SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up dudes and dude dudettes,
I have most of my parts im for my build, and should have the rest in within the next week or 2, just waiting on the bwoody heat exchanger.
Ripa "Pump gas killer”. 2.79
Brisk plugs
180 stat
Crank pinned
JLT intake
SW catless
Vibrant ultra quiet res
Bwoody heat exchanger
HP tuner by DSMlights
FIC 1200cc

I've been looking at doing a Driveshaft for a bit now,, but it seems as though many people say the stock is good for up to 900/1k. With the redeye charger coming out shortly, im considering getting the factory charger redeye DS when it becomes available.
That said, I've also been reading a considerable amount on the 3.09s, and everyone that has one is in love with it. My concern is traction. Currently on 555r2 which I love! But am told they won't hold when my build gets done.
Thoughts on any other 3.09 considerations?

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
8,480 Posts
From what Ive read the consensus is that they're a ton of fun on the street, which I know they are because my RE has them. But if youre going to the strip the 2.62‘s are actually easier to get traction with.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks @Slowpoke387 , im street only for at least until its not my DD, but I dont see myself going to track days more than a day or 2 a year

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't have that, and I only race on normal tracks and autocross (not drag is what I mean) but I know for certain that racers that drag and end up putting something like 1000 hp out end up swapping back to the original gearing for some reason. So if they don't use it...

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have that, and I only race on normal tracks and autocross (not drag is what I mean) but I know for certain that racers that drag and end up putting something like 1000 hp out end up swapping back to the original gearing for some reason. So if they don't use it...
Valid point, I was thinking of this also and think its due to traction. That said, if its good for a demon... lol

·
Registered
In The Market
504 Posts
I look into who has them. Racer X has run mid 9's and BMason has them and runs low 10's

·
Registered
In The Market
504 Posts
The bolts are small and he snapped those. They should drill out the mounting holes and install bigger bolts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Same difference man, are you going to answer rhe question or nit pick lol

·
Registered
In The Market
504 Posts
Really isn't the same, the holes that already exist in the cradle are used for the bolts which are small so they are limited on the size they can use. Some of the early cars they are threaded, the later one's you need to use a nut on the top. I have the same one he has made by Per4mance which was on my car when I bought it. He is upgrading to one of their beefer one's

·
Administrator
Challenger SRT Hellcat
7,652 Posts
The 3.09 will liven up the car in day to day driving. It will be more responsive.
The ones that have changed to 3.09 and run on the track say it helps.
There are 3 HC's at my track that run close times at the track. All on stock power and 1 has the 3.09. The last time we were out at the same time.
We ran within .15 of each other.
The 3.09 car's 60' was the best by .015 but that advantage was no more before the 1/8 mile and he was slower by .14 in the 1/4 as well as almost 3mph slower. This was same day back to back runs for comparison. The 3.09 car is the only other car I know of that has run 10.37 on stock power a year before I did.

For a comparison people run the old gear and then the 3.09 and it runs quicker so the gear is what did it.
The slight difference in weather could have a bigger effect.

I know many will argue with what I say on the subject. That's fine.
2 different stock cars with 3.09 and one of them I raced when it had 2.62's. That car is still slower by the same amount against my car. Neither has been quicker on the same day.
So for me o ar the 3.09 only gives you a more lively car driving on the road.
No big advantage at the track in my opinion for what it's worth

·
Registered
In The Market
504 Posts
The 3.09 will liven up the car in day to day driving. It will be more responsive.
The ones that have changed to 3.09 and run on the track say it helps.
There are 3 HC's at my track that run close times at the track. All on stock power and 1 has the 3.09. The last time we were out at the same time.
We ran within .15 of each other.
The 3.09 car's 60' was the best by .015 but that advantage was no more before the 1/8 mile and he was slower by .14 in the 1/4 as well as almost 3mph slower. This was same day back to back runs for comparison. The 3.09 car is the only other car I know of that has run 10.37 on stock power a year before I did.

For a comparison people run the old gear and then the 3.09 and it runs quicker so the gear is what did it.
The slight difference in weather could have a bigger effect.

I know many will argue with what I say on the subject. That's fine.
2 different stock cars with 3.09 and one of them I raced when it had 2.62's. That car is still slower by the same amount against my car. Neither has been quicker on the same day.
So for me o ar the 3.09 only gives you a more lively car driving on the road.
No big advantage at the track in my opinion for what it's worth
I get it, this is what you have seen. I asked Bmason and he said for him it was .15 quicker and picked up MPH. He did make tweeks to shift points so that may be the difference? I already have the gears and at some point I will try
them. I can always but the stock gears back in. I'm looking to see how fast I can make mine without a tune and pulley so I'm limited on what I can do. I do think I can get to 10.60. Based on what I have run in 2500 DA I should be in the 10.70's with 0 da maybe even close in -500 da without changing anything

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Really isn't the same, the holes that already exist in the cradle are used for the bolts which are small so they are limited on the size they can use. Some of the early cars they are threaded, the later one's you need to use a nut on the top. I have the same one he has made by Per4mance which was on my car when I bought it. He is upgrading to one of their beefer one's
Great man, feel free not to reply any more off topic responses 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I get it, this is what you have seen. I asked Bmason and he said for him it was .15 quicker and picked up MPH. He did make tweeks to shift points so that may be the difference? I already have the gears and at some point I will try
them. I can always but the stock gears back in. I'm looking to see how fast I can make mine without a tune and pulley so I'm limited on what I can do. I do think I can get to 10.60. Based on what I have run in 2500 DA I should be in the 10.70's with 0 da maybe even close in -500 da without changing anything
Thanks man, sounds functional

·
Administrator
Challenger SRT Hellcat
7,652 Posts
The shift points may have had a bigger effect from what I have seen.
If you have the 3.09 then go for it I would. Up here a 3.09 gear is about $2k so I am not in any hurry to try that out. Especially with the comparisons I mentioned.
If I thought I could get .15 I would do it maybe even at that price. A tune and trans tune is cheaper for me and the gains are probably closer to .2 even on stock boost as they say. Eventhough after about 6000rpm you are no longer at stock boost. But that is another argument. LOL
I am curious what you will see with the gears.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The shift points may have had a bigger effect from what I have seen.
If you have the 3.09 then go for it I would. Up here a 3.09 gear is about $2k so I am not in any hurry to try that out. Especially with the comparisons I mentioned.
If I thought I could get .15 I would do it maybe even at that price. A tune and trans tune is cheaper for me and the gains are probably closer to .2 even on stock boost as they say. Eventhough after about 6000rpm you are no longer at stock boost. But that is another argument. LOL
I am curious what you will see with the gears.
I'm getting a tune and trans tune already, and I can get a brand new 3.09 for 650$
Still same thiught?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
60 Posts
Theres two different 3.09's. theres the scat pack ones and the demon/redeye one. The scatpack are 650 new. The demon are just beefier internally and are twice the price. I put a demon rear end in my cat. Its a lot of fun but you go through gas like crazy if you highway your car a lot (I do) and at the track with the same rim and tire as a dodge demon, I spun all of first gear. The car is def faster just hard to grab traction.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The gears that I'm talking about are 1300 from Mopar, but 700 everywhere aftermarket. I am a disabled veteran, summit offers a military discount with ID. Someone with a redeye chime in, but i have NEVER heard of any company making 2 of the same gear set differentials....

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
this is a copy paste, and the going theory is nothing is different besides the srt logo on the front case. If anyone has any proof (not I think) then please provide and I'd dish out the additional cash

1 - 20 of 42 Posts