SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 7k miles on the Daytona the past month now as it has been getting worst if i get on the car after about an hour there is a a strong fuel smell coming from the passenger wheel well area. I inspected and cannot see a leak. There is definitely something leaking. Dealer claims they can't find anything. I know it's not related to getting gas or anything in that nature. Has anyone expedience this? I was going to check the pump under the rear seat though i don't smell it on the inside unless the windows are down. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
55 Posts
I had that problem once. Is there a check engine light? I ended up having a vacuum leak a hose was loose by the throttlebody. Haven't had a problem since then.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had that problem once. Is there a check engine light? I ended up having a vacuum leak a hose was loose by the throttlebody. Haven't had a problem since then.
No check engine light & no codes. Just a terrible raw fuel in the passenger side rear tire area. I don't smell it under the hood at all. It's just crazy how it comes and goes depending on how you drive the vehicle.

·
Registered
Charger SRT 392
55 Posts
Mine did that back around first of june but it popped up a check engine light for a vacuum leak and it was a loose hose

·
HOTM Winner
2017 Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,472 Posts
No check engine light & no codes. Just a terrible raw fuel in the passenger side rear tire area. I don't smell it under the hood at all. It's just crazy how it comes and goes depending on how you drive the vehicle.
Make sure it's fumes & not a actual gas leak, because if it is then you don't want to drive it, where it may leak on the exhaust & start a fire.

Reactions: RustyColt84

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Make sure it's fumes & not a actual gas leak, because if it is then you don't want to drive it, where it may leak on the exhaust & start a fire.
I know I’m a little worried about it. I’m pretty sure it’s not fumes. It’s raw fuel. The dealer said just drive it and when it comes back come back and ask for a manger to come and smell.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
476 Posts
Is there a vapor recovery canister recall for 392? I saw one for the hellcat platform not sure if its the chk valve or canister up above rear pass tire but dodge has sent me 2 recall notices on it. it was under a emissions recall notice. Its just above fender liner on pass side. might be worth looking into.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there a vapor recovery canister recall for 392? I saw one for the hellcat platform not sure if its the chk valve or canister up above rear pass tire but dodge has sent me 2 recall notices on it. it was under a emissions recall notice. Its just above fender liner on pass side. might be worth looking into.
Hmmm I haven’t got anything regarding this 2020. But sounds close to where my smell is coming.

·
FCA Official
Challenger SRT Hellcat
236 Posts
You can check for any open recalls using your VIN here: recalls.mopar.com

Kaitlin
Dodge Cares

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So the smell has returned last night and the dealer was closed so I couldn’t swing by and let the Service manager smell it. But it’s funny after I shut the car off it goes away. Definitely for sure under the passenger rear tire area. So going to drive it now until the smell comes and straight to the dealer I will go.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update! Got it to start smelling again. The service manager and tech that worked on the car came out and smelled it and told me that’s normal it’s the Evap rear mounted exhausting as it has to evap somewhere. He said no need to worry as when it’s hot out it will do it. Especially if you have a full tank.
So I guess I hope for the best that it is normal!

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
899 Posts
Update! Got it to start smelling again. The service manager and tech that worked on the car came out and smelled it and told me that’s normal it’s the Evap rear mounted exhausting as it has to evap somewhere. He said no need to worry as when it’s hot out it will do it. Especially if you have a full tank.
Not true.

Emissions from the evap circuit are purged into the intake stream, to be burned off.

AOC and the like would lose their minds to find out gas fumes were entering the atmosphere, that way.

Find another dealer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
6,108 Posts
Dealer is nuts! A gas smell on a brand new anything is most certainly not normal.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’m with that as well. I do not accept that answer is correct either. My 18 392 and Hellcat didn’t do the above.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
476 Posts
Mabye contact srt warranty claims and expliain whats happening have paperwork from dealerships assesment redily available so you can share with them they are usually very nice and helpful ask them to start a claim case on your car. They should be able to help you get your car straightened out fairly quickly and easy.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thats BS. I live in a tropical island, which means a LOT of heat. So far no gas smell anywhere. I hope you get this straightened out.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mabye contact srt warranty claims and expliain whats happening have paperwork from dealerships assesment redily available so you can share with them they are usually very nice and helpful ask them to start a claim case on your car. They should be able to help you get your car straightened out fairly quickly and easy.
I will do that for sure tomorrow!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts