SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
In The Market
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there has been a lot of discussion about switching from 2.62 to 3.09 rear end gear ratio. What i want to know from people that have done it is this " Am i just going to get more wheel spin, less traction if I have the 3.09 gears installed" Right now I already have to play with the throttle (ease into the power) or it is just a burnout machine. I since had some Nitto NT555R Drag Radials put on and that helped quit a bit. I have a 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB.
Sorry if it has already been discussed too much. :)
Thank you in advance

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,469 Posts
Yes a lot more wheelspin without a good set of drag radials.

·
Premium Member
Charger SRT Hellcat
7,042 Posts
Whether you have the 262s or the 309s. You will always have to " play with the throttle" If you go to the track you will have to learn how to launch and " play with the throttle "
I also own a 2010 Challenger that also will have tire spin. Lots of Torque and learning to get the power to the ground is just something you have to do.

309 gears are my favorite mod gift from my husband @Top Cat. My Charger was 1st to have them installed. When launching at the track they made my HC feel more like a race car.

I don't have a problem Daily Driving my HC with 309 gears and I still use all season Pirellis.

I have driven with Nittos from the track and do not like worrying about if it rains. I had that experience once and once was enough for me.

Nittos love to be heated when racing a will require a big smokey burnout.
I'll bet they also work well for those in Hot weather areas or summertime.

Don't be afraid of 309 gears It is what it is. After all the Redeye can be ordered with 309 gears.
You have a Widebody and are lucky to be able to use a wider tire. So your tire patch will help too.

Linda :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
2.62 will start to pull away from the 3.09 and if your going to add more horsepower to your car as well you wont be able to use It as efficiently because of how fast the shifts are so more wheel spin, if you want to grip and go spend the money on the suspension getting rid of the factory toothpicks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Owner of a new RE that came with factory 3.09 rear. You'll be shifting substantially quicker and spinning more when you get on it vs the 2.62. Not sure if I like it or not, need to drive it some more. I couldn't care less about losing a few mph top speed..

I think we can all agree that we'd enjoy the car either way :cool:

·
Registered
2020 F8 Redeye Widebody
19 Posts
Ordered my F8 RE a few weeks ago with 3.09 gears. I have an 11 SRT8 6M that spins significantly through 1 + 2 with just long tubes, exhaust, intake, tune, I can't imagine that the widebody on 3.09's will spin any more or less with proper throttle control. These are 800HP machines, spinning is the name of the game unless on super wide super sticky tires on a track. Just my .02. Drive it, enjoy it. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ordered my F8 RE a few weeks ago with 3.09 gears. I have an 11 SRT8 6M that spins significantly through 1 + 2 with just long tubes, exhaust, intake, tune, I can't imagine that the widebody on 3.09's will spin any more or less with proper throttle control. These are 800HP machines, spinning is the name of the game unless on super wide super sticky tires on a track. Just my .02. Drive it, enjoy it. :)
You should probably start imagining now then 😂

·
Registered
2020 F8 Redeye Widebody
19 Posts
You should probably start imagining now then 😂
With proper throttle control and someone who is in tune with their machine, spinning can be minimized. You can't SMASH the pedal REGARDLESS of gears and expect it to plant, hook, and scoot unless you're running MT's on a properly prepped track.

·
Registered
13 Posts
With proper throttle control and someone who is in tune with their machine, spinning can be minimized. You can't SMASH the pedal REGARDLESS of gears and expect it to plant, hook, and scoot unless you're running MT's on a properly prepped track.
Don’t disagree with you, but there’s definitely a difference between the two rear axles. I’m also coming off my 16 Hellcat and just getting familiar with the RE. Had it less than a week but there’s a significant difference in the rear. Not saying you can’t handle it, but to say there’s not much of a difference would be a stretch. Again, just my .02.

·
Registered
2020 F8 Redeye Widebody
19 Posts
Hellcat 6M or 8A? Massive difference.

·
Registered
2020 F8 Redeye Widebody
19 Posts
Hop in a 6M putting 475 wheel with a 3.92 Getrag on 245's. ;)

·
Registered
In The Market
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Whether you have the 262s or the 309s. You will always have to " play with the throttle" If you go to the track you will have to learn how to launch and " play with the throttle "
I also own a 2010 Challenger that also will have tire spin. Lots of Torque and learning to get the power to the ground is just something you have to do.

309 gears are my favorite mod gift from my husband @Top Cat. My Charger was 1st to have them installed. When launching at the track they made my HC feel more like a race car.

I don't have a problem Daily Driving my HC with 309 gears and I still use all season Pirellis.

I have driven with Nittos from the track and do not like worrying about if it rains. I had that experience once and once was enough for me.

Nittos love to be heated when racing a will require a big smokey burnout.
I'll bet they also work well for those in Hot weather areas or summertime.

Don't be afraid of 309 gears It is what it is. After all the Redeye can be ordered with 309 gears.
You have a Widebody and are lucky to be able to use a wider tire. So your tire patch will help too.

Linda :)
Thank you Linda for you insight. I am in California and don't drive in the rain. So, am I hearing with the 3.09 for street racing, I should get quicker acceleration if I can put the power to the ground? I wish there was a Drag strip close by, I use to go a lot when I was younger but they closed down. Thanks again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hop in a 6M putting 475 wheel with a 3.92 Getrag on 245's. ;)
I’m just a dad with an expensive hobby my friend. Definitely not going to be mistaken for Dale Earnhardt JR anytime soon. Just giving (the original post-er) my thoughts based on my experience.

Enjoy your new sled 👍🏼

·
Registered
In The Market
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
2.62 will start to pull away from the 3.09 and if your going to add more horsepower to your car as well you wont be able to use It as efficiently because of how fast the shifts are so more wheel spin, if you want to grip and go spend the money on the suspension getting rid of the factory toothpicks.
For sure, I was looking at the AAD rear wheel hop kit. What do you think are these the best?
Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
2020 F8 Redeye Widebody
19 Posts
For sure, I was looking at the AAD rear wheel hop kit. What do you think are these the best?
Thank you for your input.
AAD makes TOP NOTCH stuff, Parker is a great guy, too. He has always taken care of me. I think two kits are worthwhile: differential brace by per4mance and the AAD wheel hop kit. The other thing I’ve found helps SIGNIFICANTLY is whiteline bushings in the rear cradle as well as whiteline bushings for the diff. Transmits more vibration through your frame but it stiffens things up incredibly.

I mention bushings because to do the full rear suspension upgrade by AAD you have to lower the rear cradle, anyways. Not a whole lot of work, I can do one in about an hour and a half, sometimes a bit more if I’m not rushing. So if it’s down, might as well use the $100 bushing removal and installation kit and swap to poly cradle bushings too.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts