SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
Challenger SRT 392
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to put hood pin kit on my 2020 HC. Not hear to debate this.
Just wondering from those of you that have them.
If you took delivery of a new car today that has hood pins would they have been installed at the factory, or at the dealer?

Thanks for you time,
Varooom
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

· Registered
7 Posts
When I purchased my Hellcat it came with hoodpins. I'm 99% sure the dealer installed them even though it was on the window sticker. They did a decent job of installing them, but I found metal shavings in my air filter box from when they cut the holes for the pins. The metal shavings could be heard inside the hood air intake scopes as well. I worked for hours trying to clean out the shavings, not only from the air filter box, but also from my hood scopes. Bottom line, if the dealer does it for you, I would warn you about the issue I ran into.

· Premium Member
2021 Black Widebody Challenger Redeye
3,276 Posts
I have pics from when my car arrived at dealer on truck, pins were already installed. Factory upfitter installs pins, dealer installs lanyards. I had a bunch of metal shavings in my airbox as well, just blew everything out the best I could with air hose.
This was one option I was up in the air about, but I'm so glad I did it.

· Registered
Challenger SRT 392
9,314 Posts
That's unbelievable about metal shavings, what a crappy job by the Upfitter, can't believe FCA would happy to hear about that. And maybe that's why they've restricted the hood pins now on some models, too much rushing so they're scaling back.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
3,276 Posts
I think alot gets trapped inside the hood panel, then works its way out over time, wind, vibrations etc. I noticed it on my air filter at about 500 miles, once I figured out where it had come from it was no big deal, Just blew it out. Actually this just reminded me to check it again, I'm at 850 miles now, wonder if there's more that worked its way out.

· Registered
15 Posts
When I purchased my Hellcat it came with hoodpins. I'm 99% sure the dealer installed them even though it was on the window sticker. They did a decent job of installing them, but I found metal shavings in my air filter box from when they cut the holes for the pins. The metal shavings could be heard inside the hood air intake scopes as well. I worked for hours trying to clean out the shavings, not only from the air filter box, but also from my hood scopes. Bottom line, if the dealer does it for you, I would warn you about the issue I ran into. View attachment 576426
Have you had any issues with the connecting cord/chain causing paint damage? Had a auto shop say the flapping of cord when going fast can cause damage and think I do have a weird indent on paint next to the connecting to hood pin :(

· Premium Member
3,276 Posts
I haven't, they can be adjusted under the hood if you need more or less play in the cord. Just have to drill another hole. Or you could take the cords off & just leave the pins in. Mine don't move much when driving but I'm keeping an eye on them.

· Registered
2019 Challenger Hellcat Widebody (destroyer grey)
648 Posts
When I purchased my Hellcat it came with hoodpins. I'm 99% sure the dealer installed them even though it was on the window sticker. They did a decent job of installing them, but I found metal shavings in my air filter box from when they cut the holes for the pins. The metal shavings could be heard inside the hood air intake scopes as well. I worked for hours trying to clean out the shavings, not only from the air filter box, but also from my hood scopes. Bottom line, if the dealer does it for you, I would warn you about the issue I ran into. View attachment 576426
Same shaving were found in mine as well. When I first saw them, I was like wtf are these shavings from? Then I realized it was aluminum and I pulled the rubber back from the hood pin and saw a few of the same pieces.

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
1,386 Posts
I had FCA replace my filter under warranty for shavings in the pleats. It was a 6 month battle. I factory optioned my car with them when I placed the order.

· Registered
35 Posts
I have noticed these hood pins online. I understand they give a mad max sort of vibe (at least to me), but do they serve any other purpose ? other than being aesthetically pleasing
Bingo, this is the magic question.

my Redeye doesn’t have them but my hood has never moved at high speeds.
Has these pins actually stoped anyone’s hood from opening?
I don’t mean to cause the debate..

· Registered
Challenger SRT 392
9,314 Posts
I have noticed these hood pins online. I understand they give a mad max sort of vibe (at least to me), but do they serve any other purpose ? other than being aesthetically pleasing
I believe Anderson says they are required when you run one of their carbon fiber hoods.

With the stock aluminum hood it would just be an extra measure of safety.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
30 Posts
I have decided to put hood pin kit on my 2020 HC. Not hear to debate this.
Just wondering from those of you that have them.
If you took delivery of a new car today that has hood pins would they have been installed at the factory, or at the dealer?

Thanks for you time,
Varooom View attachment 576425
Hi, mine were factory installed when I built my HC, it’s my 2nd Cat and they definitely make a more aggressive look.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.