SRT Hellcat Forum banner

61 - 80 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Yo make sure you get wheel locks on your car if you get a scat.. what some people don’t realize like what you were talking about false sense of security.. these crooks like the ones that took your car are master schemers.. they probably had someone like a kid with a bicycle keeping tabs on your car and when it moves when you go to work etc.. over the course of weeks. I used to park my 2017 SRT 392 charger at my girl friends parking lot in her apartment complex. It was good there for like a dozen times I parked over the course of a few months.. then one morning I woke up ready to head back to my place for work and my car was on Blocks with all four wheels and tires gone. Was a nightmare and I learned my lesson. Thank god the crooks didn’t damage the vehicle. No one would help me I had to buy the wheels and tires out of pocket and jack the car up myself to get it back to running again. Had to take off work like 3 days. Eventually insurance reimbursed me then I had to switch policies because they jacked my rate.
That sucks... especially no one helping you. The HC came wirh wheel locks from the factory, but that doesn't help

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,642 Posts
So no one drives their Hellcat to dinner, a movie, a bar, store? You guys just drive it around and only park in your garage? Thats being a victim. Dude had his car stolen as did I and blaming him for using his car as something other than a park only in your garage seems nuts to me. I have a garage. I drive my car. I drive it to places where I get out and dont watch it. Am I the problem? Wow
Sure I do those things, but I don’t leave it overnight in a location that’s not my garage. I have other cars that I can take that I don’t give a damn what happens to them. Not my baby though. Btw I probably have more miles than you dude. My 2019 charger has 20300 miles and my Redeye has 8000. I drive them

Reactions: granitecitycat

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,947 Posts
wHy cant we just get along at this time of mourning ?..?

·
Registered
15 Posts
After owning my first Challenger HC WB a total of 4 days - before it was stolen ... i can really understand the OPs pain.
I've decided to not put any hope into solutions/ideas offered from FCA. Coming from the Corvette world (sold my last C7 Z06 about 2 months ago) - theft of the car never crossed my mind. Needless to say, I walked into HC ownership with my eyes wide shut! I had no idea they were that "hot/popular" with the low life ghetto crack/meth scum of America. Shoot, I never even paid much attention to a Dodge ANYTHING. What lead me to a HC ownership was seeing a Challenger WB and I thought "not bad." Couple that with me growing tired of having to fall in/crawl out of low slung Vettes over the years (it was really weird after being in my lifted Sierra on 33's all week) and the HC WB Challenger became a viable option. But ... as an Engineer, I totally dropped the ball by NOT considering all variables (like theft rate) when researching pre-purchase.
I replaced my stolen HC WB with another HC WB - RedEye this time around. I've also built designed a full security and tracking system because the factory offerings for alarm and the Guardian system are worthless. I put a full blown 2 way system (with RS, Shock/Motion/Tilt, Li BU battery - the works) interfaced into the CANBUS with remotes that will control the aftermarket alarm and the factory system. I moved the factory OBD connector to an undisclosed location along with a full fledged GPRS / GSM tracker that sends texts based on shock, movement, door status etc.. It's track-able via the web or through an App. With different commands via text messages, I can request status, location, battery connection state, BU battery percentage. I can also deactivate the fuel pump via text message - for it to kill immediately or when the vehicle comes to speed <7 MPH and a host of other features (many of which become redundant to the alarm system I installed).
I use a similar, though older 2G based SIM (that works just fine) on my Harley. It's a very reliable/robust system that only cost me $5 a month for the Simple Mobile 2/3/4G Sim.
So, while I can't necessarily stop the attempted or actual theft of the car. I can just about guarantee that:
  • It won't be easy
  • It won't be without making me aware of the attempt
  • The devices are next to impossible to find/access and equally as difficult to defeat
  • If stolen with a Tow Truck "yanker" style ... I'll know exactly where it's headed or has arrived to
I'd never had a vehicle stolen in my life (and I've owned 70 or so) and I don't plan on being a repeat victim.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
801 Posts
So no one drives their Hellcat to dinner, a movie, a bar, store? You guys just drive it around and only park in your garage? Thats being a victim. Dude had his car stolen as did I and blaming him for using his car as something other than a park only in your garage seems nuts to me. I have a garage. I drive my car. I drive it to places where I get out and dont watch it. Am I the problem? Wow
Oh, I daily mine. But I don't park it unprotected, ever. I don't care how good a thief is, they're not going to be able to take my car without me knowing about it. If they're professional high-tech thieves, they might be able to disable part of my monitoring system, but not before it alerts me that something is going on. And then, I have not one, not two, but three GPS transmitters in the car. One in the common OMDB2 space, but the other two are well hidden. So, they may think they disabled the tracker via the easy to locate OMDB2, but the other is behind a door panel, and the third is underneath the car.

I work in law enforcement analytics, so I see how thieves operate. The systems I use to protect my car include GPS location transmitters, and a silent intrusion alarm system that alerts of vehicle movement, doors opening, windows breaking, etc. Basically, minus a remote kill switch, the car is rigged up a lot like a bait vehicle, to include nonstop internal/external video and audio monitoring.

I am fairly certain that anyone who does get past my security measures will no doubt be located and found. Within minutes.

The best part is that I live in a relatively crime free area on the NW fringe of Tallahassee. But, in the city, we do have a lot of vehicle thefts and break-ins. I used to have a fairly ignorant view on vehicle security... until while at a movie, someone vandalized my 1964 Thunderbird. I wasn't parked poorly, or anything, but I did park it away from the rest of the cars. Someone spray painted, "John <3 Rachel" in red spray paint all over the side of my restored argyle/wimbledon 64 TBird.

Since then, no car I have an emotional attachment to goes without some form of vehicle security with at least video monitoring. This has served me well, as with my 2015 Mustang, someone at a car show intentionally keyed it and a couple of other cars while we were all gathered for the trophy awards. That person did 30 days in jail and had to pay me $6,500 to get the left side repainted. All caught on video.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
801 Posts
I remember what my grandfather told me once, "You don't park a car more expensive than your house outside." Granted, a Hellcat isn't more expensive than most houses, but to say, you shouldn't store expensive cars outside. It's asking for trouble. Most vehicle break-ins don't involve loss of vehicle. They target vulnerable cars. Thieves by nature are greedy and opportunistic. If you dangle a $130,000 Porsche outside for too long, eventually someone with more greed than sense is going to break a window and see what kind of rich stuff rich people put inside their cars.

Dodge has the polar opposite problem of Chevrolet. They've actually marketed their cars too well, to the point where a Hellcat has become an almost irresistible target for some. Even if a thief gets caught stealing a Hellcat, he's famous in the jail/prison/streets for having done so. Parking them outside overnight is a lot like putting a 6-pack of beer on the curb with a sticky note that reads, "Don't steal the beer." In well-lit, safe locations where there's people around, you're probably fine. But, at 3am in an apartment parking lot? It's especially dangerous if they learn your routine (and they do this) and wait for all your lights to go out, and know pretty much when you won't be coming back out for a while.

Leaving an expensive car outside overnight is inviting potential trouble. Petty thieves will check for unlocked cars and such, but a car like a Hellcat will invoke more overt criminals to make a pass, as there are an awful lot of perks to stealing one, even if they get caught.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Simple GPS is EASILY DEFEATED with a VCO (voltage controlled oscillator). You can buy units that plug into a 12 volt outlet, on EBay and the likes, for under $10.
You have to figure that the average GPS constellation is 12K miles away - it doesn’t take much to disrupt the weak signal.
Using GPRS/GSM is the better choice
General Packet Radio Service is tower to tower that extends the broadcasting via electronics in the CO. It supports IPv4, PTP always “on”
I would NOT use a single source GPS.

Reactions: DevilsReject97

·
Registered
410 Posts
After owning my first Challenger HC WB a total of 4 days - before it was stolen ... i can really understand the OPs pain.
I've decided to not put any hope into solutions/ideas offered from FCA. Coming from the Corvette world (sold my last C7 Z06 about 2 months ago) - theft of the car never crossed my mind. Needless to say, I walked into HC ownership with my eyes wide shut! I had no idea they were that "hot/popular" with the low life ghetto crack/meth scum of America. Shoot, I never even paid much attention to a Dodge ANYTHING. What lead me to a HC ownership was seeing a Challenger WB and I thought "not bad." Couple that with me growing tired of having to fall in/crawl out of low slung Vettes over the years (it was really weird after being in my lifted Sierra on 33's all week) and the HC WB Challenger became a viable option. But ... as an Engineer, I totally dropped the ball by NOT considering all variables (like theft rate) when researching pre-purchase.
I replaced my stolen HC WB with another HC WB - RedEye this time around. I've also built designed a full security and tracking system because the factory offerings for alarm and the Guardian system are worthless. I put a full blown 2 way system (with RS, Shock/Motion/Tilt, Li BU battery - the works) interfaced into the CANBUS with remotes that will control the aftermarket alarm and the factory system. I moved the factory OBD connector to an undisclosed location along with a full fledged GPRS / GSM tracker that sends texts based on shock, movement, door status etc.. It's track-able via the web or through an App. With different commands via text messages, I can request status, location, battery connection state, BU battery percentage. I can also deactivate the fuel pump via text message - for it to kill immediately or when the vehicle comes to speed <7 MPH and a host of other features (many of which become redundant to the alarm system I installed).
I use a similar, though older 2G based SIM (that works just fine) on my Harley. It's a very reliable/robust system that only cost me $5 a month for the Simple Mobile 2/3/4G Sim.
So, while I can't necessarily stop the attempted or actual theft of the car. I can just about guarantee that:
  • It won't be easy
  • It won't be without making me aware of the attempt
  • The devices are next to impossible to find/access and equally as difficult to defeat
  • If stolen with a Tow Truck "yanker" style ... I'll know exactly where it's headed or has arrived to
I'd never had a vehicle stolen in my life (and I've owned 70 or so) and I don't plan on being a repeat victim.
Gotta pay for that meth somehow. Fiends be fiending.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,967 Posts
If you dangle a $130,000 Porsche outside for too long, eventually someone with more greed than sense is going to break a window and see what kind of rich stuff rich people put inside their cars.
That part I have wondered about. What if someone is dumb/brave enough to grab radar detectors and such from our unlocked cars?
Oh well, hopefully they'll at least be smart enough not to break any windows.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
489 Posts
Completely agree, but having had it parked there for 8 months with no issue gave me a false sense of security. This was in a very high income residential area, not in a city type environment.

But Yes, that is the message to send out to all owners.
That means that it was the most likely place for it to get stolen..most HELLCATS aren’t parked in the ghettos to start with..sorry to hear this.. owners have to learn the dodge alarm doesn’t protect from theft, if they break out a window,and pop it into neutral..then all they need is a key recoder which you can buy on line, which once plugged into the OBD port removes the code for your current key,and allows a blank key to be assign to your ECM..takes less than 5-10 mins and the car is gone..any decent tech can do this, and thieves have figured it out as well, this key coders shouldn’t be allowed to be sold on line period..

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
26 Posts
Sorry for your loss and as fellow gearheads we all know what it's like to get attached to our machines. As much as I hate to say it, I doubt you'll ever see that car again. Hellcat are hot commodities as they can be parted out and practically everything can be sold individually. Not so much with eBay but when I see expensive hellcat parts selling for very reasonable prices on Craigslist and OfferUp I can't help but to wonder sometimes where they really came from.

I'm sure you're locked in a lease but I would suggest you start looking for a new apartment with an attached garage before replacing it with a new Hellcat or other high end car. My brothers apartment has an attached garage with a manual locking lever with a hole for a pad lock so you can lock the door from inside the garage. The new security feature that Dodge is offering is a must for all Hellcat owners however there is no stopping a professional thief with a tow truck.
A Gun , with a good aim !!

·
Registered
2019 Charger Hellcat
652 Posts
Who here blamed the owner? lol did i miss that post?

·
Registered
2019 Charger Hellcat
652 Posts
What's next? Not really sure - where do you go from here? I am thinking a SP, but possibly something that doesn't attract so much attention...
Mannnnn if you are looking for something that attracts less attention I would stay away from Dodge altogether. These are the hottest cars out (literally and figuratively)
Scat packs attract just as much attention as hellcats these days as well as the Durango

And what really sucks about it is they all get stolen the same way

BUT what i will also say is to get what you want no matter what attention it attracts. Life is too short and this is exactly what insurance is for

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,967 Posts
BUT what i will also say is to get what you want no matter what attention it attracts. Life is too short and this is exactly what insurance is for
Yep. And if I had something stolen, I would hope that it's as new as possible.
That way it's usually easy to get another one just like it.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
252 Posts
Thanks...It was in my apartment parking lot complex. No cameras...
My 2015 Hellcat Challenger was stolen a month ago at a high class golf resort during a military conference in Hoover Alabama at Renaissance Ross Bridge. On camera but too grainy to see much. Broke the window and towed it away in 3 minutes. Never cranked it but disabled the shifter into neutral and never set off the alarm since they didn’t open the door Hasn’t been seen since.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
801 Posts
That part I have wondered about. What if someone is dumb/brave enough to grab radar detectors and such from our unlocked cars?
Oh well, hopefully they'll at least be smart enough not to break any windows.
Well, the stock Dodge alarm doesn't go off on breaking the window. It goes off if you open the door though, hence why they break windows.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,967 Posts
Well, the stock Dodge alarm doesn't go off on breaking the window. It goes off if you open the door though, hence why they break windows.
Based on my experience, the alarm does not go off when opening the door. And why would it?

It sounds like you missed the part about our doors being unlocked in the first place. Which is why I have wondered about someone potentially taking radar detectors and whatever else is in the cars.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
801 Posts
This just happened to someone in one of my FB groups. He only had the car a few days. Still has the temp tags on it. IIRC, it was a used 2015:

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
801 Posts
Based on my experience, the alarm does not go off when opening the door. And why would it?

It sounds like you missed the part about our doors being unlocked in the first place. Which is why I have wondered about someone potentially taking radar detectors and whatever else is in the cars.
Arm your alarm and move the fob well away from the car. Yank on the door handle. Sometimes even that will set the alarm off. I work in law enforcement, and thieves know how Hellcats work and they often won't even check to see if the door is locked or not. That's because breaking the window works 100% of the time without setting it off. If you use one of those emergency exit window punches, it really doesn't make much noise.

61 - 80 of 114 Posts