SRT Hellcat Forum banner

61 - 80 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
37 Posts
Chancey congrats on your purchase having a redeye myself and going to a SS you made the right decision. You can have your dealer make your car a sold order protection and you will get rebate when your car comes in .

·
Registered
2020 SRT Super Stock
43 Posts
I would never buy the SS because I hate Chevy cars with a passion.
Dodge was building Super stocks in the early 60's and dominating the drag strip it's more of a Mopar moniker than Chevy. Altered wheel base cars, w
IMG_0879.jpg
eight savings with acid dipped bodies, stripped down interiors with a lightweight seat from the A100 van, no window regulators and bumpers made half the thickness of the standard bumpers. I have a set of these bumpers on my 63 Savoy max wedge.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye NB
389 Posts
Dodge was building Super stocks in the early 60's and dominating the drag strip it's more of a Mopar moniker than Chevy. Altered wheel base cars, weight savings with acid dipped bodies, stripped down interiors with a lightweight seat from the A100 van, no window regulators and bumpers made half the thickness of the standard bumpers. I have a set of these bumpers on my 63 Savoy max wedge.
Sorry, but you are incorrect. Chevy debuted it in the 50's with the Corvette. It's been in constant use by Chevy for over 70 years. Its why Dodge can't label them SS on any official documentation.

·
Registered
2020 SRT Super Stock
43 Posts
Sorry, but you are incorrect. Chevy debuted it in the 50's with the Corvette. It's been in constant use by Chevy for over 70 years. Its why Dodge can't label them SS on any official documentation.
Are you refering to Super Sport which is what SS stands for because..... I'm refering to Super Stock.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye NB
389 Posts
Are you refering to Super Sport which is what SS stands for because..... I'm refering to Super Stock.
A little of both actually. The Super Stock racing that was started in the late 50's early 60's involved GM, Dodge, Ford, etc... Dodge may have used the label, but all of the big 3 did it. Again, this is why FCA/Stellantis can't label them SS cars..

·
Registered
2020 SRT Super Stock
43 Posts
A little of both actually. The Super Stock racing that was started in the late 50's early 60's involved GM, Dodge, Ford, etc... Dodge may have used the label, but all of the big 3 did it. Again, this is why FCA/Stellantis can't label them SS cars..
Yes Super stock was the class run and is still popular today but Chevy never made a Super stock it was Mopar.
Look up cars like 1968 Dodge Dart Super Stock and Mopar built a purpose built car and at least 50 to run in the class and sold as Super Stock just as they do today. My window sticker says SRT Challenger Super Stock.

·
Premium Member
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,731 Posts
Yes Super stock was the class run and is still popular today but Chevy never made a Super stock it was Mopar.
Look up cars like 1968 Dodge Dart Super Stock and Mopar built a purpose built car and at least 50 to run in the class and sold as Super Stock just as they do today. My window sticker says SRT Challenger Super Stock.
But your title will not.

·
Registered
2020 SRT Super Stock
43 Posts
But your title will not.
Correct title says Challenger on all Challengers.
Sorry to sidetrack the OP but I think it might be generational the Super Stock misunderstanding. I'm 58 and never have I heard Super Stock in reference to car model and thought of Chevy. Never have I heard Super Sport and thought of Mopar. I've owned plenty of both over the years.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
801 Posts
Dodge was building Super stocks in the early 60's and dominating the drag strip it's more of a Mopar moniker than Chevy. Altered wheel base cars, w View attachment 572119 eight savings with acid dipped bodies, stripped down interiors with a lightweight seat from the A100 van, no window regulators and bumpers made half the thickness of the standard bumpers. I have a set of these bumpers on my 63 Savoy max wedge.
I know, I was mainly digging at you folks for using the SS shorthand. And, we all know that SS on a Chevy stands for Super Slow. Get it right, gosh.

·
Premium Member
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,731 Posts
Reactions: Gotgap and Chancey

·
Registered
2020 SRT Super Stock
43 Posts
Love that last pic of the 69 1/2 RR. I was at the unveiling of that car at Chryslers at Carlisle when Joe Carrol restored the car and sent it off to Barret Jackson and it hammered for only 100Kish which surprised us all. All of the magazine articles, one owner history we thought the car would ring the bell.
Low numbers again this year for 2021 Super Stocks should keep them sought after and prices high for resale.

61 - 80 of 149 Posts