might want to tune that too. o_O

·
Registered
51 Posts
I dont disagree i would think headers may help higher up on the hp scale . I started mine with the headers open and the trims pegged at 32 percent positive because there was opening right past the sensor i seen this happen on turbo cars with the wideband near the end of the tailpipe .

·
Registered
578 Posts
The lower restriction of the headers may also lower the boost so you may also need a smaller pulley to get back to stock boost levels.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The lower restriction of the headers may also lower the boost so you may also need a smaller pulley to get back to stock boost levels.
this is known as boost stacking boost is a measure of restriction there's a balance of restriction cam profile and some others come into play just cause it reads lower on the gauge dont mean much you are not losing power

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
this is known as boost stacking boost is a measure of restriction there's a balance of restriction cam profile and some others come into play just cause it reads lower on the gauge dont mean much you are not losing power
I agree with this . I installed a demon camshaft and catless mid pipes and I lost about 1-1.5 psi of boost but I'm definitely a lot faster then I was . The more efficient you can make your engine the more power it will make .

·
Registered
578 Posts
I agree with this . I installed a demon camshaft and catless mid pipes and I lost about 1-1.5 psi of boost but I'm definitely a lot faster then I was . The more efficient you can make your engine the more power it will make .

All the more reason to add back the lost boost.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Its not lost its not less your pushing the same amount of air in the engine . The restriction makes the boost number look higher and yes raise it will make more power . I will tell you this i build buick v6 turbos everyone ask how much boost can i run it depends on alot of variables 17 lbs on a stock engine with stock cam is not the same as 17 on a aftermarket head and cam , so boost is a measure of restriction you change the cam or something that alters air flow or back pressure it will change .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts