SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Bad news - my baby was stolen Sunday night in Maryland. Only 6200 miles on it, didn't even get a chance to really open it up... #105 of 501.

I am posting this for 2 reasons - 1st as a warning to all you guys to immediately get the free upgrade for the GPS/NAV lockout that Dodge is offering to limit HP to idle speed if specific 4 digit code is not entered, regardless if the key is present. I was supposed to have that done tomorrow....

2nd, my son (who has an 18 Daytona) has posted the enclosed to all his friends and followers on IG. Hoping that word gets out and she is found, but not holding out much hope. It appears that this was a professional job as there was no glass found and the GPS appears to have been disabled. UConnect cannot track it..

If anyone knows of a contact at Dodge that "might" be able to help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Stay safe out there, and protect your investment at all times...

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,500 Posts
Not saying it was your fault whatsoever but you need to add a #3 that says do not park Hellcats at apartment complexes. This is the eleventeenth theft posted here about Hellcats being stolen from apartment complexes. At this point it’s well known and imo a Hellcat owner is basically daring these guys to take their car by living in an apartment complex and parking it outside.
I hope you get it back and if so work on getting a garage. These guys are scumbags.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Completely agree, but having had it parked there for 8 months with no issue gave me a false sense of security. This was in a very high income residential area, not in a city type environment.

But Yes, that is the message to send out to all owners.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
162 Posts
Sorry for your loss and as fellow gearheads we all know what it's like to get attached to our machines. As much as I hate to say it, I doubt you'll ever see that car again. Hellcat are hot commodities as they can be parted out and practically everything can be sold individually. Not so much with eBay but when I see expensive hellcat parts selling for very reasonable prices on Craigslist and OfferUp I can't help but to wonder sometimes where they really came from.

I'm sure you're locked in a lease but I would suggest you start looking for a new apartment with an attached garage before replacing it with a new Hellcat or other high end car. My brothers apartment has an attached garage with a manual locking lever with a hole for a pad lock so you can lock the door from inside the garage. The new security feature that Dodge is offering is a must for all Hellcat owners however there is no stopping a professional thief with a tow truck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry for your loss and as fellow gearheads we all know what it's like to get attached to our machines. As much as I hate to say it, I doubt you'll ever see that car again. Hellcat are hot commodities as they can be parted out and practically everything can be sold individually. Not so much with eBay but when I see expensive hellcat parts selling for very reasonable prices on Craigslist and OfferUp I can't help but to wonder sometimes where they really came from.

I'm sure you're locked in a lease but I would suggest you start looking for a new apartment with an attached garage before replacing it with a new Hellcat or other high end car. My brothers apartment has an attached garage with a manual locking lever with a hole for a pad lock so you can lock the door from inside the garage. The new security feature that Dodge is offering is a must for all Hellcat owners however there is no stopping a professional thief with a tow truck.
Yes locked in a lease which I just renewed, but at this point, I am unsure if I will even get another HC. This was the 50th anniversary numbered edition.. another HC would just be an invitation to have it stolen. Maybe I should just get a SP or a 392... my luck that would be stolen as well.

My son bought my 18 Daytona, he doesn't want to come home as he thinks his is next.

·
Super Moderator
Jeep GC Trackhawk
2,455 Posts
Get the house with garage before the HC..................

Then after parking your Hellcat in your secure garage, park another vehicle outside garage, directly behind Hellcat.

·
Registered
417 Posts
That really sucks and I hope you get the car back in the condition it was taken. My brother in law has had 2 trucks stolen from his Apartment complex that is also in a nice area of town. They are just magnets for crooks :-( If your apartment has detached garages see if you can snag one. It cost more but you'll save some money on your insurance that will help offset it. If not and the HC is not a DD check into a boat and RV enclosed storage unit. I did that for a while when I didn't have enough space at my house. If it's your DD then you just have to decide if it worth the risk. Shame it has to be that way.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
6,981 Posts
If they can disable the uconnect/gps, wouldn't the upgrade be meaningless?
I guess that's a good point, hopefully Dodge has got this figured out.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Challenger HC 6M
150 Posts
Awww man, sorry to hear. That completely sucks big time!

BTW. Did the Dodge Dealership know you were coming in tomorrow? Just thinking of all possibilities... Maybe someone in the service dept looked up your address to see it was parked in an apartment complex? I guess it also could have been as easily you were tailed home a few times to get a sense of when the car when/would be parked.

As I mentioned in another thread, I am considering hiding an extra data-connected iphone in my car (which is just sitting around anyway).

Good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Awww man, sorry to hear. That completely sucks big time!

BTW. Did the Dodge Dealership know you were coming in tomorrow? Just thinking of all possibilities... Maybe someone in the service dept looked up your address to see it was parked in an apartment complex? I guess it also could have been as easily you were tailed home a few times to get a sense of when the car when/would be parked.

As I mentioned in another thread, I am considering hiding an extra data-connected iphone in my car (which is just sitting around anyway).

Good luck!
Thanks - the only one who knew I was coming in was the Service Director, whom I've known for years. He doesn't enter anything for me in the system until I get there as my hours vary. But yes, I did think of that as well.

It also occurred to me that maybe a technician I had fired from the dealership for taking my car on a joyride and doing doughnuts during PDI (and then posted one of the videos he made to YouTube identifying the "105 of 501" badge) was the culprit, but I think the Police have already questioned him...

1 - 20 of 107 Posts