SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
.2020 HCNBM6. ...2022 RENB...
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of you may already know the 2022 is not compatible with prior year TPMS sensors. I bought a pair of OEM sensors:

I finally installed them:

THE GOOD: They are now installed, within 2 mi they started working, done!

THE BAD: Everything below:

Dropped off the tires, wheels and TPMS. Dealer calls, "Hey, the TPMS don't fit, must be a problem with the aftermarket wheels". WTF! So I'm thinking it's not enough that they change RF properties of the TPMS for '22, but they changed the dimensions?!?!?

He shows me the problem, when you screw the nut on, it won’t go on all the way, when tight there was still about 1/4" of thread showing and you couldn't screw it down any further! I'm thinking maybe the threads were not cut full depth???

I take them home and measure them up. If you look at the photo you will see a white plastic (nylon?) ring between the cap and threads. This ring measures .390dia. The nut was partially threaded 10mm and the unthreaded portion (under the hex) was .360dia. I guess this is meant to be an interference fit for some reason, but the polymer is much too hard to compress .030. I popped the nut into a lathe and ran a .377 drill through it and still, no f'ing way to get the ring to fit in. Next size I had was .386, it worked but I would have preferred it to be a bit tighter, but good enough.

I guess the "normal" people who can't figure things out and have a lathe handy are screwed.

Funny thing, at about 2mi I got a TPMS warning showing that NONE of the sensors were working! (Again, WTF!!!) Then the fronts came back, then the RR, then the LR, car is happy, finally!
Product Font Adapter Material property Liquid

·
Registered
2022 Frostbite SS Ordered 03/24/22, DELIVERED 08/12/2022
254 Posts
You mean everyone doesn’t have access to a lathe???!!!

Just kidding,
I’m a tool and die maker/machinist :)

·
Registered
2022 Charger Redeye
523 Posts
Good to know. Guess they complicated things since 2015. I know I’ll need spare wheels for my 22 eventually. Just don’t want to get a lathe too😂😂😂. But I could run one.👍

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had my OEM TPMS installed into my FR73s without issue. That was after trying two aftermarket brands that don't work with MY22 even though they claim they do.... I can't figure why change the tpms now after the car has been out for so long.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
289 Posts
I'm getting used to having the TPMS light on all the time.

• Haha
Reactions: 2ndAmend

·
Registered
2022 Frostbite SS Ordered 03/24/22, DELIVERED 08/12/2022
254 Posts
It's on in my Ram all the time, I have a set of 20" factory black sport rims for my summer tires (no sensors) and the original chrome 20" rims for my winter tires. So I drive around all summer long with the light on, well until I put a new set of tires on then I will add sensors at that time but, yeah you get used to it.:)

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm getting used to having the TPMS light on all the time.
I don't mind the light, it bothers my wife way more than me (even if I am driving). What I don't like is that the display stays on the warning screen and I have to scroll back to the speedo every time I start.

·
Registered
Workiing On It
4 Posts
So...for us none lathe owners....is this correct:
1. The nut on the piece is only for TURNING that piece onto the TPMS. The threads are not necessary.
2. The threads which screw on to the TPMS are actually in the smooth end.
3. Why do you need a lathe? Does a drill, though crude, not work?

Remember when the only warning light you ever got was for an unfastened seat belt? And you quickly disengaged that piece of crap light/buzzer.

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I suggest first getting your new TPMS and see if drilling is needed, hopefully it was only one lot that has the problem.

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What do you want to bet they won't pay for the installation on my aftermarket wheels!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts