SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I own a 2019 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat in F8 green which i picked up brand new off the dealer lot. Not long I noticed, that from a standstill, or while parking/turning at slow speed the wheel doesnt fully turn, it turns to 315 degrees or so and then when you release the brake it then does turn to its full limit. its like the wheel cant be fully turned because it gets jammed. It only get unstuck when you press the gas pedal and then it lets you turn it fully to its limit. I know i have the hydraulic steering and the fluid levels are correct!

Thanks in advance, id appreciate if you guys could let me know if you have experienced this or if this ir normal or an issue, dealer has no idea...

·
Registered
2016 Bright White Challenger
825 Posts
Hi, I own a 2019 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat in F8 green which i picked up brand new off the dealer lot. Not long I noticed, that from a standstill, or while parking/turning at slow speed the wheel doesnt fully turn, it turns to 315 degrees or so and then when you release the brake it then does turn to its full limit. its like the wheel cant be fully turned because it gets jammed. It only get unstuck when you press the gas pedal and then it lets you turn it fully to its limit. I know i have the hydraulic steering and the fluid levels are correct!

Thanks in advance, id appreciate if you guys could let me know if you have experienced this or if this ir normal or an issue, dealer has no idea...
you're trying to rotate a sticky tire to full lock with out any forward or backward movement, this happens on all cars..

why would you want to fully lock your wheels left or right when the car isn't moving...?

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
755 Posts
Believe your car has a steering rack like mine.

I would get it on a rack and visually inspect everything and see how the steering acts while turning lock to lock. You can test by turning the steering wheel with the engine off and then engine running.

Make sure you move the wheels lock to lock by hand at one of the wheels to see how it feels/acts and do the same with the engine running. The rack may be binding somehow.

Let us know.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Imagine you are coming out of a tight parallel parking where you need to have your tires rotated without movement forward or backward to start coming out
Gotcha, I think your car being newer has electronically powered steering, not sure how that works but I imagine its only going to be as powerful as the current powering it. I have a 16 which works off the belt I believe, so as long as my car is idling the wheels will move where I want.

Might just be a weak power steering pump because of the way its powered. Hopefully more 18+ owners comment with ideas because I cant test or help you, my car is ancient.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have visually inspected it while another person turned the steering wheel full lock in both sides and it happens to operate normally but when you apply throttle it gives you the extra turning radius. so the problem is still there...

By the way my car is a 2019 charger hellcat and it had the Hydraulic Steering system because I can't set up different steering mode in the SRT Pages.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
755 Posts
I have visually inspected it while another person turned the steering wheel full lock in both sides and it happens to operate normally but when you apply throttle it gives you the extra turning radius. so the problem is still there...

By the way my car is a 2019 charger hellcat and it had the Hydraulic Steering system because I can't set up different steering mode in the SRT Pages.
I would check Power Steering Pump Pressure. If OK, I would say it's a Rack Problem...

·
Registered
825 Posts

If that's the case you could have a small air leak, low on fluid or just a weak rack that needs some attention.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,386 Posts

My 2018 Challenger Hellcat never manifested any reluctance to turn the wheels full lock at any time I tried this. 'course, this was very low speed when turning sharply to pull into a parking space or when pulling out of a parking space.

I will add that when I got my 2020 Scat Pack with its electric power steering I realized just how "heavy" and how much effort it took to turn the Hellcat steering wheel at low speed. It was almost like there was no power steering.

A "test" of the steering system is to on an empty parking lot at slow speed made a u-turn. As the turn completes release the wheel and let it come to "center". Note its position. Do this u-turn business several times in both directions. A wheel that does not return to the same position after every u-turn can be a sign the steering is goofy. I had a car ('96 Mustang) that "failed" this test and the dealer replaced the rack.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
223 Posts
I’ve had three hellcats,2015 ,2016,2019,they all have had this issue,it seem to be pump issue not putting out enough pressure,never had it looked it would require high pressure test gauge and didn’t want car messed with as low speed is only time it happens.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,341 Posts
This indicates all 2019 Hellcats have electric powered steering. OP let’s see a picture under the hood now.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,149 Posts
This indicates all 2019 Hellcats have electric powered steering. OP let’s see a picture under the hood now.

View attachment 572444
My 2015 HC had hydraulic steering, but I agree with above....I thought all Hellcats switched to electric steering back in '18 or so....

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
6,982 Posts
In 2018 the Demon and Widebody went electric.

In 2019 all Hellcat Challengers had electric.

In 2020 the Charger finally got it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,149 Posts
In 2018 the Demon and Widebody went electric.

In 2019 all Hellcat Challengers had electric.

In 2020 the Charger finally got it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Thx, never knew that! Just when you think you've kept up with most of that stuff over the years....

·
Registered
In The Market
1,236 Posts
Think the jury is still out on electric power steering. Noticed a mild anomaly when backing from driveway cold engine. Not sure how to describe it. Minor. Never at speed or on highway.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,341 Posts
I really like the electric steering. It hauls around my sticky 325/30’s no problem, even when mostly stopped. I do try to move around a little while rotating out of parking spots, to help however. If any of you are having problems, you should take them in.

·
FCA Official
Challenger SRT Hellcat
276 Posts

I have a 2019 Redeye and I have the same issues when I'm making a tight slow turn out of my drive way.
Hi Spallenger, Detroitmuscle and other forum members experiencing this concern. Please follow up with us via PM with your VIN, dealer information, and the date of your most recent dealer visit for this concern. We are happy to help.

Rob
Dodge Cares

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
269 Posts
So anyone find a solution? I have a 2018, and noticed this for a while. It sorta gets stuck, but only in 1 direction at very slow speeds from lock to lock.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts