SRT Hellcat Forum banner

2020 Charger Hellcat Died while driving

3K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  Xylander 
#1 ·
Hows it going,

Im faced with a problem that I cant seem to figure out, Ive searched the forum for answers but I cant seem to find a similar problem. My 2020 Charger Hellcat WB died while driving I was traveling about 80 or so and a ton of lights came on via the dash and it gradually died. When I pulled over on the highway the cars entire dash was off (black) and the push to start was stuck on run. No matter what I did the dash wouldn't come back on. I took of the negative on the battery for a reset and still nothing. The headlights still worked along with the hazard lights but the cars dash, screen etc were all off. I towed the car to the dealership where its been for about 4 weeks where the dealer is accusing me of jumping the car the wrong way causing a fuse to blow. I told the tech I never jumped the car nor did the tow truck driver as I was with him the whole time. At first the tech said it was a battery, blown fuse and it would be good to go. 4 weeks later he tells me they need a special tech to come in an diagnose the problem but It could be the PCM control module but my question still remains what caused this and why am I being charged for it when my car is still under warranty. The whole car was jumped wrong story seems like a way for the dealer to get around warranty work. Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Sorry to hear about your troubles!

I do agree that is a lame excuse for sure, if it was jumped backwards certainly more than one fuse would’ve been blown plus a bunch of ECMs fried for sure.

Plus the fact that you were stranded in the highway, I mean is not like you decided out of nowhere to stop in the middle of the highway, pulled a jumper pack and somehow managed to confused the jumper’s wires for the fun of it! (Did you?)

Certainly sounds like a terrible electrical gremlins but 4 weeks for them not being able to pin point the issue is totally unacceptable for sure! Make sure you document every single email, phone call, names, excuses, etc… you may still file for lemon law?

Keep us posted!

#3 ·
Has the dealer actually charged you for anything or just making noise? If just making noise, remind them what the bumper to bumper warranty is. If they keep acting up, call Dodge directly or have the vehicle towed to another dealer. Don't play with dealers, they are a dime a dozen.

If your B2B warranty is still active (and it should be), then they have no grounds to charge for any repair.

#10 ·
Has the dealer actually charged you for anything or just making noise? If just making noise, remind them what the bumper to bumper warranty is. If they keep acting up, call Dodge directly or have the vehicle towed to another dealer. Don't play with dealers, they are a dime a dozen.

If your B2B warranty is still active (and it should be), then they have no grounds to charge for any repair.
Initially they sent me an invoice for
$495 Main Battery
$25 Fuse
$250 Recalibration and Flash

$770 Before Tax

That was on Sept 29th.....That car is still at the dealer. Latest update is that didn't work and they are checking the BCM Module with no results yet

#4 ·
Hows it going,

Im faced with a problem that I cant seem to figure out, Ive searched the forum for answers but I cant seem to find a similar problem. My 2020 Charger Hellcat WB died while driving I was traveling about 80 or so and a ton of lights came on via the dash and it gradually died. When I pulled over on the highway the cars entire dash was off (black) and the push to start was stuck on run. No matter what I did the dash wouldn't come back on. I took of the negative on the battery for a reset and still nothing. The headlights still worked along with the hazard lights but the cars dash, screen etc were all off. I towed the car to the dealership where its been for about 4 weeks where the dealer is accusing me of jumping the car the wrong way causing a fuse to blow. I told the tech I never jumped the car nor did the tow truck driver as I was with him the whole time. At first the tech said it was a battery, blown fuse and it would be good to go. 4 weeks later he tells me they need a special tech to come in an diagnose the problem but It could be the PCM control module but my question still remains what caused this and why am I being charged for it when my car is still under warranty. The whole car was jumped wrong story seems like a way for the dealer to get around warranty work. Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

AHHAhahahaha...Hopefully you had to pay for the tow as well. If the dealer had any balls they would deny any warranty claim you have and it costs you mountains of cash

#5 ·
It sounds like there is a short in the electrical system that's throwing off the electronics. I've had cars go into limp mode but nothing like a full-on electrical seizure like that. I would think that if the PCM were faulty it could also cause those issues. Interested to hear what the actual problem was.

Is that sarcasm?

#12 · (Edited)
Apologies for the delay Im not getting the thread reply notifications

2020 WB, Eibach Pro Lowering Springs, B Woody Intake thats it no other mods, my only issues with this car has been axles replaced. 38k miles
I also have an aftermarket GPS tracker on the car but its been installed for about 2 years with zero issues.

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Window

#14 ·
Update Oct 24th:

Vehicle is still at the dealer, I contact the service advisor as much as possible without being annoying but its been nearly a month without my Hellcat. Every time I ask for an update there isn't one and im being told a special tech was needed to diagnose the issue and that signals were being tested. Below are the emails from the service advisor...At this point I dont know if I should tow the car to another dealer or try to wait it out.

Font Screenshot Multimedia Software Darkness

Font Software Screenshot Multimedia Darkness

#28 ·
Update as of this morning, What a way to start the week...

This dealer has had my car over a month and now they tell me this

View attachment 605634
And this is why I like GM's service. I've had a couple issues with my C8. Like many shops, they are booked solid... but when a C8 makes a service call, we get bumped to the front of the line. No waiting for me, ever. Dodge doesn't give 2 shits if you have a 2012 Avenger or a 2018 Demon. Everyone gets a diaper pie at the Dodge service desk. It's almost like GM wants to keep their 6 figure car buyers in the habit of coming back to buy more 6 digit cars or something. Crazy concept, really.

#24 ·
why am I being charged for it when my car is still under warranty.
Eibach Pro Lowering Springs, B Woody Intake thats it no other mods, my only issues with this car has been axles replaced.
Talk to other garages in the area and see what they think, knowledgeable mechanics won't be able to say what the problem is but will know how to properly diagnose. Looks like you are on the hook for any repairs and warranties aren't any good once you put aftermarket parts on, doesn't matter they aren't related to the issue.

#25 ·
Update For Anyone Following this thread:

Took the advice of a few in this thread and went to an actual performance shop. Dealer had my car over a month with no solution, within 4 hours of taking it to a local shop called Full Blown Performance who specialize in the hellcat platform they found the issue and fixed my Hellcat. It ended up being a shorted TMPS module that sent the car into a protective limp mode that caused the car to die and not turn back on until the module was removed and replaced.

#26 ·
So @HellcatHellYeah was right! Electrical short. Good job! Can you help me with mine @HellcatHellYeah? It’s tuned (possibly by full blown performance?) and has a TAZER thing a ma gig plugged in under the dash. A week ago the dash started staying on even with the car parked and locked. It keeps killing the battery. The ACC quit and the light for that is on too. Maybe it has to do with that module being shorted?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.