SRT Hellcat Forum banner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,675 Posts
I certainly hope so. My employer put us on furlough, for which I am thankful. So many businesses around here laid off and it seems there are some that won;t have the financial ability to re-open. I have about 5 more weeks out unless they tell us otherwise. Hang in there!
You likewise.

Staying busy but not in a good way. I'm having issues with signing up for Medicare Part B -- when I was laid off I lost my group health through my employer and I'm in a special enrollment period in which I can now sign up for Part B. My employer paid for one month of COBRA but I want to get Part B going by next month. COBRA coverage is approx. $1100/month.

The instructions were to fill out some forms and bring them to the local Social Security office. 'course, with the shutdown that's not possible so I had to mail them in.

Also, registered with the EDD (employment development department) here in CA to file for unemployment benefits. Had a heck of a time but finally managed to register and file a claim. Can't check on claim progress until I get an claim account number mailed to me. The web site says to allow 10 days for this to show up. It was 10 days yesterday.

And of course the instructions are if this does not arrive to visit or call the local EDD office in my area but the offices are shut and a phone call is just an eternity on hold.

Want to get the Medicare and unemployment claim out of the way so I can then take off and look for another place to live in case I don't get rehired before my lease is up here. Have to either agree to a new lease or give notice 60 days before my lease is up and it is up July 27. So May 26 is my deadline. If I don't stay here I'm going to move east to some place in the Central Valley (not my favorite region of CA) or more likely even a bit further east into the Sierra foothills to get into much less expensive living quarters, even perhaps buy a place.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
13 Posts
You likewise.

Staying busy but not in a good way. I'm having issues with signing up for Medicare Part B -- when I was laid off I lost my group health through my employer and I'm in a special enrollment period in which I can now sign up for Part B. My employer paid for one month of COBRA but I want to get Part B going by next month. COBRA coverage is approx. $1100/month.

The instructions were to fill out some forms and bring them to the local Social Security office. 'course, with the shutdown that's not possible so I had to mail them in.

Also, registered with the EDD (employment development department) here in CA to file for unemployment benefits. Had a heck of a time but finally managed to register and file a claim. Can't check on claim progress until I get an claim account number mailed to me. The web site says to allow 10 days for this to show up. It was 10 days yesterday.

And of course the instructions are if this does not arrive to visit or call the local EDD office in my area but the offices are shut and a phone call is just an eternity on hold.

Want to get the Medicare and unemployment claim out of the way so I can then take off and look for another place to live in case I don't get rehired before my lease is up here. Have to either agree to a new lease or give notice 60 days before my lease is up and it is up July 27. So May 26 is my deadline. If I don't stay here I'm going to move east to some place in the Central Valley (not my favorite region of CA) or more likely even a bit further east into the Sierra foothills to get into much less expensive living quarters, even perhaps buy a place.
Sounds like we're in the same boat. I'm thinking about what I need to do about Medicaid/Medicare, my military pension, and us moving. We're leasing as well here, but considering purchasing a house. I'm wondering, though, how the housing market will be once this virus thing resolves. Rumor around here is that car prices will take a significant drop, but I'm not so sure housing will do the same.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,675 Posts
Sounds like we're in the same boat. I'm thinking about what I need to do about Medicaid/Medicare, my military pension, and us moving. We're leasing as well here, but considering purchasing a house. I'm wondering, though, how the housing market will be once this virus thing resolves. Rumor around here is that car prices will take a significant drop, but I'm not so sure housing will do the same.
Bit of good news. Local (Walnut Creek) Social Security office called me yesterday to let me know my enrollment in Medicare Part B was approved and I should get some paperwork with a new Medicare card in the mail shortly.

Was asked when I wanted the coverage to start and I said May 1 at midnight would be ok. My COBRA coverage expires at 11:59:59 April 30.

No word yet on my unemployment benefit claim.

Since it is almost a 100% certainty I will not be rehired -- word I get from co-workers still working is there are more layoffs likely towards the end of the year so no expectation my employer would seek to add staff in the meantime -- and I can't stay here and will have to move my sister has been bombarding me with links to houses for sale over where she lives in the Turlock area. There are some nice and like I want most in a 55+ community. But prices are a bit high. $320K+. While I have more than that amount of cash to spend I want to keep some cash on hand for just in case. With the market down I would prefer to delay tapping my retirement savings.

There's the prices. But there is also the feeling I do not want to remain in CA when I retire. With the shutdown and the huge number of jobs that are forecast to be lost because of this (estimates put the number of jobs lost in the SF Bay Area alone at 800,000!), living in CA will become too expensive for many and the flight from CA will accelerate. This will severely lower the tax base and taxes will go up here. They are already high but that won't keep them from going higher. And so far the majority of CA voters appear to vote for every tax hike.

$150K to $200K in many other areas of the country would buy me a pretty nice house. This would leave me with a good cash reserve to use to weather out this down market. Plus the cost of living is much less. Even when using Turlock to compare to other places, and Turlock has a pretty low cost of living index compared to many other cities of about the same size in CA, about every place outside of CA comes in way under Turlock in the cost of living comparison.

Home prices should take a hit as the effects of the shutdown ripple through the economy. But I can't even make a WAG as to how much this will effect prices and when.

It could be a bit ironic that home prices suffer the biggest hit in places like CA. Still even if I found a house at something less than $320K the cost of living here is killer and likely to get worse before it gets better.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
13 Posts
Bit of good news. Local (Walnut Creek) Social Security office called me yesterday to let me know my enrollment in Medicare Part B was approved and I should get some paperwork with a new Medicare card in the mail shortly.

Was asked when I wanted the coverage to start and I said May 1 at midnight would be ok. My COBRA coverage expires at 11:59:59 April 30.

No word yet on my unemployment benefit claim.

Since it is almost a 100% certainty I will not be rehired -- word I get from co-workers still working is there are more layoffs likely towards the end of the year so no expectation my employer would seek to add staff in the meantime -- and I can't stay here and will have to move my sister has been bombarding me with links to houses for sale over where she lives in the Turlock area. There are some nice and like I want most in a 55+ community. But prices are a bit high. $320K+. While I have more than that amount of cash to spend I want to keep some cash on hand for just in case. With the market down I would prefer to delay tapping my retirement savings.

There's the prices. But there is also the feeling I do not want to remain in CA when I retire. With the shutdown and the huge number of jobs that are forecast to be lost because of this (estimates put the number of jobs lost in the SF Bay Area alone at 800,000!), living in CA will become too expensive for many and the flight from CA will accelerate. This will severely lower the tax base and taxes will go up here. They are already high but that won't keep them from going higher. And so far the majority of CA voters appear to vote for every tax hike.

$150K to $200K in many other areas of the country would buy me a pretty nice house. This would leave me with a good cash reserve to use to weather out this down market. Plus the cost of living is much less. Even when using Turlock to compare to other places, and Turlock has a pretty low cost of living index compared to many other cities of about the same size in CA, about every place outside of CA comes in way under Turlock in the cost of living comparison.

Home prices should take a hit as the effects of the shutdown ripple through the economy. But I can't even make a WAG as to how much this will effect prices and when.

It could be a bit ironic that home prices suffer the biggest hit in places like CA. Still even if I found a house at something less than $320K the cost of living here is killer and likely to get worse before it gets better.
Congrats on that good news! I suspect that you're predictions are right. Around here, we can get a really nice house for $325k, but even less will still get you a nice 3 bdrm house with a two car garage. Like any coastal town, the closer to the water, the higher the taxes, price. and insurance. A mile or two inland, you'll see a $100k+ drop in house prices. What is great is that we are in a rural county and our tax base is low, so that's a good offset for house purchases. Like you, I'm uncertain of the employment issues that might arise here as well. Any employer can say they don't, but they discriminate against hiring an older adult. This has been an issue for me for several years, especially after leaving the military. I'm seriously considering retiring as soon as I can. It's just not worth the headache. I have family in CA as well having been there a couple of times. The cost of living there is tough for sure! Might be a good time for that move!

61 - 64 of 64 Posts