SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Hellcat A8 WB with only 1500 miles. It has literally been in the shop more than it has been on the road. A 2172 code has come up twice and goes into limp mode. This time it has been at the dealership 15 days with no clue as to what is causing the problem. This problem is frustrating and really bad for a vehicle of this caliber. NOT IMPRESSED!!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,787 Posts
I have a 2019 Hellcat A8 WB with only 1500 miles. It has literally been in the shop more than it has been on the road. A 2172 code has come up twice and goes into limp mode. This time it has been at the dealership 15 days with no clue as to what is causing the problem. This problem is frustrating and really bad for a vehicle of this caliber. NOT IMPRESSED!!
Bit a bad luck with your new car. Not fun, I'm sure.

First, you might look into the lemon law in your state and find out what it takes to make a good case and start now and working back in time if you have to begin to build a case just in case.

P2172: Throttle actuator control system; Sudden high air flow detected.

Potential causes of the P2172 throttle engine code may include:

Vacuum Leaks
Manifold Absolute Pressure Malfunction
Abnormal System Voltages

While a vacuum leak is listed first I wonder about "abnormal system voltages". When I took my Hellcat in for a goofy paddle shifter problem: The +paddle would cause a down shift once in a while rather then the expected up shift; the shop foreman "pulled the codes" and found several low voltage errors. Now I often check the battery voltage "gauge" and I have never seen it below 14.0V and often it is 14.1V to 14.4V.

Also, I have a trip/data logger plugged into the car's OBD2 port and it reads and logs battery voltage every 5 seconds. I scanned hundreds of trips for any low battery conditions and found none. Also, the device checks for active DTCs every 60 seconds and it never recorded one DTC. This strongly suggests the car's electronics can log proprietary DTCs that are obtainable only by using the appropriate Dodge diagnostic computer.

The tech applied 3 updates to the car: CAN/cruise control; and one unnamed/unnumbered engine controller update and one unnamed/unnumbered transmission controller update. And I vowed to drive the car more often hoping to keep the battery from getting low on voltage. This worked for months but with the onset of colder weather and wetter weather, I stopped using the car as often as I did during the nicer months. The +upshift behavior returned.

Back to your car: With the OBD2 when one or more DTCs are logged there is also freeze frame data. This is a snap shot of some engine telemetry along with the code that triggered the CEL This freeze frame data might contain a hint as what is wrong. If there was a spike or dip in voltage, or a spike/dip in manifold absolute pressure or some other obvious and transitory change in some sensor's output that should provide the tech with a clue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update
First, thank you for your response! My Hellcat is back in the shop with the same problem. It now has 2000 miles 25% of which have been put on it by auto techs trying to diagnose all of the problems. Two vacuum leaks have been repaired and all 4 MAP sensors have been replaced. Now we are replacing the K9 wiring harness. Overall terrible product and response from FCA. I have had this vehicle for 17 months and it has been undrivable for nearly all of this time

·
Registered
7 Posts
definitely look into your states lemon law. I just spent about a year fighting gm about a problematic chevy work truck. they had to buy it back

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Bit a bad luck with your new car. Not fun, I'm sure.

First, you might look into the lemon law in your state and find out what it takes to make a good case and start now and working back in time if you have to begin to build a case just in case.

P2172: Throttle actuator control system; Sudden high air flow detected.

Potential causes of the P2172 throttle engine code may include:

Vacuum Leaks
Manifold Absolute Pressure Malfunction
Abnormal System Voltages

While a vacuum leak is listed first I wonder about "abnormal system voltages". When I took my Hellcat in for a goofy paddle shifter problem: The +paddle would cause a down shift once in a while rather then the expected up shift; the shop foreman "pulled the codes" and found several low voltage errors. Now I often check the battery voltage "gauge" and I have never seen it below 14.0V and often it is 14.1V to 14.4V.

Also, I have a trip/data logger plugged into the car's OBD2 port and it reads and logs battery voltage every 5 seconds. I scanned hundreds of trips for any low battery conditions and found none. Also, the device checks for active DTCs every 60 seconds and it never recorded one DTC. This strongly suggests the car's electronics can log proprietary DTCs that are obtainable only by using the appropriate Dodge diagnostic computer.

The tech applied 3 updates to the car: CAN/cruise control; and one unnamed/unnumbered engine controller update and one unnamed/unnumbered transmission controller update. And I vowed to drive the car more often hoping to keep the battery from getting low on voltage. This worked for months but with the onset of colder weather and wetter weather, I stopped using the car as often as I did during the nicer months. The +upshift behavior returned.

Back to your car: With the OBD2 when one or more DTCs are logged there is also freeze frame data. This is a snap shot of some engine telemetry along with the code that triggered the CEL This freeze frame data might contain a hint as what is wrong. If there was a spike or dip in voltage, or a spike/dip in manifold absolute pressure or some other obvious and transitory change in some sensor's output that should provide the tech with a clue.
Rockstar. this is a great post, well written and on point. I learned that freeze frame can capture a group of important telemetry data that can provide clues for the tech to follow up on. Another approach is to call the regional service manager and ask them if there is an especially talented senior tech at a nearby dealership that can diagnose the car. I really hope that this will help the OP to find out what is happening with his P2172 problem. If all else fails exercising the lemon law is a last resort.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts