SRT Hellcat Forum banner

81 - 100 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,979 Posts
Arm your alarm and move the fob well away from the car. Yank on the door handle. Sometimes even that will set the alarm off. I work in law enforcement, and thieves know how Hellcats work and they often won't even check to see if the door is locked or not. That's because breaking the window works 100% of the time without setting it off. If you use one of those emergency exit window punches, it really doesn't make much noise.
I think you're still misunderstanding my posts.

Yes, I'm sure the alarm would go off if someone opened the door...at least if the door was locked and/or the alarm is set.
But since our cars are not locked, and the alarms not set, unlikely as it may be, someone could grab radar detectors and other stuff from our vehicles.
That's also why I wrote that I hope they open the door instead of breaking a window.

But I wouldn't bet on it. Had a beater car parked outside work, and someone broke into it - even though all four doors were unlocked.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I think you're still misunderstanding my posts.

Yes, I'm sure the alarm would go off if someone opened the door...at least if the door was locked and/or the alarm is set.
But since our cars are not locked, and the alarms not set, unlikely as it may be, someone could grab radar detectors and other stuff from our vehicles.
That's also why I wrote that I hope they open the door instead of breaking a window.

But I wouldn't bet on it. Had a beater car parked outside work, and someone broke into it - even though all four doors were unlocked.
I did about the same while in college. I lived in an off campus apartment and had a Miata at the time. After the first couple years of having to replace a top about every 6 months due to it getting cut so they could open my doors to steal stuff I just started to leave the doors unlocked. I never kept anything of value in my car anyways but at least this way I cut down on my top expenses. I got good at changing tops though. Wasn't a bad part of town either.

My friends and family think I'm nuts but when I have to stay at a hotel in any of our cars I always pull the fuel pump fuse before going to bed. Wont prevent a tow and steal situation but helped me sleep better at night. I'll have to check the HC as I assume it's got one that's easy to get to.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I can't believe they didn't take the brakes too.
Exactly what ran through my mind as I looked over the photos "they actually didn't take the brakes?!?"

Reactions: DevilsReject97

·
Registered
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye
53 Posts
Yo make sure you get wheel locks on your car if you get a scat.. what some people don’t realize like what you were talking about false sense of security.. these crooks like the ones that took your car are master schemers.. they probably had someone like a kid with a bicycle keeping tabs on your car and when it moves when you go to work etc.. over the course of weeks. I used to park my 2017 SRT 392 charger at my girl friends parking lot in her apartment complex. It was good there for like a dozen times I parked over the course of a few months.. then one morning I woke up ready to head back to my place for work and my car was on Blocks with all four wheels and tires gone. Was a nightmare and I learned my lesson. Thank god the crooks didn’t damage the vehicle. No one would help me I had to buy the wheels and tires out of pocket and jack the car up myself to get it back to running again. Had to take off work like 3 days. Eventually insurance reimbursed me then I had to switch policies because they jacked my rate. Now I own a hellcat charger and a Redeye. Both have wheel locks and I never park them anywhere other than my garage for more than a couple hours at a time unless just to grab a bite to eat. The City hell no! Philly has been having a big issue with wheel theft and even grand theft in your case. Sorry this happened to you. But I would advise you do not get another scat or cat until you put in a garage or else make sure you at minimum have double wheel locks on every wheel if your leaving it in a apartment complex.
What will locks did you go with for your Charger and Redeye?

·
Premium Member
2020 M6 HC
670 Posts
What some people are missing is that "professionals" "target" a car. If it sits in any one place long enough to give them a safe opportunity to take it, it is a candidate. Your apt or condo lot, parked every night... Your girlfriends apt every Sat night midnight to 6. They are not watching just you, they are watching a dozen prospects and taking advantage of the opportunities that present themselves. They have a plan, a place, and then when the opportunity presents, GONE!

Those that keep our cars in locked attached garages, not visible from the street even better, and possibly firearms at the ready, the opportunity is not clear or predictable, perhaps dangerous. If the car shows up here and there at restaurant or WM at random times and days, and without G2 on the owners habits, there is little opportunity plus high risk of an owner suddenly coming back (possibly armed). These are ignored, they prefer easy, predictable targets.

Short story: DON'T BE AN EASY TARGET!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
189 Posts
To the original poster,sorry to hear for sure....

‘’I wonder if the real question shouldn be,how hard is it to give these cars a new computer identity.
‘Meaning it can not be tracked or traced by electronic means..

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
492 Posts
What will locks did you go with for your Charger and Redeye?
To the original poster,sorry to hear for sure....

‘’I wonder if the real question shouldn be,how hard is it to give these cars a new computer identity.
‘Meaning it can not be tracked or traced by electronic means..
There’s no reason to do that or why ? But ,as I posted it’s simply takes a key recorder and a new blank key fob..they can all be ordered on line for less than 20-40% less than the factory ones, even the key recorder is A cheap knock off, simply install it in the OBD port delete your key fob install the blank turn off all the security systems, you can even delete the cars tracker with it..
And your off in 5-10mins...
STOP PARKING OUTSIDE PERIOD IF YOU CAN AFFORD A HELLCAT SPEND THE MONEY TO PROTECT IT ,STOP BEING FREAKING VICTIMS TO THESE THUGS..if you live in a APARTMENT,then get a garage or go buy a $500 beater and use it to drive home and leave your CAT in storage at night time it’s cheaper than loosing your car..that’s what I did after loosing my GN’s in 1990’s..I never parked it in my driveway again over night until we installed a steal fence and gate ..now everything is parked in a 5k square foot garage watched by this guy below ..

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
810 Posts
Ya know, sometimes the culprit is an "associate" of the seller.
I don't know any details on this, only saw his post. But I believe he got a "cheap" Hellcat (>70,000mi) for under 40k and was parking it outside.

That's one other thing that's unique to Hellcats. Even though a used Hellcat might be half the cost of a new one, they still look like new ones... because new ones haven't been outwardly refreshed much, aside from the hoods on the latest models. The old ones are just as potent as the new ones in terms of performance and $$$ for their parts. So, when folks buy a used Hellcat, sometimes they can't afford the garage to keep it in and they store one of the hottest cars to steal exactly the same way they used to store their other cars. Right outside in the parking lot or in an open driveway somewhere. I hate to advise folks to put your head on a swivel, but Hellcat ownership is different. Thieves do in fact target low risk opportunities, but they will also accept a higher risk for a bigger reward (your Hellcat is a HUGE reward).

If folks need to do this, then please budget for a decent anti-theft system. Cheap(ish) used Hellcats are not Honda Accords and if there's a bad apple within eyeshot of your home looking to steal a car, yours will end up on the top of his list if you leave it out or, as others have said, follow a pattern and leave it predictably vulnerable.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
810 Posts
View attachment 571269
my replacement fir the factory’s idea of a alarm system..

Same :) Mine's a trained Black and Tan Coonhound. He'll bite on command, but he mainly exists to alert and track. My detached garage is literally 4 inches detatched (HOA rules, looks like part of the house). The only way in is through the side door inside of a 10ft privacy fence. At night time, I have a SafeTouch security system in the garage that arms at midnight every night. It's wired into the window and door. If either open, regardless if its a key or not, it sounds the silent alarm. There's also motion detectors.

And, by silent alarm, I replaced the alarm klaxon with a an electronic dog whistle. So, even if the Coonhound is sleeping on the job, that silent alarm will wake him, and he has a dog door that lets him out of the house and another into the garage :). When they alert, Coonhounds make a lot of noise. I've recorded mine at 104 decibels.He can wake me up from a coma.

I'd be about 10 seconds behind him with some Mossberg semiauto backup if he ever bolts into the garage.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My 2015 Hellcat Challenger was stolen a month ago at a high class golf resort during a military conference in Hoover Alabama at Renaissance Ross Bridge. On camera but too grainy to see much. Broke the window and towed it away in 3 minutes. Never cranked it but disabled the shifter into neutral and never set off the alarm since they didn’t open the door Hasn’t been seen since.
Darn, that sucks!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
492 Posts
The thing about a used hellcat is it’s a better target for them as the parts all sell just the same and a used hellcat motor and brakes etc are easier to move than a new one I’d think which tends to bring more attention, plus I’ve even seen them sell the same parts from the stripped Recovered car back to the insurance company and installed at the body shop not to be noticed until the owner goes over his baby in fine detail, lol now that’s got to piss ya off..

·
Registered
2021 Hellcat Widebody
8 Posts
Not saying it was your fault whatsoever but you need to add a #3 that says do not park Hellcats at apartment complexes. This is the eleventeenth theft posted here about Hellcats being stolen from apartment complexes. At this point it’s well known and imo a Hellcat owner is basically daring these guys to take their car by living in an apartment complex and parking it outside.
I hope you get it back and if so work on getting a garage. These guys are scumbags.

I have a three car garage, with just a lift, a Harley, my 2021 Redeye and tools. To protect and keep shit nice I have a huge dehumidifier, an alarm when ever door is open or closed to my phone and a ring camera spotting HC to record and show on my phone at anytime, oh and Ella wont like a visitor and will bark up a storm, still sad to hear.i hope by this time you have it back,

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
36 Posts
Hey all,

Bad news - my baby was stolen Sunday night in Maryland. Only 6200 miles on it, didn't even get a chance to really open it up... #105 of 501.

I am posting this for 2 reasons - 1st as a warning to all you guys to immediately get the free upgrade for the GPS/NAV lockout that Dodge is offering to limit HP to idle speed if specific 4 digit code is not entered, regardless if the key is present. I was supposed to have that done tomorrow....

2nd, my son (who has an 18 Daytona) has posted the enclosed to all his friends and followers on IG. Hoping that word gets out and she is found, but not holding out much hope. It appears that this was a professional job as there was no glass found and the GPS appears to have been disabled. UConnect cannot track it..

If anyone knows of a contact at Dodge that "might" be able to help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Stay safe out there, and protect your investment at all times...
Sorry brother.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
484 Posts
In the current times using a dog for security seems cruel. Unless the dog knows how to use a gun and knife. They’ll just kill the dog and not even think about it. And if the dog bites them they’ll Lawsuit you or come and kill you. Lose, lose. The animals that are stealing these cars treat people like dogs Imagine how they will treat your dog.
Dog only keeps honest people honest like a car alarm.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye NB
401 Posts
In the current times using a dog for security seems cruel. Unless the dog knows how to use a gun and knife. They’ll just kill the dog and not even think about it. And if the dog bites them they’ll Lawsuit you or come and kill you. Lose, lose. The animals that are stealing these cars treat people like dogs Imagine how they will treat your dog.
Dog only keeps honest people honest like a car alarm.
Well, first and foremost, the sound of a gunshot is going to ruin ANY chance of them completing the theft. Secondly, most of these idiots couldn't hit a moving target if they tried... that dog has a far better chance of living than the perp..

A well trained guard dog is actually better than a gun in many instances....because you don't have to worry about whether they're in the house, out of the house, facing you, back turned...

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Redeye
484 Posts
Well, first and foremost, the sound of a gunshot is going to ruin ANY chance of them completing the theft. Secondly, most of these idiots couldn't hit a moving target if they tried... that dog has a far better chance of living than the perp..

A well trained guard dog is actually better than a gun in many instances....because you don't have to worry about whether they're in the house, out of the house, facing you, back turned...
I guess it depends on where you live. Your experience is much different than mine. You obviously live in a nice neighborhood. In my neighborhood people hear shots they look the other way. Bad guys Steal and take what they want.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye NB
401 Posts
I guess it depends on where you live. Your experience is much different than mine. You obviously live in a nice neighborhood. In my neighborhood people hear shots they look the other way. Steal and take what you want.
Nah, I grew up primarily in craptastic places outside of military bases, trailer parks, etc... and even now, I wouldn't say where I live is a nice neighborhood. It's a decent one though.

I lived in the hood as well, I know what you're saying... my comment was meant more towards a generalized statement. Most people in the hood aint worried about guard dogs....

81 - 100 of 114 Posts