SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
waiting on 2021 order
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I sat on my hands too long and missed the order window. My only hope was to find one that a dealer had ordered to sell. I think I found one and started discussions with them last night. It has not been tagged as sold, is in transit. Just working out trade values.

But, if I do this, the HC Durango will be my daily driver. Am I nuts? Is anyone else likely putting theirs into daily service?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
84 Posts
As long as you can afford the gas I think it will be a great choice, but I've always heard it was more about "Smiles per Gallon than Miles per Gallon":) Would love to have one myself but would have to give up the Challenger..........

·
Registered
waiting on 2021 order
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As long as you can afford the gas I think it will be a great choice. Would love to have one myself but would have to give up the Challenger..........

That's where I'm stuck...Right now I have a Scat Pack challenger as my daily Driver. Was looking to get into Hellcat Challenger this year, since I missed the Durango ordering...and SRT's are going the way of the dinosaur. If I go the Durango option, I'd need to free up some extra coin, so would also need to offload a JK Unlimited Wrangler, leaving just the Durango as my daily. It would be fun. In the back of my head though, with limited production, do I want to be racking up the miles on it...But also, what fun is it sitting in the garage? Or I keep the jeep and sell off some other equities I hadn't planned on doing this year...

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
84 Posts
That's where I'm stuck...Right now I have a Scat Pack challenger as my daily Driver. Was looking to get into Hellcat Challenger this year, since I missed the Durango ordering...and SRT's are going the way of the dinosaur. If I go the Durango option, I'd need to free up some extra coin, so would also need to offload a JK Unlimited Wrangler, leaving just the Durango as my daily. It would be fun. In the back of my head though, with limited production, do I want to be racking up the miles on it...But also, what fun is it sitting in the garage? Or I keep the jeep and sell off some other equities I hadn't planned on doing this year...
As you say, it's going to be a rare commodity only produced for this model year. Looks like you have a nice fleet of cars and a couple of options to shuffle things around. In your situation, I would say go for it and buy a $5K daily driver to supplement if you're worried about mileage. Just my thoughts..........

·
Registered
2021 Reactor Blue Durango Hellcat
81 Posts
Even though the Durango Hellcat will be rare, I'm not worried about miles. Why buy something and not enjoy it as much?

It's actually something I'm running into right now. When I bought my Challenger, I would drive it as much as I could but now I'm at a point where I can't. I love driving the car but can't enjoy it as much as I'd like to and hate having it just sit there, while paying for something I'm not really using (insurance + maintenance, cars paid off).

Will be sad to see it go, but I think this'll be a nice upgrade plus have functionality for years to come. I may buy another Challenger in a few years if the situation changes but I'll definitely be holding on to the Durango for a very long time.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,524 Posts
So, I sat on my hands too long and missed the order window. My only hope was to find one that a dealer had ordered to sell. I think I found one and started discussions with them last night. It has not been tagged as sold, is in transit. Just working out trade values.

But, if I do this, the HC Durango will be my daily driver. Am I nuts? Is anyone else likely putting theirs into daily service?
Naa, my wife will be using her Hellcat Durango as a daily driver.

Reactions: granitecitycat

·
Registered
2019 Charger Hellcat
652 Posts
It's not a demon. You have an opportunity to get one and most people don't.

Get it, drive it, and enjoy that thing.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hijacking the thread to say that Koons in Virginia still has some allocated units available.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
716 Posts
My Hellcat Challenger gets 2mpg better than my 2018 392 Scat did (both DDs). However, neither was a Durango.

·
Registered
2021 Reactor Blue Durango Hellcat
81 Posts
My Hellcat Challenger gets 2mpg better than my 2018 392 Scat did (both DDs). However, neither was a Durango.
I'm curious to see what I'll get with my Durango, with my 392 SRT the worst I got was 12 but the best was 27 with total averaging at 19.4.

·
Registered
waiting on 2021 order
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm curious to see what I'll get with my Durango, with my 392 SRT the worst I got was 12 but the best was 27 with total averaging at 19.4.
Geez - my 6.4 scat I'm lucky to get 14 on a good week...

Oddly this one has what I would order, with a couple of extras I don't really mind...Very satisfied with the sight unseen trade proposals (low end, but pretty much there). And sales did check with management that I can use affiliate rewards towards it. I had reached out to program headquarters and they did verify, but said it was up to the dealer.
2021 Eligibility

Eligible Models:
All Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge (including SRT), Ram (Including Wrangler 4Xe), FIAT, Alfa Romeo vehicles

Ineligible Models: 500e, Ram TRX

I put the deposit down. Looks like it is mine to refuse....

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye NB
338 Posts
I don't think you'll regret the decision to switch... more fun, more smiles, and more enjoyment..

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm going to assume if you are looking at a near $100K SUV that you:
1 - Live in a situation to where you can have more than one car reasonably.
2 - You can financially afford a cheaper car to be a daily driver.

You mentioned some things that really puts #2 in question but I'm not going to give anyone financial advise as it's not my place how you chose to spend your money but I do encourage you (and everyone) to look long term as if you plan well you can have even more freedom down the road than what you may have today.

But under the above assumptions. 100% get a cheap DD (or keep the Jeep) and the HC Durango for fun driving. Reasons I suggest this:
1 - It will keep the Durango more fun. If you drive it everyday the "special" feel will wears out eventually. Having another car you drive on the regular makes driving your fun car more fun.
2 - MPG is no longer of concern (if that even is part of it). Your DD is a higher MPG car and as such you aren't as stressed about paying at the pump. Trust me, strapping yourself really sucks if the cost of gas goes up a lot. Learn from me that way. Bought my wife an Alpha H3 when they came out and she LOVED that thing but when gas hit over $4 (we bought it in the $2.50 range) a gallon we no longer enjoyed the SUV as it was hard for us to afford to put a $100 of gas in it weekly.
3 - Insurance cost. If the HC Durango is your DD your insurance cost will be a lot higher than if it was a pleasure vehicle. You probably wont come out ahead but consider this when looking at your overall budget for total cost. You may find it helps close the gap a bit.

I know most of the above is subjective and may sound like I'm trying to tell you how to spend your money. That's not my goal as it's honestly none of my business but I offer it as leanings from mistakes I've made along my journey.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
716 Posts
I live in Tallahassee. It's typical Florida sprawl, but almost 100% of my driving is city. My 392 averaged 11.8mpg the 2 years I had it. I've had my Hellcat 8 months and it is averaging 14.1. No changes in driving habits.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,346 Posts
its an AWD 3-row seating SUV how is that not a daily driver?

Reactions: granitecitycat

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,898 Posts
I live in Tallahassee. It's typical Florida sprawl, but almost 100% of my driving is city. My 392 averaged 11.8mpg the 2 years I had it. I've had my Hellcat 8 months and it is averaging 14.1. No changes in driving habits.
Yup, location, location, location.

Without any city driving I get around 16.5 with the 'Hawk, which is only slightly lighter (don't know how they compare to a Durango aerodynamically) if I keep it under 100. It's normally 80-100.

With the Challenger I usually get over 20 mpg, going 80-120. Both are more or less driven at steady speeds, then stomped on when passing.

Meanwhile, my girlfriend consistently gets just under 24 mpg in her Redeye. Same 2-lane roads and large elevation changes, but she does drive a bit slower and isn't as aggressive when passing.

Overall I'm very impressed with the mileage they're getting. If living in a city I likely wouldn't be. But then we wouldn't have these cars, either.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
716 Posts
Yup, location, location, location.

Without any city driving I get around 16.5 with the 'Hawk, which is only slightly lighter (don't know how they compare to a Durango aerodynamically) if I keep it under 100. It's normally 80-100.

With the Challenger I usually get over 20 mpg, going 80-120. Both are more or less driven at steady speeds, then stomped on when passing.

Meanwhile, my girlfriend consistently gets just under 24 mpg in her Redeye. Same 2-lane roads and large elevation changes, but she does drive a bit slower and isn't as aggressive when passing.

Overall I'm very impressed with the mileage they're getting. If living in a city I likely wouldn't be. But then we wouldn't have these cars, either.
I average 24.1 mpg between Tallahassee and Panama City on I-10. I've done the drive a half dozen times or so. In short, I seem to get a little better than the estimate in the city (we don't have a lot of stopped idle traffic), and about right on the EPA estimate on the highway. I average about 800mi a month :) So it's a pretty solid amount of test data I have over here.

·
Registered
waiting on 2021 order
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I guess this is all ethanol free gas? Can't find it up here...it kills mileage even at 10% and add on top of that the "winter blend"....I get crappy gas mileage in the the 392. The jeep is lifted and I'm lucky to see 10mpg...

Oh well. we were on a good path of energy...

1 - 20 of 103 Posts